8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By SeanR
'88 in for a quick rear wheel bearing change. Guy is going on a trip Friday so I told him to get it here this morning so he'd be back on the road by tomorrow. Few hours later he's out and happy.

By worf
How to make sure your replacement coil final stage amplifiers fail, simultaneously, after a few years: don't scrape off the old, dried-up, 25+ year-old heat sink paste and be really stingy and haphazard with new paste (or whatever the white shit below is...)

No, not me: a client's dead amps.

One of my preventative maintenance items is to renew the heat sink paste every decade to a decade and a half.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Charlie
IMG_1347.JPG
First new carpet installed. Believe it or not, that carpet is the correct OEM color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By ladybug83
I believe it. Pastel grey sliverknit?

By Charlie
@ladybug83 Edited: Yes, you're right that is Pastel Grey from the aftermarket vendor. It is the exact color of Porsche Light Grey, AKA Raspberry, sliverknit. Common in Porsches but nowhere else. Near as I can tell it comes from the factory a little dirty and gets worse hourly.

BTW I have followed your interior work on RL and it provided great inspiration for my voracious DIY mania. Thanks!
By Redgt
Summit Point ...Frenzy 2014
Last edited by Redgt on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shifted liked this
By Redgt
Porsche 928 “pit” at Pittsburg Vintage GP 2017
By SeanR
Had a cancellation and got to spend the day on my car. Poor thing has had no attention in months. It's damn embarrassing to open the hood and see this. Did get the ABS harness replaced. Rebuilt axles from Mark, flex plate check and an oil change.

By Crumpler
SeanR wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:13 pm Had a cancellation and got to spend the day on my car. Poor thing has had no attention in months. It's damn embarrassing to open the hood and see this. Did get the ABS harness replaced. Rebuilt axles from Mark, flex plate check and an oil change.

Hey, that’s the first time I’ve seen the SC set up.
Looks great.
So is that a barrel intercooler on the the passenger side?
And I’m assuming that’s a BOV under the cross brace, for compressor surge?
By Majestic Moose
Frenzy.
2E8C729E-C1AE-4F86-8875-3E8DB0D53EA7.jpeg
By Crumpler
Here’s DE these days:

2020 911....1986 928.....2020 911

Notice who brings tools and who brings detail spray?

Shifted liked this
By worf
Look what the cat dragged in: The zyclamrot S4. Old timers on tOS should recognize it.

@SeanR buddy... stand by for a PM.
By worf
Oil is not a good conductor of electricity. Or, perhaps, it's way, way too good. Either way, this won't work very well:
By SeanR
Shifted wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:07 pm Where did they come from?
Roger is having them made by the same guy who makes the silicone gaskets.
image.png
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Porsche Picnic

By WyattsRide
SeanR liked this
By SeanR
Who knew that this piece was $260.00 new.

Don't throw these away when you convert to 8" lights.
image.png
By worf
Fuck me, gently, with a chain saw.
By worf
SeanR wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:32 am What have you found out so far?
So, when you posted that my response at the time would have been: effing no. But, I do have a list of stuff that isn't the problem(s). As of last night, I was confident that I'd found at least one of the problems. But I wasn't about to jinx it. Today's cold-start and warm-up test indicates that I was correct and also enabled the identification of a secondary issue that wasn't obvious until the motor didn't run like dog poop.

The O'scope was helpful in pointing a finger at the plug wires which LOOKed brand new but were dead. They were not replaced during the restoration along with the other obvious culprits shown below. (Not plugs, those came out due to the leaking cam cover seals.)
By ALKada
Damnit Sterling that looks so nice it looks like it would be stock on a 2020 928.
maddog2020 liked this
By jej3
I miss the open road...Freedom is all that matters!
image.png
amdavid, chalkboss liked this
By Fox_
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:48 pm Passenger coils and injectors wired.
I was watching a video on COP & Coil Near Plug setups and wondered in the 928 could be adapted.

Question answered.
By maddog2020
Fox_ wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 pm
I was watching a video on COP & Coil Near Plug setups and wondered in the 928 could be adapted.

Question answered.
I'm not the 1st, Louie Ott did a Coil Near Plug, and I followed Hans's recommendation. I'm not sure how much if any performance improvements will be the result.
By Fox_
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Question answered.
I'm not the 1st, Louie Ott did a Coil Near Plug, and I followed Hans's recommendation. I'm not sure how much if any performance improvements will be the result.
I'm less concerned with the performance and more interested in getting rid of distributors & long sparkplug cables.
By maddog2020
Fox_ wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 pm
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Question answered.
I'm less concerned with the performance and more interested in getting rid of distributors & long sparkplug cables.
That was my original reason, and then when I decided to make it flex fuel, I wanted more control over the ignition timing for performance reasons.
By Redgt
By linderpat
Nice swag Bob! I have a plastic model waiting to be assembled too. This winter perhaps. Need to work on a 928, but my real ones always have something that needs to be done, so little time for the model ones.
By ladybug83
Shifted, amdavid liked this
By Landseer
Nice setup. Ladybug!

These have sat in a tube for years. Hung a few pertinent ones in garage. Real convenient!
Shifted, ladybug83 liked this
By maddog2020
Landseer wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 am Nice setup. Ladybug!

These have sat in a tube for years. Hung a few pertinent ones in garage. Real convenient!
how and where did you have these printed?
By Landseer
how and where did you have these printed?

A friend gave me the car and the e sized prints came with it. I think he had an engineer where he worked print them from the Morehouse CDs, which also came with the car.

The right early version of pdf software gives you un fettered access to annotate and also print them. They worked in the RV industry, rudimentary technology, still operating from prints.
Shifted liked this
By Landseer
Thanks brother Shifted!.

It's the one 928 that never got my full sorting treatment until now. Slowly but steadily am sorting the various electrical features.

Am enjoying all your posts on turbo and the general stuff. You and Dwayne are cut from similar cloth. Extremely good teschers.

Brown car is kinda cool, but the zyrc car and ladybugs car are incredible colors.....

Ladybug is that petrol blue? Would like more pics!
Shifted liked this
Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]