8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ladybug83
Landseer wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:13 pm Thanks brother Shifted!.

It's the one 928 that never got my full sorting treatment until now. Slowly but steadily am sorting the various electrical features.

Am enjoying all your posts on turbo and the general stuff. You and Dwayne are cut from similar cloth. Extremely good teschers.

Brown car is kinda cool, but the zyrc car and ladybugs car are incredible colors.....

Ladybug is that petrol blue? Would like more pics!
Thanks Landseer, its Prussian Blue metallic. That garage photo I posted is edited with tints, shadows, etc.

These are more representative

Cloudy day

Sunny day
By worf
Whelp... figured out why the Zyc S4 was running super lean. Smoke test was pretty smokey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By maddog2020
worf wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:07 am Whelp... figured out why the Zyc S4 was running super lean. Smoke test was pretty smokey.
that would do it.
By worf
For purposes of a future post (most likely a thread) what do we call these things?

I've never really cared before, so "snap together plastic spark plug wire retainer thingies" was fine. But, seems kinda long.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Wire Clips?

One of my favorite movies.

By linderpat
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:15 am
One of my favorite movies.

Mine too - "Hey Blondie, you ...."!
By linderpat
nice work Alex. Is that a zirk fitting on the upper A arm?
By Majestic Moose
linderpat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:24 pm nice work Alex. Is that a zirk fitting on the upper A arm?
Yes it is. I rebuilt the upper arms 5 years ago. The balljoint kit is for 944s from Rennbay. It works for '78-86.5' years I think.
https://rennbay.com/Ball-Joints/944-Bal ... shing.html
By worf
Tony wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:52 pm ... artsy picture ...
Very artsy T! Like.

And I see you're an accomplished ball balancer!

As for me, 90 hours later (70 of which will be billed) the Zyc S4 once again runs. It will need to be retuned in the spring. That'll take 4 to 10 hours depending upon how far off the existing maps are. (It's not 'done done' yet, a couple of non-SC-related things to button up. And don't give me no shit about the jump post splash shield or missing x-brace bolt :tongue: )

There are a lot of "product development" and mystery unraveling lessons in that work.

SeanR liked this
By worf
Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 am What is the max boost and what AFR did you target for WOT? Any power calculations? I was finally able to finish my warmup compensation map now that it's colder. So, the reverse of your situation :)
Here’s the answer to your question until Spring or whenever it gets shipped back to me (whichever comes last):

Yes. There are 6 928s in that picture. Superman can see them? What’s your problem? :smiley:
By Charlie
63010109494__132AC94E-B65C-4015-9C3E-611921F472A2.jpg
63010113446__A34E9BEA-C02D-42F5-B06D-B3D0EA5C87AA.jpg
63010144744__A66AB467-075C-4DCD-99DF-557E082363D2.jpg
Nissan rear lamp harness = 928 content, as everyone knows.
By worf
Charlie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:27 pm Nissan rear lamp harness = 928 content, as everyone knows.
Sir Charles, you should cross-post that to the Cat Thread :)

Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 am Worf: Nice work! That's awesome! What is the max boost and what AFR did you target for WOT? Any power calculations?
Interim answers: I have no idea what the max boost or power for this should be or what it is now. Not my circus or monkeys initially. This was a car dragged to me for diagnosis and repair. I'd never given this kit a first or second thought previously. Sean might know numbers since he has a kit similar to this one. He was a big help answering some 'baseline' questions for me.

As for retuning... it needs it because it was originally tuned with a mass-air sensor on the way out, IMS bypassed due to bad plug wires (i.e. tuned when misfiring) and, apparently, tuned using the simulated NB output from an LSU 4.2 and LC-1 since there was zero accommodation for getting a WB signal into the Shark Tuner.

I haven't played with my Shark Tuner since I did the 'chips' for D.R.'s twin-screw in 2008. Since that was pre-Corenman I also developed my own log-reading/futzing software. In the interim many new features have been added to the Shark Tuner software. In particular the PID idle controller brings a much-needed capability for boosted engines (that have way-non-stock idle requirements.)

Also, the - apparent - new ability to selectively disable the o2 adjustment was something I had to work around the lack of with hardware and wiring in 2008.

