Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By worf
The Fat Man wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:36 pm Was the 'too-long-bolts' CV joint at the transmission or wheel hub side?
Wheel hub.

But the clearance of the hub and the transaxle flange is such that an extra couple of MMs of length is sufficient to cause interference. The main problem here was two day different both lengths required and rather than 6 and 6 there was 5 and 7 and the odd long bolt was on the hub side.

Now that I think about it, I’ll bet the count is 7 and 5 on the other side. (But, that 928 isn’t here anymore.)
By maddog2020
worf wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:00 pm This one has been fun. Two problems in this picture. The first one can't be effortlessly deduced:

On the early half shafts there are two different sizes of Alan bolts. PET no longer indicates this. In the picture below, there are 7 long bolts and 5 short bolts. The "previous technician" upon discovering this, just backed-out one of the too-long bolts a thread and called it good.

Now, the second problem is clearly visible...

this is known as the "Lance Armstrong" version of the halfshaft. :hiding:
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:49 am this is known as the "Lance Armstrong" version of the halfshaft. :hiding:
I've been told that that version's shaft is also much shorter.
By Scoper
When I got my 78 on a lift I saw grease sprayed all over the back part. The pattern suggested the CV joints. Turns out early cars have 2 gaskets per joint and someone had redone them with a later kit that had 1 gasket per joint! Messy job but never saw the insides of a CV joint!
By Scoper
When I got my 78 home, the turn signal only occasionally cancelled. A prior dufus had installed the ring 120 degrees off!

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I "think" they are straight. […]