8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By gregn928
While beginning the process of replacing my front right ABS harness, I discovered that the connectors in the engine compartment had become so brittle with age and heat that they are disintegrating with even the slightest movement:

Does someone have some wise advice on how I should proceed?

I'm also noticing that there is not much clearance between where the ABS harness passes through the fender wall and the two A/C lines that run right by that same location. It seems like it will be a real challenge to push the new connector through from the outside:

Replacing the font left ABS harness was so easy that it was almost fun. This front right one is the opposite of that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By gregn928
Thanks for the info, Maddog, but that Facebook link didn't come through. You can probably see above that it says "This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed."
By SeanR
I cut all the bad stuff out and replace them with these.

I’ve also used the 4 pin ones but they are not as easy to use. Sorry I didn’t reply to your email quicker but seeing this post reminded me.
By worf
Greg, it sounds like you’ve replaced the left side with a new harness already and the only challenge you face is how to replace the right side harness?

Yes, the right side sucks, but it can be done (without pulling the motor too!)

If you get stuck pulling the replacement into the engine bay then unfasten the 2 p-clamps that keep the A/C lines secured to the engine compartment. Then you’ll be able to wiggle them the few MMs need to get the connector through.
By gregn928
worf wrote:Greg, it sounds like you’ve replaced the left side with a new harness already and the only challenge you face is how to replace the right side harness?

Yes, the right side sucks, but it can be done (without pulling the motor too!)

If you get stuck pulling the replacement into the engine bay then unfasten the 2 p-clamps that keep the A/C lines secured to the engine compartment. Then you’ll be able to wiggle them the few MMs need to get the connector through.
David, Correct. I have a new ABS harness for the right front, but now I can't use it because the little connectors on the engine harness side are too brittle and falling apart. It sounds like the correct path forward is to snip the engine compartment connector off my new $170 ABS harness and use the Deutsch connectors instead. In hindsight, I think I should have just stayed with my old harness and replaced the disintegrated rubber sheathing in the wheel-well by wrapping with rubber sealing tape. But, looking at the bright side, if I lop off the big white connector from the new harness, it should be trivial to feed it though the fender wall opening and then put the Deutsch connector on afterward!

SeanR wrote:I cut all the bad stuff out and replace them with these. [2-pin connectors] I’ve also used the 4 pin ones but they are not as easy to use. Sorry I didn’t reply to your email quicker but seeing this post reminded me.
No problem, Sean. I know you're a busy man.

Now I'm confused as to whether I should use 2-pin, 4-pin or 6-pin Deutsch connectors in the engine bay. The harness has five wires, which I assume are:
2 ABS speed sensor
2 Brake pad warning
1 Ground

On the wheel side of the harness it makes sense to use the 2-pin connectors. But in the engine bay wouldn't it be better to use 4-pin or 6-pin? If the 2-pin are easier to use Sean, would you please explain how?

Hmm. I don't actually use my brake pad sensors, so now I'm tempted to just short that connection on the engine harness and utilize only a single 2-pin connector (for the wheel speed sensor). Would that be too sloppy? I don't normally cut corners. So many options to consider.
By worf
gregn928 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm David, Correct. I have a new ABS harness for the right front, but now I can't use it because the little connectors on the engine harness side are too brittle and falling apart. It sounds like the correct path forward is to snip the engine compartment connector off my new $170 ABS harness and use the Deutsch connectors instead.
Yup. This (dying ABS Harness connectors) is something we will all face real soon now.

I have an unused Deutsch connector kit on hand for my first client with dead ABS harness connectors.
gregn928 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm In hindsight, I think I should have just stayed with my old harness and replaced the disintegrated rubber sheathing in the wheel-well by wrapping with rubber sealing tape.
Well... there's also the issue of the weird rubber grommets on the wheel well harness that are retained by the U-shaped plastic retainers.

Those grommets are available after market but they are pricy for a full-car set (~350). Jeannie has a couple of sets in stock if you want them.
gregn928 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm But, looking at the bright side, if I lop off the big white connector from the new harness, it should be trivial to feed it though the fender wall opening and then put the Deutsch connector on afterward!
True.
gregn928 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:47 pm Hmm. I don't actually use my brake pad sensors, so now I'm tempted to just short that connection on the engine harness and utilize only a single 2-pin connector (for the wheel speed sensor). Would that be too sloppy? I don't normally cut corners. So many options to consider.
It seems unlikely that 'originality' will ever be really useful, since I highly doubt you'll ever sell your 928.

