Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By fpena944
Decided to put a couple of pet peeves into an opinion piece:

https://openroad.site/pages/2020/10/15/ ... ed-limits/

More to come on this subject! Since I learned to drive in Germany this is especially frustrating for me.

Enjoy!
By linderpat
Thread bump - I agree wholeheartedly with this. I get to the point where I give someone a few moments to move over, and then I start flicking hi-beams. If that doesn't work, I will pass on the right if I can (on a 4+ lane hwy) or pass crossing a double yellow if I don't see any LEO (and assuming no oncoming cars or bends in the road). If when passing, I see someone on a device like a phone, they get the horn and the finger. Nothing drives me more crazy. Also, it is just about universal around here in Western PA - if the car has an Ohio plate, it is a shitty driver. No exceptions - they must be taught in driver's ed to drive always in the left lane, and to do so slowly, and ignore everything around them. :rtfm:
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 am Thread bump - I agree wholeheartedly with this. I get to the point where I give someone a few moments to move over, and then I start flicking hi-beams. If that doesn't work, I will pass on the right if I can (on a 4+ lane hwy) or pass crossing a double yellow if I don't see any LEO (and assuming no oncoming cars or bends in the road). If when passing, I see someone on a device like a phone, they get the horn and the finger. Nothing drives me more crazy. Also, it is just about universal around here in Western PA - if the car has an Ohio plate, it is a shitty driver. No exceptions - they must be taught in driver's ed to drive always in the left lane, and to do so slowly, and ignore everything around them. :rtfm:
Problem is I even see law enforcement do this themselves AND they'll often run up behind someone and just swerve on by like nothing.

It seems about the only offense you can be charged with on today's highways is speeding. Anything else goes for the most part. Very frustrating as proper lane discipline would address a lot of congestion issues.
sundog liked this
By Johnny Five
Floor it or GTFO of the left lane. It’s called a “passing lane” for a reason.

Here’s the newest maneuver that has caught on in my town - I had never seen it in my life now people do it all the time.

Haul ass down the on-ramp to merge into 65 MPH highway traffic - it there’s a car anywhere near their merging zone they slam the brakes and come to a complete stop 2 feet away from 65 MPH traffic. Holy Fucking Shit people are stupid. I won’t stop for them anymore - they get passed on the soft shoulder or half way on the curb by a 3 ton Tundra with horn, brights, and a finger. Fuck them.
By linderpat
Johnny Five wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:46 pm Floor it or GTFO of the left lane. It’s called a “passing lane” for a reason.

Here’s the newest maneuver that has caught on in my town - I had never seen it in my life now people do it all the time.

