8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Stepson
I had new covers made for the seats in my 89 S4. The new covers were sent to me and I had a local upholsterer install the new covers on the seats. Although the local upholsterer came recommended, I wasn't especially happy with the job they did.
For one thing, they broke one of the seat wiring harness connectors. If wasn't bad enough, they also broke one of the seat switches and attempted to cover up the damage by gluing the switch back together.

In attempting to rectify my misfortune with these bozos, I bought a new seat harness to replace the one with the broken connector, and I bought a new seat switch. Upon installing the new hardware, the seat will not recline. Checking the specific seat motor function with 12 volts directly to the connector for that seat motor, the seat reclines perfectly.

So apparently the issue involves the new harness and/or the new switch.

I am not an electrician nor have I ever played one on TV, but I can follow directions (somewhat, according to Rhonda, which is probably true)

Can someone look at their 1989 seat wiring diagram and direct me as to which harness terminals should have what color wires and how the seat switch connects to the seat motor that controls the recline feature? Greatly appreciate it!
By worf
Seat/Mirror Memory or not?
By linderpat
Following. I tried to fix a similar problem with no luck
By Stepson
worf wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 pm Seat/Mirror Memory or not?
Yes sir. Memory seats and mirrors.

I have a idea that the power harness with the broken connector that I replaced that is supposed to supply power from the body to the seat switches, etc is not. Like maybe the pins in the connector are not in the position?
By worf
Stepson wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:15 am I have a idea that the power harness with the broken connector that I replaced that is supposed to supply power from the body to the seat switches, etc is not. Like maybe the pins in the connector are not in the position?
You refer to the 14-pin connector that must be disconnected when you remove the seat? Yes?
By Stepson
Yes. The original connector was destroyed so I got a new cable/harness that should have plugged right in. But I have nothing to compare it to.

I believe that I got the seat switch replaced correctly. I think I replaced the connectors (old to new) one by one to avoid problems. At least I think that's the way I did it. I have CRS so I can't be sure :)
By worf
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I kept forgetting to get my WSM diagrams and my work PC colocated until this morning.

You didn't mention if it is the driver's side or passenger's side. I'm not *sure* that it makes a difference. But, I'm not sure that it doesn't.

These are for the driver-side main connector at the floorboard - the "T20" Connector. Wire color and dimensions on both sides of connector are the same unless shown otherwise below.

For striped wires the first color is the "main" color and the second is the color of the thin stripe. This is important because you have Red/White and White/Red.

Sorry for the formatting, the table feature doesn't seem to work and extra white space is consumed.

Diameter, Chassis Harness Color, Pin Number, Seat Harness Color
2.5 Brown 1
2.5 Red/Yellow 2 2.5 Red
0.5 Black/Blue 3
1.0 Black 4
0.5 White/Red 5
0.5 White/Blue 6
0.5 White/Yellow 7
0.5 White/Black 8
0.5 White 9
0.5 White/Green 10
0.75 Brown/Black 11
1.5 Brown 12
N/C 13
1.5 Red/White 14
By worf
'89 diagrams are now 'in the office' so, response time for additional questions should be less than days...
By worf
Note that it can be really hard to tell the difference between white and yellow wires and stripes after all these years.
By Stepson
I will get in the garage after I get home from work and see if I can make head from tails.

BTW, It is a passenger seat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]