General discussions related to cars and driving
By fpena944
Not going to judge anything other than speed here. The Tesla Model S Plaid in this video accomplishes a feat that I didn't think was possible.

Granted the M5 here is a few years old but still it is beyond belief that even with the head start given it still loses to the Tesla...wow!!!

By tooloud10
Some of the Tesla specs are so crazy that I think it pisses off OG car guys--it's just 'too easy' to crack off two second 0-60 runs like that.

And they're growing on me. SO has been talking about a Model Y Performance, and considering the experiences I've had trying to buy other cars over the last 18 months, it's starting to appeal to me. I can click a button and have the exact car she wants delivered to my driveway in June.

Why can't Ford or Porsche do that?
By fpena944
tooloud10 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:40 pm Some of the Tesla specs are so crazy that I think it pisses off OG car guys--it's just 'too easy' to crack off two second 0-60 runs like that.

And they're growing on me. SO has been talking about a Model Y Performance, and considering the experiences I've had trying to buy other cars over the last 18 months, it's starting to appeal to me. I can click a button and have the exact car she wants delivered to my driveway in June.

Why can't Ford or Porsche do that?
I love technology so by virtue of that fact I really like what Tesla and other electric car companies are doing in terms of pushing the envelope with performance. I mean it's basically a given now that even a basic Model 3 is going to beat almost everything other than an exotic hypercar. Really crazy considering when I was growing up a Mustang GT with 215 horsepower was considered quick and a 5 second 0-60 time was just blazing down the road!

Now what I don't like are the fanatics and politicians who believe electric is the only choice. I do believe in many cases electric is the answer - especially considering how for most people a car is an appliance. With that use case then it makes sense. But we really should have a choice and let the market speak.

But with that, I am surprised Tesla isn't running into supply chain issues themselves. Any idea why that is? Did they just stockpile everything and therefore have inventory while other companies used the "just in time" method of manufacturing?
By Airkuhl
It's no secret that I owned (technically leased) basically that same Tesla for 3 years and ~40K miles. Like any car, it has its pros and cons. The build quality is Ford, not Ferrari. Some of the interior components felt cheap, although I hear the new interiors are way better. Of note, I had more flat tires in 3 years in that car than all my other cars combined the past 20 years, which is weird. I'm guessing the weight plus the soft rubber (Pilot Super Sports) made it pick up debris more than most cars.

But I loved driving it.
That acceleration NEVER gets old.
It handled very well for a heavy sedan, lots of rubber on the road, very low CG, active suspension that kept body roll minimal.
It unlocked when I got close and locked when I left, no key required.
Automatically knew to open the garage door when I got home, automatically knew to raise the ride height on dirt roads and lower on a highway.
Ther self-driving was generally OK but really nice when in stop and go traffic.
It makes fart noises for turn signals.

Range anxiety is apparently a thing felt by people that don't own one, I never did. In fact it was the opposite, I started thinking how weird it was for my gas cars not to be full every morning.

I don't know if I'll get another Model S, up here my Raptor and Cayenne are better year-round daily drivers. But I might get a Cybertruck to replace it, or I might get the new Roadster if/when it ever comes out.
By AKSteve
I was tempted by the performance of the Model S Plaid. But unless they offer it with a round, conventional steering wheel, the "yoke" steering wheel is a deal-breaker for me. And don't tell me I'll get used to it. I don't want to get used to this thing:

By JDS968
amdavid wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:08 pm
JDS968 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:14 pm E39 M5s are still sooooo pretty...

Also, weird how tiny the E39 looks sitting next to current production sedans.

Pics or this post is "invalid". :evilgrin:
I figured the above video validated both statements.

You want me to go Google E39 M5 images?
By amdavid
JDS968 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 pm
JDS968 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:14 pm E39 M5s are still sooooo pretty...

Also, weird how tiny the E39 looks sitting next to current production sedans.

Yeah you’re right, I can “see” what you meant…the E36 does look small.
Last edited by amdavid on Thu May 05, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:32 am
JDS968 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 pm

Yeah you’re right, I can “see” what you meant…the E36 does small.
Here is an M2 - which is BMW's smallest car, next to an E39 which used to be BMW's mid-sized car...nuts!
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdavid liked this
By JDS968
Sometimes I really want an E28 M5, but of course it would have to be a Euro model with the M88/3, not the stupid S38B35.

Or since I don't care about numbers matching, what I'd REALLY love would be a regular American market E28 M5 with an S38B38 swap...
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]