Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By SeanR
Interesting reading. Good for Hass and good for Ferrari.

https://wtf1.com/post/ferrari-are-creat ... KuUdn7gsTA
Haas, who are a customer of the Ferrari Power Unit, will be given their own base at the famous factory at Maranello but Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto reiterated that Haas is still an independent team and is not going to become a junior team for them.

With changes to budget caps, Binotto revealed that additional parts of his team have also relocated to the Haas team following the loan of Ferrari’s Head of Chassis Engineering Simone Resta to the American team.

“It’s something that was necessary for us, because we had to reduce our organisation to fulfil the limitations of the budget cap.

“Some of our people will join their team, and I think that’s a great opportunity for them because by doing that, it can reinforce their organisation, and their technical organisation.

“But Haas is a fully independent team, compared to Ferrari.

“It’s not a junior team and we’re not exchanging information beyond what’s possible in the regulation.”

Binotto said he would rather see his Ferrari colleagues go to a team such as Haas, rather than them be on the market for other teams to snap up.

The hub that Haas will occupy at Maranello will not be attached to Ferrari in any way, so no chance for the Haas team to get a sneaky close look to the 2021 Ferrari if they wanted to.
By Gator_86_951
Smart for all involved. I have always wondered what was going to happen to all the people involved in the sport when the budget caps came into place. Seems like they are figuring it out. Water always finds its level....
By SeanR
Looks like Albon will continue as reserve driver and will be running a limited schedule in DTM. Good for him.

https://wtf1.com/post/alexander-albon-w ... wPbHm2Kkbw
By Scott at Team Harco
You hate to see a guy that hasn't done anything wrong get dropped, but putting Sergio in that seat really made perfect sense. Nice that Alex has a solid ride in DTM. That's a good series.
By JustBud
By JustBud
Funniest reveal yet, Italian (in English) trying to pump up the crowd and then asks Kimi what he thinks of the car........ :roflmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kziHHLpFUm4

(about 12 minutes in)
By SeanR
JustBud wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:54 am Funniest reveal yet, Italian (in English) trying to pump up the crowd and then asks Kimi what he thinks of the car........ :roflmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kziHHLpFUm4

(about 12 minutes in)

Got 3 minutes in and I'm thinking................WTF am I watching? :roflmao:
By JustBud
SeanR wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 am

Got 3 minutes in and I'm thinking................WTF am I watching? :roflmao:
I was thinking the same, and then they send it to Kimi....... :lol2:
By Scott at Team Harco
My first look at the upcoming season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9h4r3oVEiQ
SeanR liked this
By JustBud
Everybody got a good look at RedBull/Honda yesterday.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvMY0Jec4XE

and is MB having the problems with the rear end like it seems? Or is it just more glimmers of hope for the rest of us?
SeanR liked this
By JustBud
I also have to say as much as I liked the pink livery of Racing Point, I'm becoming a big fan of the Aston Martin livery.

Alpine is another nice livery.

Ferrari and MB really missed the mark this year..... I actually think the Scuderia is the worst.

Not a big fan of the Russian flag on the HAAS car either although I understand the economics behind it.
By JustBud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-JgoftTTY

Really hope this bodes well for an interesting season...... a guy can hope can't he? :drunk:
By Spanky
Deleted
Last edited by Spanky on Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Spanky
I fell off the cliff this yr during preseason testing. I didnt follow any of the lead up to or testing until today. Only 3 days of testing this yr?? Based upon what I have just watched Ferrari going to have a 3rd rough engine power yr meaning Haas and Alfa will suffer to
Thanks for the videos and post.
Ive got lots of catching up to do. :thumbup:
By SeanR
So got up a bit early this morning and started watching Drive to Survive on Netflix. They did well once again and since I'm waiting on parts again, I binged the entire season in 8 hours. Worth watching.
By Gator_86_951
05D883EF-5DA7-46E7-95D9-1ADCD6C4267A.jpeg
:burnout: :burnout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By linderpat
Looking forward to it the new season. The Netflix show really is a shot in the arm to this. I'm also looking forward to all of the racing coming back on, and hopefully with people in the stands..
By worf
linderpat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:05 am Looking forward to it the new season. The Netflix show really is a shot in the arm to this. I'm also looking forward to all of the racing coming back on, and hopefully with people in the stands..
Looking forward to a season where Mercedes has to try. I’m not hopeful.
By Streck-Fu
Designer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:56 pm Season 3 of Netflix Drive to Survive drops March 19th.
:jumper:
I am watching F1 only becasue of this show. For years, I thought F1 racing taken alone, was pretty boring. With the Netflix show making not only the drivers but the team staff visible and showing us much more of the behind the scenes activity, I can watch the races in context with the show.

