8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By amdavid
I'm 100% obsessed with the shark right now, geez. I'm always toying with my next Pcar, likely going to be a 9 2 8!
By worf
What are you looking for in 928 terms? And what’s your budget?

I know of several very solid 928s that are quietly for sale from ~$20k to $80k.
amdavid liked this
By Charlie
Love my 928S4. A well-behaved hellion. Every time I look at it I fall in love again. Buy one of the Worf recommendations - you will not go wrong.

Also, you can't really get involved in the best forum conversations unless you have a 928.
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
Thank you both for the encouragement!....I didn't need it, but I like. :D

Yeah, figured i'd need 30k total to get a decent driver, don't need a Gqueen. 20k for the car, and another 10 to get up to snuff. Or buy one that's mostly sorted, which is probably the route I'd go.

Come on, no 928, no play....? I've owned just about every other model of Porsche...just no 928. I know all about Wyatt's ride!
By worf
amdavid wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:04 am Yeah, figured i'd need 30k total to get a decent driver, don't need a Gqueen. 20k for the car, and another 10 to get up to snuff. Or buy one that's mostly sorted, which is probably the route I'd go.
** Auto? or 5-speed **

$10k won’t buy all the new parts and rebuilds to ‘sort’ an ‘unsorted’ 928.
RSMartin liked this
By amdavid
I'm traditional guy, like 3 pedals in my car/s. However, given the right price, I'd consider a auto to get familiar with the Pshark.

These things take time and I'm not in a rush. Doing homework and enjoying contemplation of my next Pcar.
By Polecat702
My supercharged 89 S4, is very quick. I love the automatic in it. These are cruising GT's that aren't really sport cars. Incredible road cars.
I bought mine for 11K, and have put over 25K into it over the past 10 years. 30K for a good one is about right, the blower setup was around 7K with everything.
amdavid liked this
By worf
amdavid wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:51 am I'm traditional guy, like 3 pedals in my car/s. However, given the right price, I'd consider a auto to get familiar with the Pshark.
Since you are in the 5-speed camp, but not ruling out an auto, you need to know that the character of a 5-speed 928 and an auto 928 are totally different; almost as if they weren't basically the same car.

Attempt to find local 928 owners and ask if they'll let you test drive. You need to drive both a 5-speed and an auto before you make a decision.

Your $20k+10k budget puts you 'right at' the 120k-mile 90S4 auto that is quietly for sale. Most of the 'expensive stuff' has been done (by me) in the last 10 years and ~10k miles including head gaskets, fuel lines, shocks, LH ECU rebuild, etc. Torque tube was done by the previous owner. Crank end-play is 'as new' and has the 'extra' flex-plate clamp. Timing belt is 2 years old and fluids have been changed on schedule since 2008. All it needs is a full A/C service (unless you, like the current owner, likes it hot.)

The 5-speed that is quietly for sale is non-trivially out of your budget. It's a low-mileage almost-collector car (likely one-of-one in the US) but has been treated (by me again) to all of the service listed above, except the torque tube, in the last 10 years plus lots of 'restoration' in terms of re-plated cadmium and ceramic-coated parts. And the A/C works. It basically needs nothing for many more years except scheduled fluids.
By Charlie
Spend $30K, get the 90 auto, fix the a/c for a few $K and drive it. I do not recommend a 928 without a/c.

FYI Dave is a 928 surgeon. Get him to fix the A/C before you receive it. For the record, Dave tried to get me not to buy one. It is the only time Ignored his advice.

Also I agree with Polecat on this one - the auto is fantastic. Who needs the rowing?
Polecat702 liked this
By worf
Charlie wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 am Spend $30K, get the 90 auto, fix the a/c for a few $K and drive it. I do not recommend a 928 without a/c.
Actually, the 90S4 is closer to $20k. So, plenty of the $10k left for A/C and escrow.
By Charlie
"Escrow" is what we're calling it now, eh? :D
By worf
Charlie wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:02 am "Escrow" is what we're calling it now, eh? :D
Piggy bank(*) more accurate. Blood level in caffeine circulatory system too high.

* Break open if something breaks.
By amdavid
Excellent advice. Thank you, just what I was expecting... :D
By Landseer
These 928s, especially when a meticulous uber pro, Worf in this case, has sorted one and made all the features like hvac work, are incredible road cars.

I can drive a 928 for many hours and not be fatigued. Something about driving position I guess. And ambiance around piloting a special head turning V8 car.

Happy 9/28, today, BTW!
By linderpat
I just got back from about a 500 mile round trip weekend to Frenzy in Sterling VA with my new to me red over tan 5 speed 85. Everything has been done since I got it in Feb, and it is in excellent shape at 79K miles. The only thing left is to replace a trans seal and new rear bushings for the shifter to tighten it up, which my indy will do this winter. Then I'll have a decision to make - keep it or the 997! I daily drive both right now. If I sell the 85, it'll be in the mid 20's. You will not find one with no deferred maintenance like this one.
By amdavid
I will look for some locals with 928's, I'm part of a local owners group with 120+ on the mailing list.

Definitely leaning towards one that has been sorted/touched by a fanatic that you/we all know. Those tend to be the better value prop if, like me, you don't want a "project" car......I know how deep those pits can run.

The beauty here, I'm in no rush.....the right one will find its way to my garage, at the right time. :D

Paying homage to 9 2 8 day!!
By Erik N
My 78 might be for sale. Owned it for 20 years.
It has all the right stuff. Early car, much more visceral than later models.
By linderpat
Erik - looks like you have a replacement motor in it? What's the history on it?
By amdavid
Erik, keep me in loop.

I can set you up with a different Porsche V8, one more fitting for your location.
By SeanR
I know of a couple that are for sale or going up for sale, both red 87/88 5-speeds that need nothing. One modified and one basically stock. In the low to mid $30's.

Don't do like the car I'm working on this week. 35k mile car, looks great, when it runs it drives nice. Sat for so long everything is rotted. Got fuel pissing out the dampers/FPR like there is no diaphragm. Customer wanted a timing belt/Water pump job and then see if something simple is going on with a hot start. Never that easy.

By worf
SeanR wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pmNever that easy.
Word.

Never that easy and it's getting less easy as the fleet ages.
By amdavid
I know the routine with 30+ year old cars, I've had my share. I'm not venturing down the fixer/project road. I don't mind light weight stuff and the body/interior in "drives" car condition. Don't want, nor can a afford a GQ, I like to drive my Pcars.
By Erik N
linderpat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 pm Erik - looks like you have a replacement motor in it? What's the history on it?
I bought an 81 Euro CIS car from Susan at DEVEK. (yeah, a long while ago.) and transplanted the engine into my car. Night and day difference, the Euro really "comes on the pipe" at 3300.

Car is in my garage in TX.
The 928 Photo Thread

after many years of searching finally found a set […]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I have a friend who re-furbished his D90's on a '9[…]

There were more 928s there, but I was happy to rem[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

My thoughts on Miami race are (I think..) simila[…]