8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By hans14914
A couple people have asked about using damper rails on factory manifolds and engine management.

I had a couple extra minutes after work yesterday and some printer availability at the office today, so went through the process of reverse engineering the original regulator and aircleaner mounting brackets.

They almost done. I need to print validation jigs for the air cleaner mounting hole, but they pass the paper template test, so should only take a couple tries.

The rough bracket took four initial tries with paper, then six printed test fixtures to confirm the mounting holes.

Hoping to send out for waterjet tomorrow so I can test the complete bracket with the updated mounting method for a DWR1000c regulator.

I will have the model available if anyone needs to mount a different brand of regulator in an original location, or just needs replacement stock brackets. I can also provide without the air cleaner mounts if somwone has custom intake plumbing.

I will also work up a set of PTFE lined hosed for use with damper rails and the DWR1000c regulator and have those available for those that want to update all the underhood fuel system.

SeanR liked this
By worf
Hans the stock pieces you show are ‘87/‘88: a one-piece design for both regulator/damper and air box stand-off.

You should look at the two-piece designs used ‘89-‘95 and make sure that what you do is compatible with those too.

The two-piece design is far superior when it comes time to put a wrench near them.
SeanR liked this
By hessank
2 weeks ago I installed Kevin's developed FPR and both dampers.
What irks me is having to unbolt the FPR and break the gasket seal to the block.
Hans please design it with this type of double ended bolt to prevent that.
By hans14914
worf wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 am Hans the stock pieces you show are ‘87/‘88: a one-piece design for both regulator/damper and air box stand-off.

You should look at the two-piece designs used ‘89-‘95 and make sure that what you do is compatible with those too.

The two-piece design is far superior when it comes time to put a wrench near them.
The mounting points on the head and for the air cleaner did not change between the years. This was the bracket I had handy to capture that data.

I am sure I have later brackets in a box somewhere, but the important part to me is getting all those mounting positions in a model. If you have a part number for the later bracket, I will try and order one - will be faster than trying to dig through all my bins of parts to validate.
By hans14914
Here is the modified bracket for the DWR1000c.

In the exact stock location, the side port is blocked by the filter arm. So that will need to be pulled out a bit for clearance. Will print one and see how far I can extend that without any interference.

Design iterations and making a two-piece version will be pretty quick now with the correct mounting geometry modeled.

By Benno
As one of the people that is interested in using Hans fuel rails and the DWR1000c. fuel pressure regulator, I am very interested in the process of this bracket. Thanks for the great work, Hans! I can't wait for the finished product
By hans14914
Went through the process for the other side. They are not as mirrored as I would have thought.

So, this is the US passenger side bracket - the one that normally holds the regulator.

I will probably play around with this one. I have already confirmed that the -6ORB 180deg XRP HS79 fittings I had custom made for my supercharger fuel lines fit the factory routing path to the fuel cooler.

By worf
hans14914 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:49 am
worf wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 am The two-piece design is far superior when it comes time to put a wrench near them.
If you have a part number for the later bracket, I will try and order one - will be faster than trying to dig through all my bins of parts to validate.

Right side:
Left side:
By hans14914
worf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:06 pm
hans14914 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:49 am
worf wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 am The two-piece design is far superior when it comes time to put a wrench near them.
If you have a part number for the later bracket, I will try and order one - will be faster than trying to dig through all my bins of parts to validate.

Right side:
Left side:
Thanks for the research on that one. I see three of those as discontinued. I guarantee I have a couple in boxes somewhere, but that is going to take some real determination to find.

The regulator support bracket on its own is available for $6, so may grab one of those new.

I could probably make a pretty educated guess how to split these into two separate brackets though.
By worf
hans14914 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 pm I could probably make a pretty educated guess how to split these into two separate brackets though.
What we bettin’?

I will go take pictures of these on the motor I’m building,

Post your guess.
By worf
@hans14914 pictures in email.
By Benno
Hans, here are the base brackets that are part of the two-piece bracket found on the later models. These brackets hold the Airbox and there are separate brackets for the dampers. These brackets are about $10 each from the dealer so it may be sufficient.

My question to you regarding the installation of these fuel rails on a stock intake (unboosted) is why is a bracket needed for the FPR? I thought the FPR could be installed directly into the fuel rail as pictured below. Then the airbox would mount using the brackets I have posted above.
By hans14914
There are a couple issues with the regulator there for stock use. I have it there on my cars running sequential fuel injection. I prefer having a parallel flow path for the batch injection (LH controlled fueling).

Also, that regulator location is not compatible with the factory air cleaner.

The brackets shown appear to be NLA at dealers, so just going to make some to hold a DWR1000c in the original location.

If I could find a good way to hang the regulator on the firewall, I would, but can't find any good mounting locations to borrow.

When I have the brackets done, I will get XRP to make a set of hoses in HS79CSM for the parallel flow setup.
By hans14914
DC sent me over a full set of the 2-piece brackets to model.

I now have the updated 89+ brackets ready to send out for some quotes. I will make these for both the stock regulators, and the DW1000 regulator.

Lines for using with damper rails coming up next.

worf liked this
By hans14914
Did a quick and dirty scan last night (spent some time cleaning an engine and thought I would take advantage) to locate the fuel cooler spatially, in reference to the damper rail exit.

Now I can test fit brackets and do some fuel line routing checks from the desk when I am stuck away from a car.

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]