Haul ass down the on-ramp to merge into 65 MPH highway traffic - it there’s a car anywhere near their merging zone they slam the brakes and come to a complete stop 2 feet away from 65 MPH traffic. Holy Fucking Shit people are stupid. I won’t stop for them anymore - they get passed on the soft shoulder or half way on the curb by a 3 ton Tundra with horn, brights, and a finger. Fuck them.
Yeah, I hate that when that happens. Trepiditious mice should stay home and not drive. All Volvo and Prious owners should be pulled over and have their licenses revoked on sight, and cars taken to the crusher. Same with anyone with an OH license plate :evilgrin:
By NCporsche
As to the comment about Ohio drivers. Made one recent trip to Ohio and was surprised when the WAZY app started alerting me to potholes. Ohio drivers must drive in the left lane to avoid these rim wreckers.
By Scott at Team Harco
NCporsche wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:52 am As to the comment about Ohio drivers. Made one recent trip to Ohio and was surprised when the WAZY app started alerting me to potholes. Ohio drivers must drive in the left lane to avoid these rim wreckers.
I don't think so. They get in the left lane and stay there. It doesn't matter whether they are driving in their home state, or not.
linderpat liked this
By linderpat
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 pm
NCporsche wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:52 am As to the comment about Ohio drivers. Made one recent trip to Ohio and was surprised when the WAZY app started alerting me to potholes. Ohio drivers must drive in the left lane to avoid these rim wreckers.
I don't think so. They get in the left lane and stay there. It doesn't matter whether they are driving in their home state, or not.
Exactly - when I see that ugly OH plate, and there are plenty of them around here in Western PA, I just start flicking hi-beams. I don't even give them a chance to move anymore. They apparently aren't taught to use rear view mirrors either. Having said all that, my 928 Buckeye Shark brothers are exceptional drivers :evilgrin:
By Scott at Team Harco
linderpat wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:59 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 pm
Exactly - when I see that ugly OH plate, and there are plenty of them around here in Western PA, I just start flicking hi-beams. I don't even give them a chance to move anymore. They apparently aren't taught to use rear view mirrors either. Having said all that, my 928 Buckeye Shark brothers are exceptional drivers :evilgrin:
There are always exceptions to the rule.
linderpat liked this
By DAVfoto
linderpat wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:22 am Thread bump - I agree wholeheartedly with this. I get to the point where I give someone a few moments to move over, and then I start flicking hi-beams. If that doesn't work, I will pass on the right if I can (on a 4+ lane hwy) or pass crossing a double yellow if I don't see any LEO (and assuming no oncoming cars or bends in the road). If when passing, I see someone on a device like a phone, they get the horn and the finger. Nothing drives me more crazy. Also, it is just about universal around here in Western PA - if the car has an Ohio plate, it is a shitty driver. No exceptions - they must be taught in driver's ed to drive always in the left lane, and to do so slowly, and ignore everything around them. :rtfm:
it isn't an Ohio thing but a USA thing. I love this country but when it comes to driving and drivers ed, we do it fucking terribly. It's too easy for people to get a god damn license in this country.

I came up on some asshole on the NJ turnpike of all places doing 68, if you have ever driven this interstate you know that most drive 85-90 and everyone was doing that in the right lanes passing this jackass which could have caused an accident.

My gets pissed off when I drop the hammer, pass them and give them a fucking stare down when I pass them doing 80 and I usually get up to 110 before I back off the throttle because it pisses me off. I do camp in the left lane some but I only do so when I am cruising at 90-100, so I am passing everyone anyways..

Edit: Speaking of Ohio people, I wish they would stay the fuck in their state and stop infiltrating South Carolina. as a native Carolinian, STOP COMING TO SC, STAY THE FUCK HOME..
By worf
With respect to the thread title I think causality may be reversed: Unreasonably slow speed limits cause bad driving.

If you dig far back enough you will find that in the mid-20th Century speed limits(*) were set as the result of traffic studies.

(*) I don't recall if it was all streets in all states or just non-urban, etc.

When new roads were completed no limit signs were emplaced. Traffic speed was monitored. After a period limit signs were emplaced with the limit set at the 85th percentile.

Why?

That was the speed at which safety was maximized.

This, of course, in conjunction with thoughtful traffic laws like "pass on the left, travel on the right."

IMO, all(*) speed limits are now political with no objective basis.

* With the possible exception of school zones and similar.

Remember the traffic study vis-a-vis the 55 mph limit done in the 80s/90s in Texas (1986 IIRC) that was suppressed? And only made (somewhat) public after years of FOIA-based law suites? Since it showed that 65 mph on interstates was safer on a passenger-mile basis (IIRC) and thus didn't fit the propaganda it was suppressed.
By Fox_
I've seen people manage to block three(!!!) lanes of traffic, all running side by side. :cussing:

My daily commute is awful for left lane huggers.

On another topic... Due to construction they have a two lane, one way service road that turns into a two lane at a three way stop.

Left lane of one way must turn left, right lane must go straight. Sure the traffic layout is incredibly stupid, but my god. The number of people who don't know what a double yellow line means. How there hasn't been a massive head on collision here I don't know. There's changed in elevation that block forward visibility.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:51 pm With respect to the thread title I think causality may be reversed: Unreasonably slow speed limits cause bad driving.

