8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
1 ) get a blank key

2 ) get it cut then test in all locks before going any further

3 ) remove the plastic head of the key - bench grinder ideal but anything will do

4 ) remove the front face of the Porsche key head, small screwdriver to gently remove it
then note the oblong section at an angle on the right side, has a tiny spring to hold it against the key blade.
this needs to be held away from the key blade, or removed so the key blade can be removed
blade is a tight fit in the head, hold key blade in a vice and gently lever the head off

5 ) original key on left new key on right

more to follow
By h2pmr
6 ) then its "just" a case of making the new key the same shape

new key thickness compared to the original one + needs a very slight amount of metal removing from the sides of the blade

7 ) wrap new key blade in masking tape to the edge of the metal you are going to remove
if using a bench grinder make sure the stone is well dressed and has a sharp edge to it - unlike mine, but this new key blade has been cut wrong so just being used for picture purposes

8 ) then fit old key back in original key head and fit new key in a new Porsche head and should look like it did for the first owner :thumbup: :thumbup:

usual rules apply, once the metal is removed its gone for good
better to keep measuring and test fitting

hope this helps someone
cheers
Phil
worf, Zirconocene liked this
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

K Mag again...... you know he was sweating the[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

thanks Dave, so all got the bracket… That i[…]

my #3 restoration thread

finally got around to removing the coolant bridge,[…]