8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By bizman928
Noting that there are several long posts on this subject of Delrin Steering Rack Bushes from the other site - we have been exiled from - which included some posts from many now over here on the Open Road. I thought I would share our ideas which drove me to come up with this new design.

My 928 S4 MY88 used to tramline like mad and I always wanted to upgrade to the Delrin type steering rack bush. However, after reading many articles on RL and the Jenkins site in NL I thought I would look to come up with a hybrid design taking on some of the constructive comments many had made.

- I was not happy with the fact that the Delrin only bushes were clamped up tight to fix them in place and knowing that Most plastics creep under load, thus allowing vertical movement of the rack. I didn't want my rack to become loose and float uncontrollably causing tramlining again. Putting me back to square 1 again.

- I wanted to comply with the original OEM design as closely as possible - just wanting to remove the oil attack on the rubber causing OEM failure

- I noted reports on ovality of the Delrin only bushes from various posts on RL which was a concern.

So we came up with a Stainless steel centre spigot which allowed the bush to be clamped up similar to the original OEM bush.
The Delrin bushes would be compressed slightly so as to restrict upward/vertical movement but not enough to cause creep and ultimate failure.
The Delrin bushes would give better longevity versus the original OEM rubber bushes under oil attack.

I appreciate these will not be to everyone's preference and all current version available, Delrin only, Solid Aluminium or OEM original all have their place and merits. I just wanted to share how we came about to this design which Woodypeck.com are now offering.

Welcome any discussion around any of these points. Just our take on the 928 Steering rack bush designs.

Last edited by bizman928 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel5691 liked this
By bizman928
If anyone is interested in how to remove the old rubber steering rack bushes then our partner Richard Armstrong of Ritech Ltd. fitted our POM-H Upgraded Steering Rack Bushes and made a video as he was installing them - check this out!

By potdog
These are over enginered and over priced ,saying that the hybrid design stops vertical movement . The Stainless steel insert only locks the rack same as Soild Aluminium will do the same as will Delrin have been used for may years thanks to Roger.
By bizman928
Potdog
Since you are a competitor on this site and sell against us on this site and others, it seems a little off that you choose to make comments about our parts - on this site and other forums.
You don't seem to understand the deign at all - so your comments are somewhat invalid. However, this is a community of 928 owners and we all support our cars and the suppliers who help us keep them on the road.

Since you only live 17 miles up the road from us in the UK and are a fellow TIPEC member, why don't you call in for a coffee and we will happily explain the difference in the design of our rack bushes and why we see them as being a benefit.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]