Watercooled 911s
By JBRob007
O.K. I've gone and done it... I've crossed over to The Dark Side! I pulled the trigger on the 2000 996 Cab with Tiptronic I was drooling over... :eyepop:

I'm officially a member of two Porsche camps... the 928 and 996. Both considered by "the elite" as the marque's Red-Headed Step Children so I remain a complete outsider at most PCA events :hiding: Which is kind of a bonus!

She's covered in Paladio Metallic (a.k.a. Mirage Metallic) a relatively uncommon color with black leather interior and very nicely optioned inside and out. A few pieces of carbon fiber, 3 spoke wheel, painted center console, wind break, white faced instrument cluster, sheepskin seat covers & Porsche Nav in the interior. On the outside, we have Speedline 3-part 18" wheels, TechArt lowering springs and body color matching front bra and mirror bras and of course a TechArt body color rear whale tail spoiler. You guys know how much I like big butts... I mean spoilers! The color, spoiler and wheel combination reminds me a LOT of my 928 with the 18" RH 3 part wheels and bodacious spoiler (sitting behind the 996 in one of the pictures). It's like having a little brother in the driveway.

The 996 had 32,300 miles on the odometer on Friday. 42 hours later (with no sleep) it had 33,200 and change when I parked it... I can't seem to get my butt OUT of the car - it accelerates sooooooo smooooooothly to an insane speed and brakes and handles like nobody's business. What an exceptional sports car (even in a Cab with an auto/Tip). Actually, I kinda like the Tiptronic as it's very versatile and I don't HAVE to shift if I'm feeling lazy in traffic. The TechArt whale tail just goes so well with the Cab... really sets the car apart. No V8 rumble and it's not NASCAR loud (which is a departure for me) but the 3.4 liter flat 6 has it's own signature sound above 4,000 rpms and screams at 6,000. O.K. I'll shut up now... Here are some pics:
911 Gold.jpg
911 Gold III.JPG
911 Gold II.jpg
911 Gold I.GIF
911 Gauge Cluster Gold.jpg
Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeanR, amdavid liked this
By worf
That GT3 tramp stamp’s gotta go.

But, otherwise :bigok:
amdavid, linderpat, milrad liked this
By Gregs04.5
My 996 is the same color! And I had to pull off some GT3 badging as well.

Greg
By fpena944
Love it!

At first when I saw the picture I thought, "WTF is wrong with the front bumper?!?" But I noticed you had a protective bra on it :biggrin:

Yes the purists hate the 996 but I've had mine for 12 years and the love for it still runs strong. I put 800 miles on it the last 36 hours and it still puts a smile on my face.

Welcome!
By amdavid
Excellent....there really is no substitute for a 911...especially when you stomp on the brakes....that rear engine just snuggles into the rear wheels and brings the car to a halt rapidly.

Nice looking car, I do love the color. Agreed the GT3 badge needs to go.

Do you know if you ended up with a single or dual row IMS? The 2000 can have either, as I recall?..... :hiding:
By Scott at Team Harco
Looks nice. Welcome to the dark side. :beerchug:

I have similar thoughts on the red-headed step-child concept. I've had many 944s and they always got the, 'not a real Porsche' rap. Then I got my 996 and the same misconceptions follow it - though about 15 years further on.

As others have stated - the 'GT3' tag needs to go.
Last edited by Scott at Team Harco on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JBRob007
Yeah I know... Ya GT3 POSER!!! I haven't even washed it yet... It was that clean... much less taken a hair dryer to the GT3 badging. You know the previous owner paid good $$ to have that GT3 "option" applied on the wrong car. Thanks for the compliments... it truly was a helluva buy. Just couldn't pass on it.

IMSB replacement (LN Engineering Solution) scheduled (2 months out) along with the Ultimate Air Oil Separator (UAOS) replacement. I need to find the guys who make the UAOS and get written step by step instructions (or my guy won't touch the UAOS). I agreed with him on the UAOS as I don't want to pay an hourly rate while he learns how to install an aftermarket part. This 996 is going to throw me down a whole-nother car wrenching learning curve.
By fpena944
JBRob007 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:34 pm Yeah I know... Ya GT3 POSER!!! I haven't even washed it yet... It was that clean... much less taken a hair dryer to the GT3 badging. You know the previous owner paid good $$ to have that GT3 "option" applied on the wrong car. Thanks for the compliments... it truly was a helluva buy. Just couldn't pass on it.

IMSB replacement (LN Engineering Solution) scheduled (2 months out) along with the Ultimate Air Oil Separator (UAOS) replacement. I need to find the guys who make the UAOS and get written step by step instructions (or my guy won't touch the UAOS). I agreed with him on the UAOS as I don't want to pay an hourly rate while he learns how to install an aftermarket part. This 996 is going to throw me down a whole-nother car wrenching learning curve.
I have the contact for the UAOS if you need it. Let me know!
By Scott at Team Harco
I assume you will have the UAOS installed with the engine in the car. If not, it's a lot easier with the engine, at least, dropped a little. There is a thread here that documents my installation - though it was with the engine out.

https://openroad.site/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=614
By JBRob007
Please send me the contact information for UAOS.

