Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
1 good mounting stud still attached and with good threads
2 studs snapped off flush with the spoiler
1 stud + the plastic surround fully out of the spoiler

tried to drill and tap the 2 that had snapped flush, 1 worked very well and now solid, 1 snapped the tap in the spoiler :banghead:

so got a hole cutter and gently hammered it into the plastic surround and managed to get it out without breaking it.

that just left the stud + tap sticking out.
what i did not know was that studs are actually welded to a large metal plate about 10mm below the rubber mounting surface of the spoiler, so i then drilled right through it with the hole cutter.
edge of the metal plate can just be seen shining in the pictures below
20240107_082021.jpg
20240107_082031.jpg
then got a strip of 2mm thick metal, drilled a 6mm hole and put an M6 bolt in it:
20240107_120619.jpg
needed to make the width slightly narrower and elongate the hole so the bolt could move lengthways along the strip of metal.
then need to remove some of the rubber spoiler from just below the metal plate, so the metal strip will fit in.
then fed the metal strip and bolt into the hole, under the metal plate in the spoiler, as far as it will go one way, hence the need to elongate the hole for the bolt.
then feed the metal strip the other way so the bolt is in the middle of the strip of metal and the strip of metal is in the middle of the hole in the spoiler

so now the strip of metal is behind the metal plate and cannot pull through the spoiler as pictured below :bigok:
20240107_093551.jpg
20240107_093556.jpg
then refit the plastic surround, and do the same to the other damaged mountings then ,TEST FIT IT TO THE TAILGATE.
once happy it all fits, remove and remove the plastic surrounds and fit a nut to the bolt to stop it spinning when you bolt the spoiler to tailgate
20240107_085008.jpg
as its just a strip of metal, there should be a gap down either side, so you can fill the void in the spoiler with windscreen / rubber bond of your choice to keep the strip of meal from turning + bond in the plastic surround, fit and fully tighten the spoiler to the tailgate and let the bond set.
will post final pictures of it built up in the coming days.
hope this helps someone
cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Knox, MFranke liked this
By Mrmerlin
Once you have your new stud plates fitted,
I would mask off the areas and then get some JB weld and fill in the area to pot the stud and plate into position.
Let it cure and you will be good to go.

NOTE make a bolt template to hold the bolt in position while the JB cures
Gary Knox, MFranke liked this
By h2pmr
thanks Mrmerlin, have some JB weld on order for the next one i do :thumbup:

removed it this morning and all now good for the next 30yrs :thumbup:

the white plastic ring around the studs is ideal to align the studs, and just for reference i gently tapped the hole cutter into it and they just twist out without damaging the actual rubber spoiler, so when refitted they align the stud back in the right position
cheers
Phil
20240108_194746.jpg
20240108_194906.jpg
20240108_194926.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]