If you dig far back enough you will find that in the mid-20th Century speed limits(*) were set as the result of traffic studies.

(*) I don't recall if it was all streets in all states or just non-urban, etc.

When new roads were completed no limit signs were emplaced. Traffic speed was monitored. After a period limit signs were emplaced with the limit set at the 85th percentile.

Why?

That was the speed at which safety was maximized.

This, of course, in conjunction with thoughtful traffic laws like "pass on the left, travel on the right."

IMO, all(*) speed limits are now political with no objective basis.

* With the possible exception of school zones and similar.

Remember the traffic study vis-a-vis the 55 mph limit done in the 80s/90s in Texas (1986 IIRC) that was suppressed? And only made (somewhat) public after years of FOIA-based law suites? Since it showed that 65 mph on interstates was safer on a passenger-mile basis (IIRC) and thus didn't fit the propaganda it was suppressed.
Several good points you bring up as I know personally I am BORED driving on our highways at the speed limits imposed on us. Not until you get to around 80 MPH on any modern vehicle are you finally beginning to get some feedback from the vehicle to get you interested in driving.

Limits are purely political or to generate revenue now. I see instances where a two lane highway has a 60 MPH limit and then it opens up into 4 lanes and the limit drops down to 55 MPH. WTF is that?!?

Plus limits need to be variable based on conditions and timing. There are areas of the highway where in rush hour a 55 MPH limit might be more appropriate but any other time of the day it should be 80 MPH. Instead we're stuck with the lower limit and easy fishing for the troopers who are on patrol in the area.

Of course no one gets called out for this because you're either labeled a "speeder" or you just don't care enough about safety or "the children" when you try to bring this up.
By JDS968
Fox_ wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:26 pmI've seen people manage to block three(!!!) lanes of traffic, all running side by side. :cussing:
The left lane hogs are terrible and should be beaten in public. The ones who set up rolling roadblocks are worse and should be dumped on a desert island somewhere. When I lived in Miami, 5-6 lane wide rolling roadblocks on I-95 were a constant, everyday occurrence. People had absolutely no idea how lanes worked. When only one lane was open, it was invariably the far right lane. The only way to pass was on the far right, which I found incredibly disconcerting.
linderpat liked this
By fpena944
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Fox_ wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:26 pmI've seen people manage to block three(!!!) lanes of traffic, all running side by side. :cussing:
The left lane hogs are terrible and should be beaten in public. The ones who set up rolling roadblocks are worse and should be dumped on a desert island somewhere. When I lived in Miami, 5-6 lane wide rolling roadblocks on I-95 were a constant, everyday occurrence. People had absolutely no idea how lanes worked. When only one lane was open, it was invariably the far right lane. The only way to pass was on the far right, which I found incredibly disconcerting.
I agree it's like bizzaro world where the right lane is often the lane with the least amount of traffic and allows for easy travel. Now if we were in the UK that might make sense but over here, WTF?!?
By JDS968
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:41 pmLimits are purely political or to generate revenue now. I see instances where a two lane highway has a 60 MPH limit and then it opens up into 4 lanes and the limit drops down to 55 MPH. WTF is that?!?

Plus limits need to be variable based on conditions and timing. There are areas of the highway where in rush hour a 55 MPH limit might be more appropriate but any other time of the day it should be 80 MPH. Instead we're stuck with the lower limit and easy fishing for the troopers who are on patrol in the area.

Of course no one gets called out for this because you're either labeled a "speeder" or you just don't care enough about safety or "the children" when you try to bring this up.
No, speed limits need to be completely eliminated. Traffic enforcement needs to consist of law enforcement officers issuing citations for DANGEROUS driving, documented with video evidence. Improper lane discipline (blocking the passing lane, passing on the right, straddling lanes, etc), failure to use turn signals, running stop signs and red lights, and anything else demonstrably unsafe. How fast I get from point A to point B is nobody's business but my own as long as I do it safely.

