8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ChrisZ
So 3 years ago I was at SITM and made a very stupid mistake: I applied some Adams Polish "Paint Sealant" to my car's driver's door as a test. Bottom half of the door. Good thing I only did that because it turned into a whitish haze that would never come off. Polishing, waxing, even some compounding did nothing and my car had a milky white ghost on the door.

I was going to have it stripped and painted this summer (couple of K) but decided this weekend "What the hell" and went after it with gusto.

First I washed the door. Then while wet I put a 1000 grit sandpaper on a block and ran it across the paint with almost no pressure. Felt like a plane and as I wet the door to keep the block moving I saw white milk coming off the door in droves. After 2 passes I switched to 2000 grit. More white stuff trickled off. Went to 2500 grit and saw a bit of blue after 2 passes.

Door looked terrible, glazed and sad.

Then switched to compounding with my rotary buffer. One pass doing circles, not much pressure. Then washed it off, then another pass. Then washed off the door again. Hazy but better.

Then switched to polish. 2 passes again, wet, dried it with a soft towel. Door looked pretty good!

Then switched to carnuba wax, one coat, dried to a haze, buffed it off. Door looks pretty darn good!

It's not perfect of course and I have to let it dry to see if the haze is finally off but I might have gotten that crap off the car without destroying the clearcoat. Will find out, but to be honest I really had nothing to lose.

So I used sandpaper on my car's paint. First time for everything....
By Bertrand Daoust
It's strange that you had problem with the sealant.
I used that same product on my car few times without any trouble.
Any pics?
BTW, I use Adams poducts quite alot.
Love them!
By ChrisZ
Well, here is a picture where if you zoom in you can see it. Look on the driver's door, below the trim line (another smaller issue) and you can see two white areas one on the front of the door one on the back under the jam. That's not light or ghosts and it looked bad in light.

https://i.imgur.com/zB5xuNN.jpg

I'll take a picture of the after later today.
By ChrisZ
Ok, here are pictures of the after.
Good picture from the rear.

Front. If you look above the chip on the paint at the front of the door you can see a little of the white still right up next to the trim glue. I'll get that another time.

Really close up of the remaining white bit. Imagine the bottom of the door looking like that. Ug.

Still don't know why it happened, almost as if the sealant dried and caught something in it or something. Regardless I'm not using it again till I figure out what happened.....
By WyattsRide
Bertrand Daoust wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 pm It's strange that you had problem with the sealant.
I used that same product on my car few times without any trouble.
Any pics?
BTW, I use Adams poducts quite alot.
Love them!
Yes, I'm surprised also with the OP's results of using the sealant. I use a lot of Adam's products also and have always had great results.

I would like to see a picture of the Adam's bottle for the exact product.

BTW ChrisZ, good job on the paint correction. Love the color of your S3! Now get that rub strip back on. :wink:
By ChrisZ
Need to *find* a rub strip of that size. I don't think it's OEM, but I really like the smaller size of it as opposed to the big ones on later cars. Maybe I can 3d print one.......

I'll bring the sealant stuff to Frenzy, I have no idea why it went foom like this, but worse things have happened. Now I'm looking at the passenger rear panel where there are some scratches and thinking "hm....."
By checkmate1996
I am presuming this is not original paint due to the different rub strips, correct?
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenad[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]