8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Scoper
Geo55 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:39 pm I have not heard anything on these dampers once installed performance wise. What is the consensus?
I'm pleased with mine. Not a huge difference but some peace of mind that another bit of rubber isn't 40 yrs old and not performing properly. Of course, the wife wasn't pleased with car parts in the oven!
By Geza-aka-Zombo
FYI - I've recently worked with Roger and my hub manufacturer. I believe Roger intends on making these available in the near future. Keep an eye out if interested.
By worf
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 pm FYI - I've recently worked with Roger and my hub manufacturer. I believe Roger intends on making these available in the near future. Keep an eye out if interested.
Are you going to have different hubs for GTS cranks?

(Full disclosure, I haven’t looked at one of yours with respect to GTS cranks. Maybe it works. I’m referring to the last thread on TOS where I figured out that the GTS crank snout is different enough from the older ones that GB’s original hub won’t work.)
By Geza-aka-Zombo
worf wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:58 pm
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 pm FYI - I've recently worked with Roger and my hub manufacturer. I believe Roger intends on making these available in the near future. Keep an eye out if interested.
Are you going to have different hubs for GTS cranks?

(Full disclosure, I haven’t looked at one of yours with respect to GTS cranks. Maybe it works. I’m referring to the last thread on TOS where I figured out that the GTS crank snout is different enough from the older ones that GB’s original hub won’t work.)
I don't know. I didn't realize there was a difference. I'll look into it. If someone has access to a GTS crank, that could be helpful to me. Post a picture of the front snout.
By worf
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm I don't know. I didn't realize there was a difference. I'll look into it. If someone has access to a GTS crank, that could be helpful to me. Post a picture of the front snout.
Measurements in TOS thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1 ... st17951029

GTS crank:

All earlier cranks:
By Geza-aka-Zombo
worf wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:24 pm
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm I don't know. I didn't realize there was a difference. I'll look into it. If someone has access to a GTS crank, that could be helpful to me. Post a picture of the front snout.
Measurements in TOS thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1 ... st17951029

GTS crank:

All earlier cranks:
Thanks for the link and pictures. Based on my review of the posts and the data provided, I'm confident the Ultimate 928 TVD hub fits fine as is with the GTS crank.

The problem discussed in the post was due to a design flaw with Browns early design 2 part hub. The analysis in several of your posts was spot on.
By worf
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:48 pm Thanks for the link and pictures. Based on my review of the posts and the data provided, I'm confident the Ultimate 928 TVD hub fits fine as is with the GTS crank.
:thumbup:
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Confirmed - longer GTS crank snout is not an issue.

worf, linderpat, Bertrand Daoust and 1 others liked this
By ROG100
I have one of GB's dampers on my 93 GTS and all is good.
With the help and collaboration from Geza I have placed an initial order for 30 of his Ultimate dampers.
They will be available on my web site shortly for advance orders. Initial ETA is the end of June.
SeanR, Geza-aka-Zombo liked this
By SeanR
Interesting results today when I pulled the "superdamper" hub from another vendor on an engine I built a few years ago. Pulled that hub and grabbed one of these from stock.

2 years installed
image.png
Geza's hub is slightly less weight. I was amazed.

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Steel vs. Aluminum. My thoughts on material are discussed in the post below.

Geza-aka-Zombo @ Super damper
worf liked this
By maddog2020
are the hubs interchangeable? I have one of the other ones, and would like to upgrade to the newer lighter (and hopefully easier to install) It would be a bonus if I could used the same balancer with the new hub.
By hernanca
(Also posted on TOS. And yes Geza, I am finally ready to do this, but have the nagging questions, below.)

I am currently having my Timing Belt Service done on the 6.5L stroker on my 86.5 Automatic. Seems like as good a time as any to put in an ATI Super Damper.

Can anyone tell me whether it matters that this is a stroker motor vs. a stock motor? I am guessing it will be better than the original OEM damper that's on there now.

The other question I have which I did not post on the more sensitive site is this:

Hammer from TOS (don't know if he's on this one too) said ATI themselves made him several dampers for his 6L motor and he asked me why would I use an adapter (I'm guessing he means the hub that Brown and Geza provide) when ATI can provide a solution? However, when my shop called ATI this week, they were referred to some place called Performance Development for custom work. Does this mean ATI had done a custom one piece damper for Hammer and they just don't do that anymore or am I misunderstanding something? I will ask Hammer for clarification but I don't believe he is super active on TOS and the shop is ready to start the Timing Belt work.