Now, if Netflix were able to produce a show during the season that could air a week or two after each race that shows the goings-on at each race, that would be awesome as well. Then save Drive to Survive to showcase the season retrospective.
By Scott at Team Harco
SeanR wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:23 pm Just checked my TV provider and they are only broadcasting FP3/Quali/Race. Nothing else at this time. Anyone using F1Pro? Is it worth getting?
Can't speak to F1Pro. But, if you are getting P3, Q and Race, you have ESPN2.

I didn't remember to watch P1 and P2, today. We get ESPNU (I think), so I could have watched. I could be wrong, having not actually remembering to tune-in. You might be able to watch replays at the ESPN website. That was hit-or-miss for me last year.
By Streck-Fu
Just finished the season of Drive...and I dislike Hamilton even more now...
SeanR liked this
By Gator_86_951
Streck-Fu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm Just finished the season of Drive...and I dislike Hamilton even more now...
He is such a douche nozzle. Just drive for Christ’s sake.
By SeanR
Streck-Fu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm Just finished the season of Drive...and I dislike Hamilton even more now...
I had to shut it off at that point. They should have focused on the fact that a rookie to his car qualified 2nd and if it wasn't for the team goofs he would have won his first race posing the question that possibly Hamilton isn't as good as some think he is. But Netflix dropped that ball.
Multi21 liked this
By Spanky
Vettel may be in trouble as he has been called on the carpet for 2 Q1 yellow flag infraction.
The RB car looks good/stable and is very fast
Final Grid Position:
Max V : RB
LH: MB
V. Bottas: MB
C Lecieri; Ferrari
P Gasley: Alpha Tuari
By Spanky
Exciting last 7 laps. In case guys havent watched yet I wont give away the results. :thumbup:
By SeanR
That was a fun race and I can see this season becoming on of the great ones. Going to have to watch it again this evening to see what I missed as I was making harnesses while it was on today.
By Scott at Team Harco
Was hoping for a different result - but, it was interesting. This season should be better than the past few. So we've got that going for us... which is nice.
By Spanky
Race replay is starting now on ESN
Vettel needs to retire. His clams that the kid changed his line this just isnt true. Vettel misjudged his braking distance and ran into the rear of the car in front of him( AGAIN). :banghead: His fault/mistake 100 pct
By Crisis
I'm not a fan of Hamilton but have to give credit when due and he drove great under pressure from Max yesterday. Don't like him but can't deny his talent.

Yeah, I don't see how Vettel could convince himself that crash wasn't his fault.
By linderpat
Jeezus, watched the Man on fire episode last night. Hats off to Netflix, one of the most gripping hours of TV I've seen in a long time. Wow. And what Perez did at the end. Holy shit. Like something out of Chariots of Fire!
SeanR liked this
By SeanR
linderpat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 am Jeezus, watched the Man on fire episode last night. Hats off to Netflix, one of the most gripping hours of TV I've seen in a long time. Wow. And what Perez did at the end. Holy shit. Like something out of Chariots of Fire!
Agreed on what you said above.

Perez's race there is what won him the seat at Red Bull this year.
linderpat liked this
By JustBud
So I missed Bahrain, but I was lucky enough to catch a replay..... :beerchug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkVeT9GWeE
SeanR liked this
By David993S
Congrats to Max today at Imola. He and the Red Bull are going to contend this year. And nice to see Lando on the podium.

