Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
I tried the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating the other day. I used Meguiar's swirl remover first as the car's paint had some swirl marks, the kind that you can only really see under fluorescent lights, and then waxed. the finish looked amazing after just those two steps, applying and removing both with my orbital buffer. I then applied the 303 product. I'm not disappointed, but not overwhelmed either. I don't really see that it produced any better results than a good quality wax. It was easy to apply and didn't take much work. Is the benefit that it's harder than wax?
Has anyone else used that kind of a product, and if so, what's your experience and opinion?
By David993S
Does this thread hold the record for the most views without a single comment? :wink:
By worf
Not any more.
Skyhawk172 liked this
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:09 pm Does this thread hold the record for the most views without a single comment? :wink:
Remember this is a public forum so you have views from those who haven't registered and those who have been led here from the search engines. They probably have the same questions as you but just don't feel like going through the hassle of registering to add their two cents.

But yes, that's quite an accomplishment on your part - coming in on 1200 views without an on-topic response!
By Gregs04.5
Thought I'd try a bottle, think I'll throw it out. Used it on my tractor, I think 30 year old turtle wax works better.

I no longer have someone here to tell me I'm doing it wrong, so there's that.

Greg
David993S, amdavid liked this
By lupo.sk
Can it be applied at gas station automatic car washes? ;)
By SeanR
I think the ceramic coating is a scam. A “buddy” did my rover and either he was lazy and didn’t do the roof or it was improperly applied. Talked a big game about a 5 year warranty and all that sales pitch. Being a short guy I never see the roof of the truck and when I did 3 years later was appalled and pissed about the condition. The clear was sunbaked and was coming off. He tried blaming it on the trees I parked under at the house. (Except I didn’t) Paint shop said it looks like it hadn’t been waxed in years (it hadn’t) and they doubted it had any ceramic applied or if it had the guy was an idiot.
David993S, amdavid liked this
By fpena944
SeanR wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:10 pm I think the ceramic coating is a scam. A “buddy” did my rover and either he was lazy and didn’t do the roof or it was improperly applied. Talked a big game about a 5 year warranty and all that sales pitch. Being a short guy I never see the roof of the truck and when I did 3 years later was appalled and pissed about the condition. The clear was sunbaked and was coming off. He tried blaming it on the trees I parked under at the house. (Except I didn’t) Paint shop said it looks like it hadn’t been waxed in years (it hadn’t) and they doubted it had any ceramic applied or if it had the guy was an idiot.
I had it done to my cabrio a few years ago by a local detailer who is part of the PCA (he has a sweet GT4) and was really happy with the result. But it didn't last more than maybe a year. And keep in mind my car was garaged both at home and work but I was using it as a daily driver so it did get subject to all types of debris and weather conditions.

But given the car was 15+ years old at the time I was pretty impressed with the shine and how smooth the surface felt. Once I get it repainted I would consider having it done again but know that it'll be something that has to be maintained over time.

David993S liked this
By ranger22
SeanR wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:10 pm I think the ceramic coating is a scam. A “buddy” did my rover and either he was lazy and didn’t do the roof or it was improperly applied. Talked a big game about a 5 year warranty and all that sales pitch. Being a short guy I never see the roof of the truck and when I did 3 years later was appalled and pissed about the condition. The clear was sunbaked and was coming off. He tried blaming it on the trees I parked under at the house. (Except I didn’t) Paint shop said it looks like it hadn’t been waxed in years (it hadn’t) and they doubted it had any ceramic applied or if it had the guy was an idiot.
The super long term claims of ceramic coatings are BS. The claims of hardness like they will prevent scratches are BS. That said, if applied correctly, they go on easier than wax and last longer in terms of water shed. I wanted to learn how to do paint correction and apply a ceramic coating. The prep work is excruciating. It took me two days to do my 18yr old Land Cruiser. Since then, the car has been parked outside with no love given to it in the full Texas sun. Here’s a pic of it 3 months later and dirty as hell, but you can see the water still beading well. I’ve since washed it and washing was a breeze.
IMG_8041.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David993S liked this
By wsh
I like adding "something" every time I wash
Had been using Kenotech QD, slickest stuff I ever used. Bought thru Philip @ Detailers Domain
Now no longer available..
Philip recommended Nanolex SISplash as replacement

Must say it's the best stuff I've used. Not quite as slick as the Kenotech was, but super smooth and NOTHING sticks
I live in NE Florida, so a lot of bugs
Got the new M550i 3/7 and have yet to QD the front bumper for bugs (weekly event on last car)
Also use it on windows, and super easy/smooth to clean weekly with just water & microfiber
Supposedly this stuff can be sprayed on while car is wet, then rinsed; my usual is to wash, do a quick (say 80%) dry with MF, then spray the SISplash on a clean MF, wipe and quick buff. can do whole car in ~15 minutes. Love it, again super smooth and slick and car stays clean

YMMV
By worf
Had ceramic done (C-Quartz? Pro. IIRC) on my ‘15 after it was delivered when PPF was done.

I used it as a 3-season DD for 2+ years but, it was always parked under cover. Since then, occasional use.

I’ve done quite a few “waterless washes” over the years.

I wash it with actual water at most once per year. When I do, it gets a coating of one of the silicone sprays (renew/revitalize/rehobjigate/whatever… don’t remember name of the shit OTTOMH.) There’s been several winters where it just sits dirty in the garage ‘cause I didn’t beat the snow.

Still beads like crazy when wet.

So, I’m a fan of the ceramic coatings. Seems like ‘the guy’ doing the job is the biggest variable. Like most things in life, hmm?
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]