Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
A big THANK YOU to Corey (cwilt) for helping me avoid a car that appeared, and was presented as, a perfect car but was far from it. It's amazing how unscrupulous and downright dishonest dealers can be.
lupo.sk liked this
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:38 am A big THANK YOU to Corey (cwilt) for helping me avoid a car that appeared, and was presented as, a perfect car but was far from it. It's amazing how unscrupulous and downright dishonest dealers can be.
Why dealers want to risk their reputation is beyond me. Especially with bad press so easy to spread these days.

Glad you avoided a potential headache!
By David993S
There's been even more to unscrupulous dealer behavior during my car search.

Before Corey saved my butt, we looked at a Gran Turismo at the Maserati dealer in Indianapolis (Napleton Italian Imports). Nice car but with a couple of issues that could be addressed without much trouble. We told the salesjerk we wanted to make an offer. We go into his little office, and he leaves to talk to the sales manager. We wait.......and wait........and wait. After about 20 minutes we get up to go see what's going on. The salesjerk and the sales manager are talking. Remember, we said we wanted to make an offer, but no one has asked us what the offer would be. The sales manager presents us with a sales agreement with a list price nearly $1000 higher than their advertised price.........but there's more. It also includes $2495 for "LuxCare", the modern-day high-end version of dealer applied Scotch Guard. I question both numbers and get some story about "dynamic market pricing". Needless to say, we walked.

Three days later I see the same car advertised on their website for $3000 less than their original price! I called and spoke to a different salesjerk, and offered them their asking price PLUS $1000 to take care of the two issues needing attention (probably more that it would have cost the dealership). But I also say I still won't pay $2495 for LuxCare. I never hear back from them. No reply at all. No "I'll get back to you", no "Thanks, but no thanks", no "we can't accept your offer", no "bite me". Nothing.

I don't have a problem with them not taking my offer, but I would have appreciated the courtesy of a response. Not what one would expect from an authorized Maserati / Alfa dealer.
By tooloud10
I have had nothing but trouble with buying used cars in Chicago. My daughter's CPO '17 Ridgeline blew an engine on the way home. Test drove a 987 for a friend and it drove great but when it came off the truck the CEL was on and it had major engine problems. $1599 "doc" fees. So many shady used Euro dealers with lots full of "ten footers" even though they're relatively new cars.
XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
tooloud10 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:46 am I have had nothing but trouble with buying used cars in Chicago. My daughter's CPO '17 Ridgeline blew an engine on the way home. Test drove a 987 for a friend and it drove great but when it came off the truck the CEL was on and it had major engine problems. $1599 "doc" fees. So many shady used Euro dealers with lots full of "ten footers" even though they're relatively new cars.
I bought my Cayenne in Chicago.

We've had it 7 years now and they did disclose a minor fender bender that had been repaired. But when I took the passenger side door apart you could see it was a bit more than minor.

In any case it's been a good car otherwise but yeah, a bit of deception there with the severity of the damage.
By David993S
I'm beginning to agree with tooloud about Chicago cars. I've now dodged a 2nd bullet on another Maserati in Wheeling, IL at Roadster Salon that was represented as nearly perfect but turned out to have a long list of rather minor issues, and a few bigger issues. With all those issues, it simply didn't measure up to my standards. And the cost to correct them all would have added up quickly.

The first Chicago Maserati, at Exotic Motors in Rolling Meadows, IL (a very sketchy dealer) was also represented as in fantastic condition but was most likely (99.5%) a Florida flood car. It had multiple tell-tale signs of being partially submerged in water.

At this point I am now definitely growing tired of the search. Must be my age as I used to enjoy the hunt.
By N_Jay
tooloud10 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:46 am I have had nothing but trouble with buying used cars in Chicago. My daughter's CPO '17 Ridgeline blew an engine on the way home. Test drove a 987 for a friend and it drove great but when it came off the truck the CEL was on and it had major engine problems. $1599 "doc" fees. So many shady used Euro dealers with lots full of "ten footers" even though they're relatively new cars.
Try Florida dealers if you want to see what the bottom of the barrel looks like.
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:50 pm
Try Florida dealers if you want to see what the bottom of the barrel looks like.
Was just going to recommend he try a Miami dealer if he wants to see shady tactics!

I bought our Mini in Palm Beach and that was a pretty good experience and the car was properly represented.
By tooloud10
Ah, you guys might have me on the Miami thing. Those dealers that claim to be selling 'off lease' exotics for rock bottom prices are sketchy as hell!

One exception for the Chicago area would likely be Isringhausen Imports in Springfield. I have no personal experience but I've heard of many satisfied buyers, albeit likely at top dollar pricing.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]