8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Fox_
Sanity check here.

auto
121K miles
Timing bet, intake refresh, and some other work done in late 2015.
So it is coming up on age, but only 6K miles on timing belt.

Interior is about average for a 34 y/o well driven 928

No known mechanical issues.

Exterior condition is "patinaed"

What's it worth?

Photo gallery HERE
IMG_20200807_190850.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Crumpler
What? Nobody?
Ok I will say, to get the debate going, 12-15k. Well sorted.
I haven’t been following the market lately, mostly because I have permanently obliterated my 86.5 resale value when I made it a track car and I don’t want to know ;). But there were some eye popping BAT sales and some of them were not even low mileage examples.
By Fox_
Crumpler wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:05 pm What? Nobody?
Ok I will say, to get the debate going, 12-15k. Well sorted.
I haven’t been following the market lately, mostly because I have permanently obliterated my 86.5 resale value when I made it a track car and I don’t want to know ;). But there were some eye popping BAT sales and some of them were not even low mileage examples.
I paid $15K for it and have listed it for as low as $12K. There was even a, one time, opportunity to get it for $8K, crickets. Why I was concerned for my sanity.

I need to let it go for reasons that are obvious in that one thread here.

BAT told me they were choking on 928s and to go pound sand.
First of all, thank you for taking the time to complete the submission form for your 928. It looks to be a nice example and I'm sorry that we won't be moving forward with a listing.

To give you some additional perspective, we are a curated marketplace and unfortunately cannot list every vehicle that comes through our system. 928's are one of the more frequently submitted models to the site and we are inundated with submissions of great examples. This means we are often faced with the difficult decision of turning down good cars from motivated sellers like yourself. Additionally, this is a very busy time of year at BaT and we are having to be more selective with cars in this general price range at the moment, as we unfortunately cannot list them all.

On fleabay the going price seems to be $5K to $7K
By Landseer
The pictures, else the app I'm using to view them, are low resolution. To support >$6k, quality close up pics of known 928 degradation areas would need to be shown in a detailed way. Therefore I can't estimate. Your comment about patina is interesting. I think you may be overly critical, but pics are crucial.

Video of good running behavior is positive. A video with resolution showing dash, bolsters, etc from inside might help.

There are a whole lot of people struggling. The pandemic has suppressed what was a high energy appreciating market.
By SeanR
I was thinking the same as Gretch, $12-$15 easy with a high end at $18k. The market for these is so odd the last 6 months that my predictions have been off. I've got a couple customers with absolutely perfect cars that should sell fast at $30k that are not moving.
By worf
I can't make heads or tails of 928 valuations. So, I don't try anymore.

Cars with no service history and obvious problems go for several tens of K-dollar and cars with impeccable records and non-trivial recent work collect dust.

Seems like folks would rather pay $25k for a 928 that needs $50k of work than to pay $50k for a 928 that needs nothing.
Crumpler liked this
By linderpat
This is a nice car for its age. Miles are high so that hurts. An 86.5 helps. I would put it at $15K. Quick sell is whatever, as there is no good valuation for what that can be.
By Fox_
Landseer wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:48 am The pictures, else the app I'm using to view them, are low resolution. To support >$6k, quality close up pics of known 928 degradation areas would need to be shown in a detailed way. Therefore I can't estimate. Your comment about patina is interesting. I think you may be overly critical, but pics are crucial.

Video of good running behavior is positive. A video with resolution showing dash, bolsters, etc from inside might help.

There are a whole lot of people struggling. The pandemic has suppressed what was a high energy appreciating market.

All the pictures are high resolution, what are the other areas you're wanting to see? Besides listed.

"patina"

I bought all the stuff to repaint/touchup the sun roof panel, if I trust the paint match.... Just haven't had the balls to try it.
By linderpat
For what you'll get, don't waste your time touching up the sun roof or anything else for that matter. The car needs a respray, and that is up to the next owner. A touch up is just going to look like, well, a touch up. Someone paying low to mid-teens for a shark will expect to have to do things like that himself.
By Fox_
linderpat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am For what you'll get, don't waste your time touching up the sun roof or anything else for that matter. The car needs a respray, and that is up to the next owner. A touch up is just going to look like, well, a touch up. Someone paying low to mid-teens for a shark will expect to have to do things like that himself.
This is basically the conclusion I came to as well.

The touch up was, at most, to stabilize it until respray.
By TheDeckMan
Fox_ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:22 pm
linderpat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am For what you'll get, don't waste your time touching up the sun roof or anything else for that matter. The car needs a respray, and that is up to the next owner. A touch up is just going to look like, well, a touch up. Someone paying low to mid-teens for a shark will expect to have to do things like that himself.
This is basically the conclusion I came to as well.

The touch up was, at most, to stabilize it until respray.

In better shape than the 82 I have been storing for a buddy, granted it is a 5spd but also has a hole in the motor......

When it comes to touch ups, I walk away from cars that have had them, one to many body work projects getting into all of those band-aid fixes. Touch ups are like lipstick on a pig, if buying a pig I dont want to pay for the lipstick.
By Landseer
Not to deviate too far, but the uber low miles time capsule 944S2 just resold for 67K on bat. The money comes out of hiding for the really special stuff. This one, while in its crypt, had collected a paint aberration that had to be addressed.
By amdavid
Fox, I'm obsessing over the 928 right now, we should talk. Need a Cayenne S and some cash?....or maybe just cash.
By Fox_
amdavid wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:12 pm Fox, I'm obsessing over the 928 right now, we should talk. Need a Cayenne S and some cash?....or maybe just cash.
I don't need another car.

Started new fuarked up jerb second day was today. Climbing underneath 90,000lbs suspended windmill parts, working with dudes that still have ankle monitors, all for half a moldy peanut/hr. It's fantastic, but my time is more limited now. Supposed to be 6:45 to sunset, but today ended early.

However, 928 is still for sale, better get it before I get squished.

PM phone #
By Mrmerlin
I dont know the black car but i do know the gray one,
it had a lot of parts swapped out when i went through it back in 2015, including new boge shocks MMs OPG and TB and WP and the biggy an honest to goodness intake refresh with fresh powder coating,that alone cost me 4 K.
A 2 door refresh with new vapor barriers

It looks like it needs some paint work now but it was a very nice solid quiet machine with ice cold AC R12
By Crumpler
Mrmerlin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:23 am I dont know the black car but i do know the gray one,
it had a lot of parts swapped out when i went through it back in 2015, including new boge shocks MMs OPG and TB and WP and the biggy an honest to goodness intake refresh with fresh powder coating,that alone cost me 4 K.
A 2 door refresh with new vapor barriers

It looks like it needs some paint work now but it was a very nice solid quiet machine with ice cold AC R12
Stan!
You are here ;)
Don’t be a stranger man. ;)
By worf
:wave: Stan
By amdavid
Stan, thank you for fielding my message on RL.

Yeah, the black one is local with a 5spd....."vacuum leaks", but looks like it was taken care of.
By linderpat
Hey Stan - welcome man!

Use the OE bolt?

Sunroof t-shooting

yeas back "Dan the pod guy" had an exten[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

pictured is the plate that the choke 99961914100 i[…]

the link rod between the motor and the cooling fla[…]