OK, now I'm gonna bitch a little about two current F1 rules. Hamilton screwed up and made a rare mistake, lost a lap, etc. Red Flag, so on the restart lapped cars are allowed to take a pace car lap to make up their lap. That's the 1st bullshit rule. Why let lapped drivers make up a lap other than to keep the racing closer for the fans. Otherwise it's unfair to every driver that's on the lead lap. 2nd (old) bullshit rule, is DRS. Again, only for the race fans. Why give a "behind" driver an extra advantage to pass someone ahead? I've never liked the DRS rule.

Now for my admitted bias: Today, these two rules, combined, allowed Hamilton to finish 2nd. Despite his unquestionable talent, today he should have (probably) finished out of the top 10. He didn't earn 2nd place.

By SeanR
That was a hell of a race to watch and I really feel the same way about the un-lapping of cars on a red flag. Line the cars up in the position that they were in when the red flag dropped and the race was stopped. Good job by Norris and both of the Scuderia cars. That gives me hope for Ferrari this year, they seemed to have improved but still lack the power needed.

Mazipan sure loves to loop his car, maybe drifting is more his forte. Perez can't seem to get a handle on that RB and that further shows that the car is difficult to drive which showcases Max's ability to drive it.

I feel really bad for George, should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
image.png

No clue why a pic from another thead is showing up on this one and I can't edit it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Scott at Team Harco
When I turned on the TV and saw the wet track, I figured we were in for an interesting race. It was certainly that.

A few personal points:

1) If there were no DRS, there would be almost no passing and much more risk taking to make a pass. It may seem artificial, but I think it is a necessary evil in this extreme-aero age.

2) I didn't like the fact that Hammy got his lap back, either. If you are a fan of his, you love the rule. If not..
I can see the reasoning. In this case, I wasn't a fan of it.

3) SeanR - I've done this same thing. I had an image saved and somehow it carried over to a new, unrelated, post. I think there are four boxes in the lower portion of the screen when you upload an image. Deleting those out, might fix it. Or, not...

4) Good to see McLaren and Ferrari running strong behind the top two teams. That should be an interesting battle, all year long.

5) Lots of sloppy driving from quite a few. Perez and Bottas definitely did not look sharp today.
By SeanR
Anyone know where Will Buxtons Paddock Pass has gone? He used to give the post race sum up and I greatly enjoyed it but so far this year it has not happened. Nothing I can find on the google explains why it has not gone on.
By Multi21
Two races in and LH benefits in Bahrian by the FIA allowing him to run wide in turn 4 a total of 29 times. At .2 advantage per occasion, that's appx. 6 sec. advantage. He won that race by less than that.

In race #2, LH makes a rookie mistake by trying to overtake on a wet line on a downhill braking zone, goes off and breaks his wing and takes 90 seconds to get out of the gravel trap. In that time, Max laps him.... but wait... there's more. Imola has the longest pit straight on the calendar at 28 seconds. Add 14 second in the pit box for a front wing change instead of the typical 2.5 sec. stop and you would have had LH down 2 laps by the time he exited the pits. What are the odds that a safety car comes out just as LH is getting out of the gravel trap nullifying the time the field would have to go around at full speed while he limps back to the pits. What are the odds that a red flag comes out where the time he would have spent in the pits is nil? He gets repairs, fresh tires a drink, bathroom break and lap back at no cost to him.... the luck this guy has is unreal.

Why is Bottas fighting a Williams for P9?

I don't know if Max will be able to prevail after a 23 race season, but it kind of feels like a changing of the guard when Alonso beat Schumacher in 2005 and 2006...
By linderpat
pretty boring race today. This is getting way to predictable
By Scott at Team Harco
linderpat wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 pm pretty boring race today. This is getting way to predictable
So was last week's race.

We need more rain on race day.

For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Po[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks Dave. I surely don't want to mess with the […]

Gary, been reading a little in the wiring primer. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]