Mid-engine cars
By FlatSix
Thoughts? Opinions?

Just on performance/equipment, not sound or aesthetics. I personally like the look of the 981 GTS. Drove a 981 S with PDK, flogged it a bit, and felt like that was as much car as I'd ever need / like to try to handle for a daily driver.

From my web searching, seems like the 718 S is just as capable as the 981 GTS, faster off the line with sport chrono, and with the torque a lot earlier.

This is a PDK vs. PDK test, btw.

Anybody driven them both?
By amdavid
The flat 6 is the obvious choice, at least for me. Turbo 4's were never my cup, in fact I used to avoid them at all costs, however in general turbo charging has evolved to the point of being a reliable option. You drove the 981, now go drive a 718. I'm guessing, as I've heard the 718 is a little firecracker and a ball to drive.

Good times, enjoy the hunt.
By worf
CarChick had a PDK 981S. I have a 718T 6-speed. I’ve driven 718 and 718 GTS both PDK at PEC.

718S and 981 GTS are not that different by the numbers. Outside of the sound the choice is about purpose, IMO.

I find the 718 with its broad torque curve to be a lot more lively and engaging around town than the 981. The 981 always felt sluggish around town (unless you kept the revs at 4k+ which is not what you do around town.)

The 718 suspension is a bit better than the 981. Brakes a bit bigger. 718 has CarPlay (if you care.)

Otherwise pretty much the same.

If the 981 had been 6-speed we would have kept it.

Trick with PDK - if you don’t know already - in the 981 and 718 is to always keep it in Sport mode or manual mode else it’s trying to pass emissions tests.

EDIT: for a DD/commuter I’d choose the 718.
By XR4Tim
I drove Boxster versions of both back-to-back on the track at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. The 718S is faster on paper, but the 981 GTS felt faster. Much of that may have been due to the aggressive engine sound. Both are excellent, and I don't dislike the sound of the 718, it's just more quiet. You'll have the option of a better PCM in the 718, but otherwise equipment is very similar.
By worf
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:19 pm … on the track at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.
On the track, for road trips or for only weekend twisty fun, I’d pick the 981.

For DD/commuting/shopping the 718.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:45 pm CarChick had a PDK 981S. I have a 718T 6-speed. I’ve driven 718 and 718 GTS both PDK at PEC.

718S and 981 GTS are not that different by the numbers. Outside of the sound the choice is about purpose, IMO.

I find the 718 with its broad torque curve to be a lot more lively and engaging around town than the 981. The 981 always felt sluggish around town (unless you kept the revs at 4k+ which is not what you do around town.)

The 718 suspension is a bit better than the 981. Brakes a bit bigger. 718 has CarPlay (if you care.)

Otherwise pretty much the same.

If the 981 had been 6-speed we would have kept it.

Trick with PDK - if you don’t know already - in the 981 and 718 is to always keep it in Sport mode or manual mode else it’s trying to pass emissions tests.

EDIT: for a DD/commuter I’d choose the 718.
I can attest to the fact that a PDK 981 is neutered in default mode. I sometimes forget to turn sport mode on and the car feels like someone purposely made the throttle lazy and cut 40% of the power from the engine.

But once sport mode is enabled it wakes up and becomes the car it should be in default mode.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Was recently in the passenger seat of a 718. To me, it's not just the sound, but also the overall harshness/vibration that makes it a nonstarter for me.
By fpena944
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:29 pm Was recently in the passenger seat of a 718. To me, it's not just the sound, but also the overall harshness/vibration that makes it a nonstarter for me.
Too much harshness and vibration?

If so my wife complains of the same with my 981 as she says the Cayenne Turbo's suspension and road manners are superior. I tell her it's because the Cayman is intended for a specific purpose and much smaller.

I do feel like it's a little stiffer that my 996 with RoW M030 suspension. Plus when idling you can feel the engine a bit more too. But I still enjoy the experience as these things don't bother me as all
By worf
Yaw’ll want harsh and vibrate-y? Try a 911. Not 993, 964… an 80s 911.

I’m quite fond of my 718 T. From the driver’s seat it’s neither harsh nor do the vibrations annoy. I’ve never been in its passenger seat.

The SPASM suspension and whatever else they evolved from the 981 results in the best “feel” I’ve ever had in a car(*) and it makes the 981 seem … vague.

(*) Old Ferraris have more “feel” but it ain’t always good “feel.”

Most folks used to the flat-six sound hear the flat-four and are instantly conditioned to hate the entire car. The sound seems to prevent them from experiencing anything else it has to offer. Whatever.

With 25-years of 928 ownership I’m used to being looked down upon by 911 folks. :kickbutt:
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the vibration and harshness I was referring to was with the engine, not the entire package. I suppose that's to be expected with combustion every half a turn.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:27 pm Yaw’ll want harsh and vibrate-y? Try a 911. Not 993, 964… an 80s 911.

I’m quite fond of my 718 T. From the driver’s seat it’s neither harsh nor do the vibrations annoy. I’ve never been in its passenger seat.

The SPASM suspension and whatever else they evolved from the 981 results in the best “feel” I’ve ever had in a car(*) and it makes the 981 seem … vague.

(*) Old Ferraris have more “feel” but it ain’t always good “feel.”

Most folks used to the flat-six sound hear the flat-four and are instantly conditioned to hate the entire car. The sound seems to prevent them from experiencing anything else it has to offer. Whatever.

With 25-years of 928 ownership I’m used to being looked down upon by 911 folks. :kickbutt:
I've not heard a 718 under acceleration in person so I couldn't tell you how different they are. But on YouTube videos that do a comparison I really don't hear a tremendous amount of difference.

I know the 944 is an inline 4 but my S2 had a 3.0 liter engine and I thought it sounded damn good. So 4 cylinder engines can still be made to have a great soundtrack.

But there is something intoxicating about the sound my little 981 puts out when it is revving close to redline. I mean even with the stock exhaust I think it sounds great. If the 718 is anything like that then I'd have no complaints.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]