So... when it's back I will adjust my software to accept the input from the electronic boost sender and do some logging. Once I see where boost occurs I'll investigate using the ability to disable the o2 adjustment for cells in which I have boost. My 'natural' predilection is to target 14.7:1 for non-boost cells and 12 to 12.6:1 for boost cells. I'll probably withdraw the pin for WOT in the LH ECU connector so that the WOT fuel map cannot be triggered.

Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 am I was finally able to finish my warmup compensation map now that it's colder.
Yes. Since you only get one test per day for start and warm-up it can take a while. In terms of calendar time I spent a year on that for the twin-screw kit.

928 picture content: which wiring would you prefer in your product? The first all wrapped up in 20 feet of electrical tape? Or the second?
By Charlie
Thanks @worf - I think I will!

In the meantime, I now have this:
63011793205__6BFE344D-9743-4A2A-B2C6-BF03B0454900 copy.jpg
All I need now is one of these:
Untitled.jpg
worf liked this
By worf
Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pm Have you considered zeroing out the WOT fuel compensation map instead of making physical modifications?
At this point I have considered nothing except for the quick answer above. As I've gone through this over the last several weeks associated memory 12-years buried has been slowly surfacing.

Last decade there was a reason to withdraw the WOT pin to the LH and put another signal in its place. A byproduct was forgetting about the WOT fuel trim map completely. Thus no consideration of it.

Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pm You can also configure the ignition parameters to ignore the WOT switch and always use the cruise map.
I seem to recall that that feature has been around for a while and that I made use of it last decade. In this case, with the stock intake, there should be little reason to mess with timing. But, we'll see.

Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pmDoes your SharkTuner hardware not have additional inputs? If it does, you could wire in the boost sensor and have it all in one log.
As per above, repeated below:

worf wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:32 pm So... when it's back I will adjust my software to accept the input from the electronic boost sender and do some logging.
I assumed it was implicit that boost logging would be done via Aux input to the Shark Tuner. My software though, will need to be updated for boost logging. My twin-screw has a 'different paradigm' for logging boost.

Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pm My cold weather warmup compensation tuning took two sessions. One to make adjustments as it warmed up. And a second to confirm, that the settings produced the AFR's that I wanted.
Sessions? Or seasons (two X four changes thereof?) I left my '91 out in the bitter cold to make sure it would start at 0°F and in the melting sun at 100°F. It took two winters to call it good enough.

First on the list will be making sure that fuel map hits the targets I want and that there is zero knock. That should be straight forward after I remember how to use my software and assuming it still works without major effort in Windoze 10. Three or four logging/adjustment runs should do it. After that it's a question of how far my client wants to go and my bet is he'll be happy at that point. I have zero desire to do the "product development" for this kit especially since it still has one non-trivial design flaw that is uncorrected.
Shifted wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pm I'm sure that your customer is very happy with what you've done so far, and will be even more ecstatic when you're able to do more tuning in the warmer weather.
He's happy enough that it will start, idle on its own, and not sound and shake like a dragster.

Until now, I didn't think a 928 could even run with an AFR of 20-ish. But, it will. And it did. Sorta.

But, 14.7:1 FTW out of boost.

Mandatory picture. This is insufficient crank case breathing for a normally aspirated 928 and about 1/5 of what you need for a boosted 928. (No. Seriously. That ONE hose *was* the only breather.)

By Sazerac
KEEPING THE ABOVE THEMES OF : art photography and localities

I don't have much in the way of art photography with 928s. This goes in the general direction only, the material is all there but the art is missing:
Rollei Retro 80s
21mm Focal Length
Developed in Acurol-N
worf liked this
By worf
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am I would be surprised if you don't have to make timing adjustments on a motor with any significant level of forced induction. Especially one without an intercooler. Unless, it's already been tuned to eliminate knocks?
My assumption is that the original EZK tune by the vendor/installer is close. I have the maps saved, but since the ST has no "off-line" mode it's not worth it just this minute to compare them to a stock EZK map.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 amYou've mentioned your personally written software several times. So, please elaborate. What language is it written in? What does it actually do, specifically? How does it interface with the SharkTuner hardware (or, does it just process SharkTuner logs)?
I probably emphasized that too much. LoL. What it does is eat a SharkTuner log file parse out the data into LH and EZK cells. For each cell it displays a histogram of A/F ratio along with some useful parameters which are... from memory: WOT/cruise/idle, current trim value, last trim value, sample count, knock count,... a couple of others. I haven't even started it up in years. It also shows 3d surface graphs of the maps, diffs between maps.

