General discussions related to cars and driving
By fpena944
Been reading reviews and hearing some decent things about this oil. So should it be trusted and even, dare I say, used on our P-cars?

The price is substantially less than Mobil 1 even if buy it from Wal-Mart.

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://amzn.to/3EftYu9
By Scott at Team Harco
I have used it a few times in my Audi. Seems fine. The only reason I decided to try it, was the fact that the specs ranked high on the 'oil guy's chart'. He tests most oils and rates them.
By worf
ZDDP PPM for the flat lifters on the 928/924/944/928?
By eflight
I'd be worried that it was great oil for the first 3 months when all the testers and reviewers would get it and write about it, then it would transition to crappy oil by the lowest bidder after that.
Gregs04.5 liked this
By fpena944
I found Mobil 1 listed on the WalMart website for only a few bucks more than Amazon's oil.

So I take a deep breath and enter the hell we all know as Wally-World and when I get there I discover their website is inaccurate and none of the 0w-40 they said was in stock is on the shelves.

I'll try to order it off the website but I know last time that happen I got an email a few days later that the item actually was not in stock so my order was cancelled.

Fun times!
By ltusler
Are you willing to risk a 30k motor to save a few bucks on a oil change?
By fpena944
ltusler wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:03 pm Are you willing to risk a 30k motor to save a few bucks on a oil change?
I decided against it. Changed the oil on the Cayenne just a couple of hours ago and had to go to three different places to get enough Mobil 1 for this car and the Cayman which is also due for a change.

So nope, not risking it this time since we'll be putting about 2500 miles on the CTT in the next week with our travels.
By JDS968
I used to run the 968 on Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 (it had no catalyst). I run the Z06 on Redline 5W-50 and Mrs. Florida's 392 HEMI (Apache) Charger Scat Pack on Redline 0W-40. The 248,000 mile UZJ100 gets 5W-30 Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 (many different variations of M1 available these days) depending on what's in stock and on sale/cheapest. Considering the tiny difference in lubricant cost per mile driven, I think sticking to known high performance formulations offers a lot of safety per dollar.

The one thing I would really like to be able to use is 0W-30 Mobil 1 for the truck. Nothing wrong with the 5W-30, but they do make 0W-30 and that would give me better protection and fuel economy during cold starts and running. Mobil makes it, I just can never seem to find it on store shelves.
By N_Jay
Walmart had Mobil-1 0-40 Euro in a rollback a few weeks ago.
Picked up a couple of jugs for the Cayman, but wondering if I should just stock up when the price is good?

EDIT: Just took a look to check teh price and found this at $5 a quart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-FS-E ... /893400295
Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 12 qt Box
$60.00
15.6 ¢/fl o
z
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:38 pm Walmart had Mobil-1 0-40 Euro in a rollback a few weeks ago.
Picked up a couple of jugs for the Cayman, but wondering if I should just stock up when the price is good?

EDIT: Just took a look to check teh price and found this at $5 a quart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-FS-E ... /893400295
Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 12 qt Box
$60.00
15.6 ¢/fl o
z
My problem with Walmart is that they always claim to have it in stock (based on their website) and then I have to go on a wild goose chase to find a store that actually still has it.

Each time I place an online order to pick up I get a call telling me, "Oh the inventory system isn't that great so we actually don't have any."

When I did my oil change on the Cayman and Cayenne recently I had to go to 3 different stores to get enough to for both of them. Frustrating!
By N_Jay
I'll let you know, but ordered 2 cases to be delivered to the house.
At $5 a qt, it is probably worth reordering till it shows up.

8 each change for the 987, and 7 for the S450 (actually surprised it only takes 7)

The only problem with the Qt bottles is filling them to take the oil to drop off.
By N_Jay
Just read the reviews.
Figured it was a case of 12 Qt bottles.

Nope, it is a box with a single 12qt bag. (Like wine in a box.

Guess I will have to hang on to a 5qt and 1qt bottle to measure.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:38 pm My problem with Walmart is that they always claim to have it in stock (based on their website) and then I have to go on a wild goose chase to find a store that actually still has it.
Thoughts:

NAPA has a yearly sale on Mobil oil. Watch for it.

