Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
removed from the 90 S4, removed the tube and inside is the float which runs up and down the center shaft and 2 thin wires for varying the resistance as the float moves up and down
pictured one side, the metal tabs on the float go on either side of the wire and on the other side both metal tabs are one one side of the wire and not touching it, is that how it should be ?
cheers
Phil
20240307_193049.jpg
20240307_193154.jpg
20240307_193213.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By smiffypr
I assume it was not working, or working intermittently, or you don't know.
I believe the wire should go between the contacts (as in top picture) on both sides.
By worf
It’s easy enough to run the float along the wires while measuring resistance. No?
By h2pmr
thanks Smiffy, my guess guess is not working, but i put 10L in it + whatever was in there and the warning light was still on.
but cannot remember if the gauge actually moved at all.
how much fuel does it take to take the warning light off?
By h2pmr
worf wrote:It’s easy enough to run the float along the wires while measuring resistance. No?
ah yes, my next job to test it.
main reason i stripped it was that the float seemed to be sticking at the top and would only fall when given a gentle tap, was fine going from bottom to top.

fitted the wire so now both sides had the wire between the contacts, but still stuck at the top.
so took both wires from between the contacts and turned the float 180 degrees and refitted the wires, now floats like a butterfly :thumbup:
must have been sick of floating the same way round for the last 30+ years and needed a change.
will test resistance tomorrow and see what i get.
cheers
Phil
By worf
I have great success with carefully cleaning the guts and returning them to operation.
By Stepson
I have also cleaned the guts and had success. I used a scotchbrite pad to carefully clean the tube that the float slides onto make it smooth again. The fuel additives used these days leave barnacles that can restrict the operation of the float. Stay away from the wires at all costs
By h2pmr
put it all back together and resistance between the pin closer to the plastic locating pin reads 78 ohms when empty and 4.3 when its turned upside down, and keeps continuity when the float moves up and down.
being lazy, whats the other pin for ?
cheers
Phil
By worf
h2pmr wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:42 am being lazy, whats the other pin for ?
Ground circuit for level warning light.

Just a guess.

I’m too lazy to go look in the wiring diagrams for your lazy ass. :tongue:

But I’ll bet you a cold one. Well… warm in your case, I guess. :drunk:
By h2pmr
thanks Dave, will check and confirm, but need to get some more beer above room temp first :thumbup:
By Mrmerlin
make sure to look inside the return tube at the bottom of the sender,
if the tube is filled with rust its time to replace the sender.
NOTE this is a common issue with senders that have sat with a low fuel level for a few years,
and been subject to wide temp swings.

NOTE You can use the 944 sender just make sure to plug the vent port ,
the rubber cap that is supplied with the sender is not a safe port plug.
By h2pmr
Mrmerlin wrote:make sure to look inside the return tube at the bottom of the sender,
NOTE this is a common issue with senders that have sat with a low fuel level for a few years,

NOTE You can use the 944 sender just make sure to plug the vent port ,
the rubber cap that is supplied with the sender is not a safe port plug.
thanks Stan, was surprisingly clean when i took it apart, which does make a nice change.
cheers
Phil
By Sazerac
Mrmerlin wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:16 pm make sure to look inside the return tube at the bottom of the sender,
This.

Mine was a complete pile of rust on my then low mile 1990 back in 2011. Yours looked new. I think mine was subject to long storage with an almost empty take leading to a constant H20-ethanol-air bath. Since then I keep tanks full in winter.
By h2pmr
before i stick it on ebay, i thought i would sell it with a new seal 92820132702, ordered from local OPC and it came in a larger box than it needed to be.
seems they sell them in boxes of 5 now???
either a cock up at Porsche's end or just lucky, the local OPC only got charger for 1 :thumbup:
so retail price of 1 - discount + VAT divided by 5 = 92p each :thumbup: :thumbup:
cheers
Phil
20240318_131247.jpg
20240318_131323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
h2pmr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am seems they sell them in boxes of 5 now???
either a cock up at Porsche's end or just lucky, the local OPC only got charger for 1 :thumbup:
This kind of screwup happens from time-to-time.

I have >200 brembo brake bleeder valve caps.

If anyone wants a set of 8 for cheap + shipping, contact Jeannie.
By Hey_Allen
If I hadn't already bought one from one of the vendors a couple of years ago, I'd be interested.

My cars filler seal was entirely missing when I started rehabilitating it. That said, so was the gas cap, as a "friend" of the prior owner had helped themselves to a few things...
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]