And no, I don't care about the children. I hate children.
By lupo.sk
Left lane / middle lane hogging is a serious traffic offense in most countries in yerp. Same goes for not keeping enough distance (less than 2s) and swerving without signaling. Everyone in Germany laughs about Dutch people driving through Germany with their trailers, doing 110kph in the left lane and displaying a “NL” sticker. NL = Netherlands, but Germans say it actually means Nur Links (only on the left).

Our govt was actually testing 140kph (87ish)limit instead of 130kph limit (81ish) on parts of our freeways. Worked like a charm, everyone was still doing 95+ based on thespeed checks so we might see it enacted permanently in summer.
I’m zooming along at 125, hahaha, whatever the freeway speed limit. God bless V1 and AL Priority.
By fpena944
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:27 pm \No, speed limits need to be completely eliminated. Traffic enforcement needs to consist of law enforcement officers issuing citations for DANGEROUS driving, documented with video evidence. Improper lane discipline (blocking the passing lane, passing on the right, straddling lanes, etc), failure to use turn signals, running stop signs and red lights, and anything else demonstrably unsafe. How fast I get from point A to point B is nobody's business but my own as long as I do it safely.

And no, I don't care about the children. I hate children.
I completely agree. Just thinking if we were to realistically attempt to tackle this there is more of a likelihood of a gradual increase instead of going for broke the first time. I see people cry about a 5 MPH increase in speeds, imagine if we let it go completely?

But yes, police would still have an unlimited amount of infractions they could harass us for.
lupo.sk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 pm Left lane / middle lane hogging is a serious traffic offense in most countries in yerp. Same goes for not keeping enough distance (less than 2s) and swerving without signaling. Everyone in Germany laughs about Dutch people driving through Germany with their trailers, doing 110kph in the left lane and displaying a “NL” sticker. NL = Netherlands, but Germans say it actually means Nur Links (only on the left).

Our govt was actually testing 140kph (87ish)limit instead of 130kph limit (81ish) on parts of our freeways. Worked like a charm, everyone was still doing 95+ based on thespeed checks so we might see it enacted permanently in summer.
I’m zooming along at 125, hahaha, whatever the freeway speed limit. God bless V1 and AL Priority.
I lived in Germany when the wall came down and I remember the East German cars not knowing what to do on the autobahns and often causing hazardous conditions with their lack of lane discipline.

It really isn't that difficult to stay to the right except to pass, why is this such an issue for drivers?!?
By lupo.sk
fpena944 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:59 pm I lived in Germany when the wall came down and I remember the East German cars not knowing what to do on the autobahns and often causing hazardous conditions with their lack of lane discipline.

It really isn't that difficult to stay to the right except to pass, why is this such an issue for drivers?!?
hehe, yup, much like the Dutch until today.

what I love about (some parts of) Germany is that when you're doing 180mph, you will still get passed by someone in a faster car.... and then you both pass the police doing well over 150mph without any issues :)
By Fox_
Yesterday.

I was in the right lane, already "moving", clear road. Car in the left lane varying between being just off my nose to just off my tail.

Speeding up and slowing down, but never pissing off, blocking the lane.

Goes on and on. Now I have truck in rear view right on my bumper, in the right lane mind you.

Finally have enough, make space myself with the skinny pedal.

:banghead:
By DAVfoto
Ended up with a tailgater today in the right lane. So close I couldn't see his headlights doing 80 FUCKING MPH. So I stab it, get up to 120 and he is long gone, pass a cop and by the hair of God, he didn't bother. Gave me a damn heart attack.
linderpat liked this
By linderpat
DAVfoto wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:21 pm ….. So I stab it, get up to 120 and he is long gone, pass a cop and by the hair of God, he didn't bother. Gave me a damn heart attack.
I HATE when that happens, and it happens to me a lot - I don't like slow. Amazing how many times the cop just doesn't respond.

It used to be that British car folks all eventuall[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Monthly Breakfast[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Hi Fred, I'm changing the two rear brake lines fo[…]

Selling my 39 Chevy Pickup

My age and mobility has led me to decide to sell m[…]