I go to Walmart two or three times per year and always buy every 5qt jug of M1 0w-40 and 15w-50 they have and generally a couple of quart bottles. If they have M1 5w-50 I’ll get all of that too.

I usually have one complete “set” of oil on the shelf for everything plus plenty of 15w-50 for the 928s that come through here.
By N_Jay
Well, it says that it is on the way.

Just had a flashback memory of those oil funnel lids that fit on Mason jars for measuring oil pumped from a drum.

Wonder if I still have my granddad's?

EDIT:
Well it arrived . . . sort of.

They shipped one box not two.
They credited me back for the second box, and added a $25 credit for the trouble.
So reordered the oil to be delivered tomorrow.
Average cost after credit is $3.96 a quart.
By worf
@N_Jay so you order this from Walmart?

Should have ordered two more rather than one to see if the mistake is repeated…
By JDS968
N_Jay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:21 pmThe only problem with the Qt bottles is filling them to take the oil to drop off.
I always save the 1 gallon windshield washer fluid jugs and drain the catch pan into those.

1 gallon Arizona tea jugs or 1 gallon milk jugs would work, too.
By lupo.sk
JDS968 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:29 pm
N_Jay wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:21 pmThe only problem with the Qt bottles is filling them to take the oil to drop off.
I always save the 1 gallon windshield washer fluid jugs and drain the catch pan into those.

How about 1 gallon orange juice jugs?
Or 1 gallon laundry detergent hugs?

Asking for a friend ;)
By JDS968
lupo.sk wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:43 am
JDS968 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:29 pm

How about 1 gallon orange juice jugs?
Or 1 gallon laundry detergent hugs?

Asking for a friend ;)
I can't remember, does orange juice come in clear plastic when it's a gallon? I haven't bought any in years but I always used to get it in half gallon paper cartons. Anyway, I always use clear plastic containers so I can easily see how full they're getting while I'm using a funnel to pour from the drain pan. So I avoid laundry detergent or bleach or stuff like that.
By worf
Don’t attempt to store old coolant in gallon jugs meant for milk or water.

FYI…
By JDS968
worf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:18 amDon’t attempt to store old coolant in gallon jugs meant for milk or water.

FYI…
I don't think I've ever stored old coolant. It always gets diluted with a ton of water and dispersed.
By N_Jay
So now it seems that Mobil-1 has three 0W40 oils.
European Car, the original,
Then Racing, which I figured maybe traded off some compromise, maybe for higher temp use but not for longevity.
Now "Supercar, which is Dexos compliant.
Maybe just marketing, or maybe there is some spec conflict between the MB/VAG spec and Dexos?
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:52 pm So now it seems that Mobil-1 has three 0W40 oils.
European Car, the original,
Then Racing, which I figured maybe traded off some compromise, maybe for higher temp use but not for longevity.
Now "Supercar, which is Dexos compliant.
Maybe just marketing, or maybe there is some spec conflict between the MB/VAG spec and Dexos?
Or maybe 4 variations.

There's a 0w-40 European Spec. Then the "FS" version with is about fours years old now but has mostly supplanted the original as the original runs out of stock. Both are "A40" Porsche spec.

The newest is 0w-40 x3 which has "C40" Porsche spec. The A40 oil is only for use in pre-'20 Porsches. The C40 is only for use in '21+ Porsches. The difference is that the '21+ Porsches have the GPF matrix and the C40 is required so as not to gum it up but C40 is not approved for the older Porsches.
By AKSteve
worf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:04 pm The newest is 0w-40 x3 which has "C40" Porsche spec. The A40 oil is only for use in pre-'20 Porsches. The C40 is only for use in '21+ Porsches. The difference is that the '21+ Porsches have the GPF matrix and the C40 is required so as not to gum it up but C40 is not approved for the older Porsches.
Yeah, I remember reading about this stuff on the old board back after I got my 992. Quoting a post from over there from 992Sam on why the 992 uses C40 oil:

So I did a lot (and I mean a lot) of digging on this.... the reason revolves around two things.. LSPI (low speed pre ignition) and reduction of calcium detergents in the C40 spec which has been shown to increase LSPI, as well as due to the new spec oil having a better evaporation performance which then prevents oil gasses being sent back thru the PCV into the intake and carbon building up on said valves.
Of course, when I bought my 992, this oil was impossible to find in the USA. And when I went in for my first oil change and asked the service manager if they were using the C40 stuff, he had no idea what it even was and just told me, "We use whatever Porsche gives us."

