8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
1 ) get a blank key

2 ) get it cut then test in all locks before going any further

3 ) remove the plastic head of the key - bench grinder ideal but anything will do

4 ) remove the front face of the Porsche key head, small screwdriver to gently remove it
then note the oblong section at an angle on the right side, has a tiny spring to hold it against the key blade.
this needs to be held away from the key blade, or removed so the key blade can be removed
blade is a tight fit in the head, hold key blade in a vice and gently lever the head off

5 ) original key on left new key on right

more to follow
By h2pmr
6 ) then its "just" a case of making the new key the same shape

new key thickness compared to the original one + needs a very slight amount of metal removing from the sides of the blade

7 ) wrap new key blade in masking tape to the edge of the metal you are going to remove
if using a bench grinder make sure the stone is well dressed and has a sharp edge to it - unlike mine, but this new key blade has been cut wrong so just being used for picture purposes

8 ) then fit old key back in original key head and fit new key in a new Porsche head and should look like it did for the first owner :thumbup: :thumbup:

usual rules apply, once the metal is removed its gone for good
better to keep measuring and test fitting

hope this helps someone
cheers
Phil
worf, Zirconocene liked this
24 Hours Le Mans

Congrats to Ferrari and to Porsche for the GT wi[…]

A/C blowing warm after a while

Come to think of it, the amount of airflow through[…]

my #3 restoration thread

finally got it all cleaned and reassembled, left i[…]