Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
Exotics and electrics
By sh944
Holy fucking hell... this is an incredible car. I got one as a loaner while my Spyder is in for service. Now I am seriously considering buying one. This thing works incredibly well, I am completely blown away by it. It would be a local driver only, no road trips but its a complete surprise to me. Compared to the Macan and some of the other pedestrian cars that I have driven, including a 991 I had previously, I think Porsche got it right with the Taycan.
By fpena944
sh944 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:53 am Holy fucking hell... this is an incredible car. I got one as a loaner while my Spyder is in for service. Now I am seriously considering buying one. This thing works incredibly well, I am completely blown away by it. It would be a local driver only, no road trips but its a complete surprise to me. Compared to the Macan and some of the other pedestrian cars that I have driven, including a 991 I had previously, I think Porsche got it right with the Taycan.
A friend of mine travels highways quite a bit and always comments on seeing them disabled on the side of the road. Now I know he's not a fan of electric cars and given the high profile of this one it might seem more common than it really is.

Haven't driven one myself but I would love to get a ride in one just to see what it feels like in comparison. Did it feel heavy at all?
By lupo.sk
Friend has recently bought one (4S IIRC) and I liked it for what it is. He can do 200kph / 125mph down the freeway sustained for 1hr (drive from where we live to the capital city) and still drive around town a bit on what’s left.
Then he plugs it on fast dc charger while in meetings and eating lunch and drives 125mph sustained back home. That’s really something for an electric car.

I would not buy one, a good plug in hybrid makes much more sense over here. I’m looking at pana turbo s hybrids lately and … yeah … we shall see :-)
By sh944
I travel pretty extensively across the US by car, so I'd think I'd have a good sense of what is sitting on the side of the road. I've yet to see a Taycan stranded. I'd be curious what your friend is basing his comment on, as truthfully, they haven't sold that many at this point. You occasionally see them on the road but its not an overly common occurrence unless maybe you are in metro San Fran/Los Angeles areas where such cars have cache (and I am just speculating there as I avoid both of those places like the plague). I have probably seen more Cayennes than anything else on the side of the road in my travels.

It certainly doesn't drive like my Spyder, but its like a more refined version of my wife's BMW 328i. Its performance capabilities outstrip its weight by a wide margin. You don't feel the weight of the car while driving it, and I know its pretty heavy. It have a very distinct "point and shoot" feel to it, just press the go pedal and aim it. Handles bumps very well, no real lean in the turns to speak of and gobs of torque. I am not beating on the car by any stretch of the imagination but am driving it like I would any of mine and enjoying the occasional cloverleaf.

The electronics, especially the dash, are a bit different for me as I am used to primarily analog data. Its kinda cool but I imagine it might lose its appeal over time, at least for me.

I'll be watching the driving range on it, charging cars like this in KC is not as easy as it would be on either coast. Having one in the garage for daily errands, run to office and Home Depot seems like its sweet spot, at least for me. I'm not ready to get rid of any of my existing fleet for a Taycan yet, but its *way* better than I expected.
By worf
In answer to the question posed in the thread title: Yes.

A Taycan GTS and the base 2WD.

Both on an autocross course.

The 2WD understeered into corners like a locomotive unless you trail braked until the rear end got wobbly. And then, on the way out the stability control kinda made it understeer too. The GTS was much easier on the AX.

So… meh. Sure it was fast but, it didn’t make me say “I gotta have one of these.”

CarChick on the other hand, rode in the right-seat for one lap (not with me driving) and had to get out. The lack of drivetrain noise freaked her shit completely out. She hates electric cars with a passion now. And she never really liked anything without a clutch pedal anyway.

So… no electric cars in our near, or mid-term, future.
sh944 liked this
By sh944
I wouldn't want one for a auto-x or "fun" car. But for a utility appliance, I am liking it.
lupo.sk liked this
By amdavid
Given the right location and driving distances for work purposes, I'll bet this car is one fun rocket to drive daily.

I say do it, tomorrow ain't promised.

I know how I felt driving a Tesla in ludicrous mode......I couldn't stop grinning ear to ear when the throttle was depressed, omg!...and the motor braking aspect is really cool too. I'll bet the Taycan is leaps and bounds ahead of the tesla on windy roads and a much more fun daily.
Last edited by amdavid on Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sh944 liked this
By AKSteve
I like the looks, particularly the front end and headlights. But I wish they made a 2 door coupe version. But then that would compete with the 911. Anyway, I've given up on electric cars for a while. Maybe I'll think about one again in a few years.
sh944 liked this
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:30 am I like the looks, particularly the front end and headlights. But I wish they made a 2 door coupe version. But …
… the electric “718” is already out-and-about in Test Mule form. When it will be ready to announce is anybody’s guess. Not even Porsche knows for sure. It shares (will share) the next-gen VAG software platform for EVs which is, based upon reports, a bag full of software issues.

But, publicly, PAG says it will be a ‘25 model. So, unless it is delayed further, one might expect it to be announced in calendar year 2024.

