8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By MAL
Risky Business or Deceptive Business?

It will be interesting to find out if the new owner will be able to insure this vehicle for the 2 million they paid for it. I suspect the insurance company will do their due diligence beforehand, and find out some glaring misrepresentations about this sale/auction.

There was always something about how Barrett-Jackson was promoting this car that bothered me; I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Their assertion that this vehicle was THE ‘Risky Business’ movie vehicle left me wondering: “How do they know for sure?” No proof was offered. A picture of Tom Cruise & a ‘Risky Business’ movie poster was apparently all that was required to convince people that what was claimed, was in fact true.
No one asked: "Where's the cogent evidence?"

I won't go as far as calling this a scam, but there was distinct deception at play, in my humble opinion.

The hammer drops on September 18, 2021 at a final bid of U$1,800,000.00. Added to that a 10% buyers’ fee, and the car’s total sale price is U$1,980,000.00.
2 million for a car that’s arguably worth around $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 if it didn’t have this claimed connection to the cult classic 1983 movie. The car now has 102,755 miles on the clock which is conveniently omitted during the auction or from pre-auction advertising. The car had been repainted at least 3 times. Once for the movie, once after production, and once more to bring it back to look like it did in the movie.

The sales description reads: “This 928 has resided in a climate-controlled environment in a private collection, where it has been meticulously cared for.” Whereas this statement is likely true for the 42-year old car’s recent few years of existence, for most of its life it was driven by persons who had no idea that it was a car used in the movie ‘Risky Business’. It racked up some ~100,000 miles after production, and is eventually found by filmmaker Lewis Johnsen parked outside someone’s house. Not in running condition. Completely neglected.

The sales blurb also states: “Multiple 928s were used during the production of the film, but this car was the featured vehicle, and received the brunt of screen time and seat time from the cast. It is one of three cars driven on set, and one of two cars used during the film's signature chase scene that culminated in Tom Cruise, looking straight into the camera, declaring the German carmaker's slogan, "Porsche. There is no substitute."

This is where it gets interesting. The car that sold for 2 million is a 1979 manual transmission Porsche 928. Barrett-Jackson’s claim is clear: “...this car was the featured vehicle, and received the brunt of screen time and seat time from the cast…”.

However, the article by Greg Hudock published in “Excellence” (an independent Porsche magazine) from August 4, 2007 tells a somewhat different story.
That article states that a total of four Porsche 928 cars were used during the movie’s production. 2 more were used in post-production. The cars are from various years ranging from 1978 or 1979 to 1981, some with an automatic transmission, some with a manual transmission: “...cars present a mix of years, wheels, transmissions, and original colors“.

Most significantly: “...the primary 928 used for filming in real life was a Platinum Metallic 1981 928, but with an automatic transmission, flat-face 15-inch “Phone-Dial” wheels, a brown dash, gold seats, and a non-reflective prop Illinois license plate, number N2Z 264.”

The article continues: ”...the primary 1981 automatic driver, #WP0JA0921BS820312, had indeed been sold to an unknowing foreign buyer. It had been shipped out of the country in 1984, as Johnsen had initially speculated. Since finding the ’81 “primary driver” was no longer plausible, Johnsen’s only other option was to find car number two — the 1979 five-speed “fill car,”

Lewis Johnson manages to track down the 1979 manual transmission 928 and buys it from the unsuspecting owner for market value. It is this 1979 car that just sold for 2 million.
According to the Excellence article, “The second of two 928s used for driving scenes was a 1979 928 with a five-speed manual transmission, 16-inch alloy wheels, and an all-gold interior” and “Used for just three days of filming, the ’79 car can be seen primarily in driving scenes with wide shots where the whole car is in view, as well as in portions of the chase scene. It was dubbed the “fill car” because it was used to fill in the gaps in the driving scenes during the editing process”.

At least Barrett-Jackson’s claim that Tom Cruise learned to drive a stick-shift on this 1979 928 appears to be true: “Avnet [the movie’s producer] claims to have taught Tom Cruise how to drive a stick-shift in this car.”
Their description of: “one of two cars used during the film's signature chase scene that culminated in Tom Cruise, looking straight into the camera, declaring the German carmaker's slogan, "Porsche. There is no substitute." is rather misleading though.
They are not actually claiming that the ‘79 car IS the one that Tom Cruise was sitting in when saying those lines, just that it is “one of two cars used”. Sneaky.
From what we now know, it is quite likely not the car used in that scene.

This, of course, makes one wonder what the owner of the 1981 928 with VIN #WP0JA0921BS820312 is thinking right about now?

Article referenced:
https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/1 ... for-rb-928

Auction referenced:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/ ... CAR-249506
By fpena944
MAL wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 am Risky Business or Deceptive Business?

It will be interesting to find out if the new owner will be able to insure this vehicle for the 2 million they paid for it. I suspect the insurance company will do their due diligence beforehand, and find out some glaring misrepresentations about this sale/auction.

There was always something about how Barrett-Jackson was promoting this car that bothered me; I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Their assertion that this vehicle was THE ‘Risky Business’ movie vehicle left me wondering: “How do they know for sure?” No proof was offered. A picture of Tom Cruise & a ‘Risky Business’ movie poster was apparently all that was required to convince people that what was claimed, was in fact true.
No one asked: "Where's the cogent evidence?"

