Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By Bull_D
As my post states.....
running in blue sprint group over the weekend at road america. during the first sprint it wasn't great, but the start for the second one was atrocious! they had us do 2 warm up laps on a 4 mile track. WTF? i was being a green GT6 class car (some type of old 911). most of my class were all bunched together in the grid....good thing for the racing. however, this azz clown was 75 yards behind the car he was supposed to grid behind. so as a result, i was THREE grid positions behind the car i was gridded with, and was in my class. why are you in a race if you don't want to participate? if you just want to sightsee, run the DE!!!!!!! sucks to drive 16 hrs to race on a great track, have good close racing in your class, but have somebody f*ck it all up. not sure what can be done about it, short of passing on the warm up lap :lol: i doubt he would have noticed....
By David993S
Yeah, it happens. I couldn't tell you how many times on a pace lap I've said inside my helmet to the driver ahead "move up, get closer, get going, etc."
And two warmup laps at RA takes forever!
Just remember..........the sooner you get behind, the more time you have to catch up. ;)
By Luigi Vampa
You can win or lose a race based on the people around you at the start of the race. It is amazing the number of people that are not on the bumper of the guy in front at the start of the race.

If they are not in position I am practically bumping them and reving my engine to let them know we need to GOOOOO!!!!
911Königin liked this
By fpena944
JimC6 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm
Bull_D wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:55 pm
not sure what can be done about it, short of passing on the warm up lap :lol: i doubt he would have noticed....
Your post made me think of this classic...

https://youtu.be/Zyr6VDaaWJE
So what's the whole story there? Did the race organizers at least admit fault?

Plus what track was that? There must have been 80 cars running that race!
By JimC6
That is VIR. It’s 3.3 miles long so it can support large fields.

I don’t have any more of the story than what is in the video, but I imagine he did receive an apology for the gridding error. That doesn’t excuse his passing cars on the warm-up lap. That is very dangerous with other cars warming their tires and focusing on the cars in front of them. Nobody expects anyone coming from behind them until the green flag flies.

That said, the lesson I and other racers learned from this video is that when the grid guy says go you GO!
911Königin liked this
By fpena944
JimC6 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:59 pm That is VIR. It’s 3.3 miles long so it can support large fields.

I don’t have any more of the story than what is in the video, but I imagine he did receive an apology for the gridding error. That doesn’t excuse his passing cars on the warm-up lap. That is very dangerous with other cars warming their tires and focusing on the cars in front of them. Nobody expects anyone coming from behind them until the green flag flies.

That said, the lesson I and other racers learned from this video is that when the grid guy says go you GO!
That makes sense. Unfortunately never been to VIR because too many elevation changes rules my car out (cabrio without aftermarket rollbar) but I hope to get there when I eventually get a track car!

Yeah I'm sure he never made that mistake again!
By 911Königin
JimC6 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm
Bull_D wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:55 pm
not sure what can be done about it, short of passing on the warm up lap :lol: i doubt he would have noticed....
Your post made me think of this classic...

Oh God!! Vicki would have given him a 13/13.....am thinking the grid person thought he was having car trouble when he waved the other car past, but they should have checked..........Toe and Gall did a great job this past weekend.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]