I believe the engine & tranny have to come out on the auto / Tip cars, so yeah we’ll get it all done while we’re in there 👍
By Scott at Team Harco
JBRob007 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 pm Please send me the contact information for UAOS.

I believe the engine & tranny have to come out on the auto / Tip cars, so yeah we’ll get it all done while we’re in there 👍
https://ultimateaos.com/
By JBRob007
Got it! Thanks!! BTW, GT3 tramp stamp came off without too much trouble 😎
By linderpat
JBRob007 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 pm ...

nope - my 03 Boxster was a tip, and I had the bearing replaced. Just drop the tranny, no need to remove the engine. As to other things besides AOS, replace coolant overflow tank WYIAT, and check the harnesses in the back, especially the little pigtail from the starter - a known failure point.

I went to the "dark side" awhile back with my 997. I love both shark and 911, different tools for different things. I'll always be a 928 guy though - still one of the top most beautiful cars ever made.
By JBRob007
Thanks Ed ! Fortunately I still have the Hellbronze 928 so I get to pick & choose which one to drive. The choosing is the hard part - both wonderful cars and completely different. The 911 is soooo smooth & playful while the 928 is a rolling piece of art… with a German V8. Choosing is getting tough and it’s a nice problem to have.
By JBRob007
Ed,

Looks like the 911 will be under the knife for the IMSB, UAOS, etc, so Betsy will be joining me at Frenzy. She may be up for sale at that time… I’m weighing options.
By JBRob007
Oh yeah! Frenzy’s almost here!!!
By fpena944
JBRob007 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:25 pm Ed,

Looks like the 911 will be under the knife for the IMSB, UAOS, etc, so Betsy will be joining me at Frenzy. She may be up for sale at that time… I’m weighing options.
Replace your coolant tank and water pump while you're in there too. Huge pain when it's all put together again.
By JBRob007
IMSB Solution, UAOS, Seeping Automatic Transmission seals, Water pump and Coolant Tank…. Check! Thanks!!!
By JBRob007
In case you guys didn’t know, Roger Tyson at 928sRus is a Porsche parts supplier. He can get any P Car part you need and his customer service is THE BEST!! He backs his parts and is a joy to work with. He supplied my LN IMSB Solution kit (dual row) - has them in stock. Since my car is a 2000 MY it may need the single row (it’s a toss up), but he’ll exchange it if that’s the case - no worries. Like I said, great customer service 👍👍
SeanR, milrad liked this
By JBRob007
I ended up taking my 996 to an Indy Mechanic, Dan Crytzer of Deutsche RennSport (DRS) in Pittsburgh, PA. I know, long haul from Columbus, OH, but WELL WORTH the trek. Like a lot of 911s the car sat most of it's life as a garage queen with only 32K miles. While cosmetically perfect, as expected it was in need of a LOT of deferred maintenance and even more preventative mechanical work. I purchased the L&N IMSB Dual Row Solution (from Roger Tyson @ 928sRus) and the UAOS (from Skip) because they are "one & done" parts and I didn't want to ever have to do those again. Note to file: Most Porsche shops won't even consider installing "after market" parts and the search for a reputable mech who will can be difficult.

Dan didn't blink and said bring her in... He took on the job of dropping the engine & tranny as a unit to install the IMSB Solution & UAOS including a full Tip Automatic Transmission Service w/ New Seals, Water Pump, Porsche Coolant Res Tank, Spark Plugs & Tubes, Coils, both 1/2 Shafts Rebuilt, Electrical Harness Repair (Mice), New Oil Fill Tube and other plastic breather / crossover tubes that were crumbling over time, all fluids (of course) and a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting... the list was LONG and way over due. The car is now 100% mechanically and cosmetically :)

I met Dan at the 25th 928 Frenzy at the Dulles VA Holiday Inn in Sept and he'd just opened up his shop DRS in Pittsburgh PA. Great guy & great mechanic with great rates who will work with you to ensure your car gets what it NEEDS and doesn't try to "Up Sale" or talk you into crap you don't need. Most importantly his customer service is UNMATCHED... literally. I had an issue with the low coolant light flashing on the way home (which is wired into the UAOS). Dan dropped everything and DROVE to Columbus, OH, to ensure my car was in perfect order. It was, but Dan identified the UAOS harness had a fault (which Skip promptly sent me a new harness) - problem solved. Dan stuck around our shop and helped us with his high dollar bore scope to check out the cylinders of my 928 Euro engine that suffered a cam shaft failure. Again great customer service and the trip to / from Columbus was No Charge! Needless to say, I bought him dinner. Fantastic experience all the way around and I recommend Dan's shop VERY highly!

Joel
VP 928BuckeyeLandsharks
linderpat liked this
By JBRob007
I know how difficult it can be to find a good Indy Mech willing to take on something a little more complicated than a tune up & fluids change. Figured someone out there is having the same problems I was and Dan is a stand up guy.
amdavid liked this
Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]