But, still a no-go in the Worf/CarChick household. CarChick has already announced that no electric vehicles are allowed to be garaged in the same building in which her cars are garaged. And, I’m 100% on board with that.
By fpena944
sh944 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:14 pm I travel pretty extensively across the US by car, so I'd think I'd have a good sense of what is sitting on the side of the road. I've yet to see a Taycan stranded. I'd be curious what your friend is basing his comment on, as truthfully, they haven't sold that many at this point. You occasionally see them on the road but its not an overly common occurrence unless maybe you are in metro San Fran/Los Angeles areas where such cars have cache (and I am just speculating there as I avoid both of those places like the plague). I have probably seen more Cayennes than anything else on the side of the road in my travels.

It certainly doesn't drive like my Spyder, but its like a more refined version of my wife's BMW 328i. Its performance capabilities outstrip its weight by a wide margin. You don't feel the weight of the car while driving it, and I know its pretty heavy. It have a very distinct "point and shoot" feel to it, just press the go pedal and aim it. Handles bumps very well, no real lean in the turns to speak of and gobs of torque. I am not beating on the car by any stretch of the imagination but am driving it like I would any of mine and enjoying the occasional cloverleaf.

The electronics, especially the dash, are a bit different for me as I am used to primarily analog data. Its kinda cool but I imagine it might lose its appeal over time, at least for me.

I'll be watching the driving range on it, charging cars like this in KC is not as easy as it would be on either coast. Having one in the garage for daily errands, run to office and Home Depot seems like its sweet spot, at least for me. I'm not ready to get rid of any of my existing fleet for a Taycan yet, but its *way* better than I expected.
My friend has been known to exaggerate so I wouldn't take his word as golden. He once told me a chicken place was better than Chick-Fil-A. Tried it and it was nowhere close so then he tried backtracking. :roflmao:
By wsh
Isn’t the Tooken ridiculously expensive?
I stopped at Porsche Jacksonville one day and was shocked at the prices. I’ll keep my 523 hp sounds like a NASCAR BMW M550i (with full leather) @$85k.
By worf
wsh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:59 pm Isn’t the Tooken ridiculously expensive?
There are 10 Toucan models with base prices ranging from 90,900 to 197,500.

All Porsches are ridiculously over-priced in comparison to other make/models with similar specs and/or plebeian utility.

A Boxster is more than twice the price of a Miata but, PAG makes it work don’t they?
By lupo.sk
worf wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:12 pm
All Porsches are ridiculously over-priced in comparison to other make/models with similar specs and/or plebeian utility.
My wife’s cayenne ehybrid with options was 178k EUR when new… retarded.
By worf
lupo.sk wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:46 pm My wife’s cayenne ehybrid with options was 178k EUR when new… retarded.
The Pigs have an even wider spread of base pricing across 9 models: $79,200 to $196,300 (USD.)
By ranger22
I own a Taycan. It’s my wife’s daily. She loves it. The attraction to her was never having to go to a gas station. Actually, not having to fill her car for her was an attraction to me too. The car is a Taycan Turbo. It’s the best “looking” of them because the painted facades. The Turbo S has carbon fiber a looses the paint. Car looks bad ass and still gets a lot of looks around town. We’ve had it for almost 3 yrs now. It’s a great ride once you’re in and settled. What I hate about it is that you have to hit 35 buttons every time you start it to get it configured. Backing out of a garage space, the homelink buttons are on the screen of the backup camera. Stop, close out camera view, open up homelink view, press button, close homelink view, open backup camera view. Repeat for the gate after the garage. Absolutely ridiculous. But holy shit this car is stupid fast and handles a four wheel drift very well.
IMG_2553.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
ranger22 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:12 pm I own a Taycan. It’s my wife’s daily. She loves it. The attraction to her was never having to go to a gas station. Actually, not having to fill her car for her was an attraction to me too. The car is a Taycan Turbo. It’s the best “looking” of them because the painted facades. The Turbo S has carbon fiber a looses the paint. Car looks bad ass and still gets a lot of looks around town. We’ve had it for almost 3 yrs now. It’s a great ride once you’re in and settled. What I hate about it is that you have to hit 35 buttons every time you start it to get it configured. Backing out of a garage space, the homelink buttons are on the screen of the backup camera. Stop, close out camera view, open up homelink view, press button, close homelink view, open backup camera view. Repeat for the gate after the garage. Absolutely ridiculous. But holy shit this car is stupid fast and handles a four wheel drift very well.

IMG_2553.jpeg
How has the actual range on a charge compared to Porsche's estimates?
By ranger22
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:38 pm
How has the actual range on a charge compared to Porsche's estimates?
Tough to say for sure. We only charge to 85% because it’s use case is glorified golf cart, effectively an around town car. At 85% charge, the range will read ~255miles. I’ve found the range predictions to be pretty accurate to my wife’s driving, but we’ve never taken way down to see if it will remain accurate to the end. When I drive, the range estimates are way off. The official EPA estimates are something like 241miles, but that assumes a 100% charge, so I think the real world experience for us beats the EPA estimates. I live in Texas and the car goes from garage to garage, so climate doesn’t really factor much. I suspect in really cold climates that the range will be reduced significantly.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]