Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
Aircooled 911s
By David993S
Odd thing happened about an hour ago. I started the 993 to move to the driveway to wash it. I thought the key seemed a little "notchy" when turning. Shut off fine. Started up again fine. Go to turn the car off after putting it back in the garage, and the key is stuck in the ignition. Won't turn all the way off (verticle position) to remove. I can still start the car and shut it off, but the key is stuck in the ignition. It's stuck in the first position - the one that dings when you open the door.

It doesn't have anything to so with the steering wheel lockout mechanism. That was disabled 24 years ago when the hand controls were installed. And it's worked fine for 24 years. I tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock to see if that worked.......nadda. The car has 46k miles.

Anyone ever have this problem? Do I need a new key/ignition mechanism? Did the tumblers inside the ignition break/fail?

Any advice, good or bad, is welcomed. :wink:
By amdavid
Interweb search...

Ignition key barrels can get dodgy on 993s. I was having problems turning the key on mine and noted that at a previous service report the OPC had recommended changing it.

In fact it just needed cleaning and oiling - I repeatedly put the key in with a couple of drops of 3in1 oil on it, wiggled it about, turned it, then pulled it out and wiped the dirty oil off the key. After a few minutes the key stopped coming out with black oil on it. It's been fine ever since, and that was 2 years ago.

With your stuck key I'd try getting in oil in around the key with drops on the end of a cocktail stick, wiggle it about and try to free it up.

Best of luck.
By David993S
amdavid wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:33 pm Interweb search...

Ignition key barrels can get dodgy on 993s. I was having problems turning the key on mine and noted that at a previous service report the OPC had recommended changing it.

In fact it just needed cleaning and oiling - I repeatedly put the key in with a couple of drops of 3in1 oil on it, wiggled it about, turned it, then pulled it out and wiped the dirty oil off the key. After a few minutes the key stopped coming out with black oil on it. It's been fine ever since, and that was 2 years ago.

With your stuck key I'd try getting in oil in around the key with drops on the end of a cocktail stick, wiggle it about and try to free it up.

Best of luck.
Thanks. I tried that and was able to get it out. After I got it out, I did what you suggested, and all seems to be fine now.
:thumbup:
amdavid liked this
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]