I just recently bought a quart of Mobil1 without thinking about the C40 rating so I'm not even sure which one I got. I actually bought it for my Raptor. The Gen 3 Raptor calls for MotorCraft Fully Synthetic oil. And, guess what? It's impossible to fucking find. So I figured if Mobil 1 is good enough for Porsche, it'll do just fine in my Raptor if I need to add some oil.
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:55 am So which one is "C40"?
IIRC it is labeled “x3” (or maybe ESPx3 or some such shit but it’s definitely “x3” and you’ll see the C40 spec on the back of the bottle with all the other specs.)

Don’t worry too much about buying it accidentally. It was a fucking quest to gather the 8 quarts I need for an April oil change.

@AKSteve That post from the 992 board is kinda-sort-of right and somewhat wrong. The C40 spec oil is *very specifically* only for use in the cars that come with the GPF matrix (Gasoline Particulate Filter; inert in N.A. but matrix is still in the exhaust path.) The additional bits about LPSI and carbon are just icing on the cake.

According to Porsche you can’t put A40 in a C40 car nor C40 in an A40 car. No one that I can find knows why exactly C40 isn’t backward compatible with A40 cars.
By eflight
Some of the longest threads in the Porsche forums are what oils are ok in the older classic cars. ZDDP levels appear to drive all the discussions about what acceptable.
By fpena944
Great...just when I thought I got this whole oil thing figured out now they introduce 3 versions of the same thing.

I guess bottom line is to just change it often and use the right weight. Hopefully the rest just sorta works itself out.
By lupo.sk
Shorten interval, use oil out of spec. I use race motul oils for non-DD cars and mfg spec motul for DD cars.
My interval is 10k kms / 6k miles / 12 months. I would be okay even if I used some basic cheapo synth oil, and I do drive my cars hard.

Btw, some of the reviews put mobil 0w-40 in the 0w-30 category as it gets pretty thin at higher temps, keep it in mind if you ever track your car. Way higher HTHS was why I switched to racing motul 10W-60 for summer toys.
By worf
eflight wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:06 am Some of the longest threads in the Porsche forums are what oils are ok in the older classic cars. ZDDP levels appear to drive all the discussions about what acceptable.
My posts above apply to 991/981 and newer.

I don’t know what year is the “classic” break. For me, no Porsches between 1995 and 2013 exist. 1995 is in the “Classic” era and 2013 is in the 0w-40 but-what-kind-of-0w-40-oil-to-use era.
By worf
lupo.sk wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:13 am Btw, some of the reviews put mobil 0w-40 in the 0w-30 category as it gets pretty thin at higher temps, keep it in mind if you ever track your car. Way higher HTHS was why I switched to racing motul 10W-60 for summer toys.
Yup. Ow-40 A40 spec wears out fast.

I use 5w-50 A40 in the heavy-duty summer car.

I have 5 different motor oil specifications that I have to buy.
By N_Jay
ESP or Low SAPS oil is definitely a thing different from standard oils.
It started with diesels with exhaust particulate filters that would clog, but seems to have been expanded to gas exhaust systems that are sensitive to ash and certain contaminants.

I understand the ESP being different, and seems that is what the C40 is.
Not sure why it is not suitable for A40 engines, other than maybe some of the chemicals not allowed in ESP Low SAPS oil (phosphorus and sulfur) have positive properties the older engines were designed to need.

The racing oil says it is not designed for street use, so I could see where it might not have the longevity (acid reduction, etc.)

Still wonder on the Euto vs. Supercar.

"FS" seems to be Full Synthetic which is kind of redundant with the Mobil-1 brand.

First it was ATF, then Coolants, and now oils have entered the age of being "Engineered Fluids"
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]