I just fired it up. It still works. Miraculous. Although, staring at it, I don't remember half of what the crypic glyphs are telling me. It's a paragon of something written by the user for the user and no one else. Lol.

Come Spring it's probably a good excuse to kick the tires on Coreman's Shark Plotter.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am That's really interesting that it took so long to dial in your car. That's not been my experience on my car for any aspects of tuning, but maybe I just got lucky.
It's not like I went out every day to tweak start, warm-up, and warm start. It didn't take that many iterations. But, I can't control the outside temperature. Furthmore, unlike my software, the tuning needed to be good for everybody and not just me. So, I wanted to be totally certain that it started in all weather. I was done by Summer but had to wait for the following winter to be sure.

There are also characteristics of the D.R. twin-screw that complicate tuning. Long story. Not important anymore.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am I assume that the car is already tuned for the supercharger and you're just going to confirm that it runs ok and make a few minor changes as needed?
I assume that it started with maps from the vendor/installer that were (as I wrote above) adjusted for a 928 with a mass-air sensor on the way out, IMS bypassed due to bad plug wires (i.e. tuned when misfiring) and, apparently, tuned using the simulated NB output from an LSU 4.2 and LC-1 since there was zero accommodation for getting a WB signal into the Shark Tuner.

Oh, and I forgot, the LH is showing early signs of failure.

I assume that only the fuel map was tweaked under those conditions.

However, since I've never tuned a boosted 928 with a bad mass-air sensor, that was mis-firing due to bad plug wires while running on a failing LH... I'm going to not make predictions on how far off it is. And, thinking about it again, predicting only a couple of logging/tuning runs may be optimistic.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am That's a bit scary when you consider what must be happening internally as a result.
Understatement.

The disconnected y-hose (see picture way above) was essentially an always-on bypass valve. Of course since the BOV vacuum was hooked to the other end of the y-hose, the BOV wasn't working though. I did test the BOV before putting it back on. Seems to work.

Not sure why it wasn't popping seals or the MAS off all over the place. It sure was puking oil though. 'course there's more to that story than just the SC.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am What crank case and valve cover breathing configuration did you do on the car?
It's breathing now, from both right-side cam cover elbows, the filler neck right-side top port (GTS neck), front left cam cover elbow. So, four ~5/8" lines. Twice the N.A. breather capacity. I expect further development of the 'system' once I am able to do some testing in the Spring.

This one is going to get flat-bedded home since all the roads have been salted. So, no testing at all can happen until Spring.
Shifted wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am Who designed and sold the supercharger kit?
VCB. Also installed by Victor. Then later stuff was done to it by someone else, likely in an attempt to 'fix' it without doing any diagnosis. It's not clear to me that the breather configuration it had when Victor finished is the same as when it was dragged to me. The pictures I have of the as-installed configuration are inconclusive.

The work I did on this is probably worthy of its own thread. It's a paragon of "novice" product management coupled with "expedient" repairs interacting with power add-ons and how it all goes sideways eventually. However, if I do "pull back all of the curtain" there's going to be a lot of noise from the shattering of several glass houses. I don't know that there's an upside for that. And, I'm under no illusion that I might find glass in my house where I didn't expect it.

928 picture: Nobody ever cleans and re-oils these damn things.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
I'm really liking how my S4 looks without the wing - nice balance between newer and old school. Also pleased with my stone façade job.

ladybug83 liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Thanks - it's cast concrete, but very convincing. M-Rock https://m-rockstone.com/ ordered it thru Lowes.

By worf
By SeanR
Shifted wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 am Sean, did he ever finish that turbo? The last I heard he had ordered a SuperMAF. He shared some of his tuning details and his best dyno graph with me and it was....interesting.
Yep, it was all finished and done then got the call that the scary part of tuning was finished and he was in the process of tuning for cruise and boom, he thought a head gasket let go. Went over to the shop and took the head off the passenger side and apparently I missed a chip in the used engine I rebuilt from Mark. Cylinder #4 had a nick and it caused #4 to split. So I'm in the process of building engine number 3 for this car. First one was thrust bearing failure and debris ingestion, 2nd was the cracked cylinder. #3 will be the good one.
image.png

Hearing things like this make me really glad I wen[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]