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance!
By maddog2020
I purchased one of the ATI versions back when Hammer did the group buy. Never could get it to fit. and by the time I went back to ATI, they pointed me to someone else. I tossed it. Bought one of GB's and it is an SOB to install on a scat stroker crank. That is why I asked the question above. Is this hub clocked to the same balancer? I'd really hate to have to buy a 3rd one just to get a lighter hub.
By hernanca
Thank you, that is good information on Hammer's group buy. Looking back on his PM, he said they made 5 for him.

Not sure I understand the question, but according to the thread I bumped on TOS https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1 ... chase.html it specifies ATI Damper # 917020 and directs us to order from an authorized reseller (e.g., Jegs or Summit) to keep the warranty.

Roger and a bunch of 928 folks are at Frenzy or making their way to it. I would send Roger an email if you need the answer sooner rather than later - he responded to mine: [email protected]
By Geza-aka-Zombo
maddog2020 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 am are the hubs interchangeable? I have one of the other ones, and would like to upgrade to the newer lighter (and hopefully easier to install) It would be a bonus if I could used the same balancer with the new hub.
Yes, they are interchangeable. Should be easier to install, but follow the heating directions - heating to an even higher temp is also OK, but don't skimp on the time.
Last edited by Geza-aka-Zombo on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
hernanca wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:16 pm (Also posted on TOS. And yes Geza, I am finally ready to do this, but have the nagging questions, below.)

I am currently having my Timing Belt Service done on the 6.5L stroker on my 86.5 Automatic. Seems like as good a time as any to put in an ATI Super Damper.

Can anyone tell me whether it matters that this is a stroker motor vs. a stock motor? I am guessing it will be better than the original OEM damper that's on there now.

The other question I have which I did not post on the more sensitive site is this:

Hammer from TOS (don't know if he's on this one too) said ATI themselves made him several dampers for his 6L motor and he asked me why would I use an adapter (I'm guessing he means the hub that Brown and Geza provide) when ATI can provide a solution? However, when my shop called ATI this week, they were referred to some place called Performance Development for custom work. Does this mean ATI had done a custom one piece damper for Hammer and they just don't do that anymore or am I misunderstanding something? I will ask Hammer for clarification but I don't believe he is super active on TOS and the shop is ready to start the Timing Belt work.

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance!
Best I understand it, all ATI solutions involve the use of a hub, in addition to the damper shell. The shells are generic and are adapted to the specific application via the hub.

I'm not familiar with the stroker crank, but suspect the Ultimate 928 TVD solution will work fine. I see no reasons why the front end of the crank on a stroker would be different than OEM, considering OEM pulleys are employed. In my mind, an old OEM damper with non-compliant hard rubber is worse for your crank than a new ATI, with compliant rubber.

hernanca liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Interesting side note - I was talking to someone at Frenzy who said for serious drag racing cars, they won't even let you run an OEM damper. For most OEMs, the rubber is the only thing holding on the weight - if that gives, all hell is going to break loose. The ATI captivates the weight, so there is no issues with catastrophic rubber failure.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
maddog2020 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:50 pm my damper has the number A 1038001 on the outside. I don't have the box it came in so I'm guessing that is the number for the outside shell but it came on one of the gb kits
I believe that is the serial number, not part number. Part number is not marked on the damper - I assume ATI has a cross reference somewhere in their database.
By SeanR
Fit one of these on the engine I'm finishing off. Took 10 minutes of heating up to 250 on my stove, lubed the crank and the hub slid on like butter. Simply amazing. No struggling, no 300-350 degrees for 30 minutes. 10 minutes and it was on the crank easy.

Anyone want to buy a steel crank hub?
Geza-aka-Zombo, Benno liked this
By Benno
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:13 am
milrad wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 pm What is the correct ATI damper to get, and do you have a good source for them?
I used TVD shell ATI917020 on my engine - it is available from multiple sources. I got my original from JEGS, and just got a second one (for test fitting the production hub) from Summit Racing.
I am building up a S4 5spd motor and will be using a ATI super damper. Is the ATI Model number ATI917020 the correct part number for the 5.0L stock motor?

Also, what would be the correct part number for the GTS motor (5.4L)? My GTS has a super damper in there from 2013. I'd like to confirm it is the correct one.

@Geza-aka-Zombo do you have any guidance?
By Geza-aka-Zombo
The ATI917020 is the correct damper shell for both. For the 5.0l, you will need a hub, which is the interface between the damper and crank. Roger sells my hub kit now.

For the existing ATI damper you have, chances are there is no part number marked. If you contact ATI with the serno, they may confirm. I suspect you have the right part, but you might consider buying a kit from ATI to rebuild it.

https://928srus.com/products/928-102-12 ... s=e&_v=1.0
hernanca liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]