And in any case, when I am forced to resort to 'creative methods' many barriers to originality fall.

So, yeah, I'd probably just do a two pin for the ABS too on either my '89 or '91. For the GTS, I'd probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new ABS body harness.
gregn928 liked this
By maddog2020
Ironically Greg and I both were working on this tonight. I went with the 6 pin Duetch connectors like Sean posted and I added the barrel snap in's from the guy on ebay. Both sides done...

SeanR liked this
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:51 pm Ironically Greg and I both were working on this tonight. I went with the 6 pin Duetch connectors like Sean posted and I added the barrel snap in's from the guy on ebay. Both sides done...
Nice. Can you post the ebay link?
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 am no marketplace add, just contact the guy in the 3rd post from the top.
There is no “guy” in the 3rd post. There’s a 404 facebook link. Your last post said ebay.
By maddog2020
my bad. facebook not ebay. Guy named Victor Belanich. He posts on the 928 Docs page. If you do a search you can find his post about these.
By gregn928
I just couldn't convince myself to chop the big, white cylinder off my new $170 ABS harness. So, I ended up doing it the hard way. I decided to replace the disintegrated 2-pin connectors on my engine harness by buying a couple of eBay items. I found a 928 brake pad sensor for $9 and a Boxster ABS sensor for $20. I harvested the 2-pin connectors from the eBay parts to make pigtails and spliced them in to the engine harness. Here is the the final result:
worf liked this
By maddog2020
I didn't have to chop anything , the 2 pin ones from the main harness disintegrated in my hands and the big barrel connectors I squeezed with channel locks and heard them cracking like walnuts or the titan. then cut off the soldered pins. technically the ABS double pin could be salvaged from old abs sensors and the brake pad warning connector could be salvaged from old brake pad sensors. at this point I'm not throwing away anything that comes off the 928.
By fpena944
I'm not sure if this company would have this connector or not but on my Cayenne I had the same problem with the thermostat connection and didn't want to buy an entire wiring harness.

So I went here and described what I needed to the rep via online chat and they found the right part for me:

https://findpigtails.com/

It was expensive but exactly what was needed and got rid of my issue (which reminds me I need to update this thread: Cayenne P0599 code - "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High"?!?) and secured the connection.

Try them out and let us know if they happen to have it. It might be worth a shot.
By The Fat Man
For what it is worth, I tracked down the gentleman on FB 928 Docs that 3D printed the barrel adapters for using Duetsch connectors.

Here is his ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305021891511

I bought 4 sets for future use on the Red Witch.
Gary Knox, worf, Zirconocene and 1 others liked this
By worf
gregn928 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:27 pm I just couldn't convince myself to chop the big, white cylinder off my new $170 ABS harness. So, I ended up doing it the hard way. I decided to replace the disintegrated 2-pin connectors on my engine harness by buying a couple of eBay items. I found a 928 brake pad sensor for $9 and a Boxster ABS sensor for $20. I harvested the 2-pin connectors from the eBay parts to make pigtails and spliced them in to the engine harness. Here is the the final result:
Greg, I'm going to do the same thing. Can you post the ebay link to the Boxster ABS sensors? Thanks.
By worf
worf wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:26 pm
gregn928 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:27 pm I just couldn't convince myself to chop the big, white cylinder off my new $170 ABS harness. So, I ended up doing it the hard way. I decided to replace the disintegrated 2-pin connectors on my engine harness by buying a couple of eBay items. I found a 928 brake pad sensor for $9 and a Boxster ABS sensor for $20. I harvested the 2-pin connectors from the eBay parts to make pigtails and spliced them in to the engine harness. Here is the the final result:
Greg, I'm going to do the same thing. Can you post the ebay link to the Boxster ABS sensors? Thanks.
Or, just the part number.

Thanks.
By Zirconocene
@worf : You'll get the right PN, I'm sure, but just for S&Gs I took a look at PET and, lo and behold, there's a familiar PN lurking in that document: 928 612 566 00.

You told me at Camp 928 that 928 PNs show up on the 959, as well, which I think is super cool, but I've never been able to download that PET PDF. I did get a chance to ogle a 959 up close, however, and the airbox is eerily reminiscent of what's in the 928, so there's at least an influence in that particular PN.

/Random tangent
I sold my Miata

Going on 8 years with my 2006 as a daily driver

IMI starter PSA

Good to know.

Front Wiring Harness

I see that Kroon also has the FOE harness. Has a[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

Still a Max win today, but not like we're used to […]