I won't go as far as calling this a scam, but there was distinct deception at play, in my humble opinion.

The hammer drops on September 18, 2021 at a final bid of U$1,800,000.00. Added to that a 10% buyers’ fee, and the car’s total sale price is U$1,980,000.00.
2 million for a car that’s arguably worth around $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 if it didn’t have this claimed connection to the cult classic 1983 movie. The car now has 102,755 miles on the clock which is conveniently omitted during the auction or from pre-auction advertising. The car had been repainted at least 3 times. Once for the movie, once after production, and once more to bring it back to look like it did in the movie.

The sales description reads: “This 928 has resided in a climate-controlled environment in a private collection, where it has been meticulously cared for.” Whereas this statement is likely true for the 42-year old car’s recent few years of existence, for most of its life it was driven by persons who had no idea that it was a car used in the movie ‘Risky Business’. It racked up some ~100,000 miles after production, and is eventually found by filmmaker Lewis Johnsen parked outside someone’s house. Not in running condition. Completely neglected.

The sales blurb also states: “Multiple 928s were used during the production of the film, but this car was the featured vehicle, and received the brunt of screen time and seat time from the cast. It is one of three cars driven on set, and one of two cars used during the film's signature chase scene that culminated in Tom Cruise, looking straight into the camera, declaring the German carmaker's slogan, "Porsche. There is no substitute."

This is where it gets interesting. The car that sold for 2 million is a 1979 manual transmission Porsche 928. Barrett-Jackson’s claim is clear: “...this car was the featured vehicle, and received the brunt of screen time and seat time from the cast…”.

However, the article by Greg Hudock published in “Excellence” (an independent Porsche magazine) from August 4, 2007 tells a somewhat different story.
That article states that a total of four Porsche 928 cars were used during the movie’s production. 2 more were used in post-production. The cars are from various years ranging from 1978 or 1979 to 1981, some with an automatic transmission, some with a manual transmission: “...cars present a mix of years, wheels, transmissions, and original colors“.

Most significantly: “...the primary 928 used for filming in real life was a Platinum Metallic 1981 928, but with an automatic transmission, flat-face 15-inch “Phone-Dial” wheels, a brown dash, gold seats, and a non-reflective prop Illinois license plate, number N2Z 264.”

The article continues: ”...the primary 1981 automatic driver, #WP0JA0921BS820312, had indeed been sold to an unknowing foreign buyer. It had been shipped out of the country in 1984, as Johnsen had initially speculated. Since finding the ’81 “primary driver” was no longer plausible, Johnsen’s only other option was to find car number two — the 1979 five-speed “fill car,”

Lewis Johnson manages to track down the 1979 manual transmission 928 and buys it from the unsuspecting owner for market value. It is this 1979 car that just sold for 2 million.
According to the Excellence article, “The second of two 928s used for driving scenes was a 1979 928 with a five-speed manual transmission, 16-inch alloy wheels, and an all-gold interior” and “Used for just three days of filming, the ’79 car can be seen primarily in driving scenes with wide shots where the whole car is in view, as well as in portions of the chase scene. It was dubbed the “fill car” because it was used to fill in the gaps in the driving scenes during the editing process”.

At least Barrett-Jackson’s claim that Tom Cruise learned to drive a stick-shift on this 1979 928 appears to be true: “Avnet [the movie’s producer] claims to have taught Tom Cruise how to drive a stick-shift in this car.”
Their description of: “one of two cars used during the film's signature chase scene that culminated in Tom Cruise, looking straight into the camera, declaring the German carmaker's slogan, "Porsche. There is no substitute." is rather misleading though.
They are not actually claiming that the ‘79 car IS the one that Tom Cruise was sitting in when saying those lines, just that it is “one of two cars used”. Sneaky.
From what we now know, it is quite likely not the car used in that scene.

This, of course, makes one wonder what the owner of the 1981 928 with VIN #WP0JA0921BS820312 is thinking right about now?

Article referenced:
https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/1 ... for-rb-928

Auction referenced:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/ ... CAR-249506
Either this buyer did their due diligence and decided the facts lined up enough for them to be comfortable with the purchase or they are just so flush with cash they really didn't care.

In any case hopefully it rises the tide of the pool of all other 928s in existence.

Hmm, I need to see if any of my cars ever appeared in a movie so I can cash in as well. :beerchug:
By NCporsche
As to the insurability issue. Haggerty offered to insure the 944 for $15k. If I wanted to pay the premium they would insure it. Shoot, at $15k, I was tempted to park it in dark town with the keys in it.

If I had a rock and wanted to insure it for $2M some one would likely insure it if I wanted to pay the premium. Thus, $2M on this car, sure, if you want to pay the premium.
By David993S
There are times when I'm skeptical about the selling price at auctions. There have been instances at both B-J and Mecum where a selling price turned out to be not real and just for "show". Regardless, if the bid was real, I hope the new owner is happy with his $2M movie car.
By worf
First Enzo sold on the openroad 928 forum.
linderpat liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]