By NCporsche
This article was written prior to the Hagerty survey on preferred color.

Porsche insider color chart, Jan 2021
CEDEB789-8F39-4EA9-A87B-A1DB3AFAF4CD.png

Choosing a car color is a near universal experience—and a mundane one for most. More than three out of every four cars sold in North America last year were white, black, silver, or gray, according to chemical company BASF. Yet for those of us who see cars as part of our identity, paint color is something more. Drive a Hugger Orange Camaro, a Laguna Seca Blue BMW, or even a Dorado Brown Saab, and you’re saying something about yourself and your very particular taste.

We at Insider wondered something else: Does a car’s color impact its value? Of course, we’ve all seen the case studies—the station wagon that attracted extra bids because it wore just the right shade of brown. But does paint color impact color car values on a more widespread basis?

To find out, we examined 3500 sales at live auctions and online auction platforms such as Bring a Trailer, Cars & Bids, and PCARMARKET dating back to 2013. We focused on Porsche, a marque famous for letting its customers taste the rainbow. There are websites and events dedicated to the wide variety of shades that Porsche has painted its cars.

Our clear conclusion is color indeed correlates to differences in value.

The winner? Yellow. Porsches painted that color tended to sell for nearly $3000 more than average. There’s a caveat, though: Yellow Porsches also seem harder to sell than other colors, with a sell-through rate of 63.6 percent, compared to an average of 70.8 percent.

At the other end of the spectrum, black Porsches tended to earn $1385 below average, suggesting more than a few failed the “detailers final exam.” Another surprise: The so-called “safe” colors—white, black, and silver/gray—are at best mid-pack when it comes to sell-through rates and value. So, if that silver 997 really speaks to you, go for it, but don’t buy it because you expect a surer return on your investment.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-tr ... act-value/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
Bummer that my blue lowers resale value. I might be biased but I think it's the perfect Porsche color - not too flashy like yellow or red, but distinctive when compared to the greys and silvers out there. Oh well...haven't sold it after so many years so resale means nothing to me :biggrin:
By amdavid
Interesting. I would never buy a red or yellow Porsche, but that's just me. I like blues, and greens and I will pay a premium for them!
By Gary Knox
I've owned 6 black 928's over the past 23 years. When I sold the last one ('94 auto), I swore I'd never buy another black car. Since then I've bought 4 cars, all unique and rare colors for their production era. In each case, I limited my search for that Marque to a very low volume production color, and I probably paid a modest premium for all of them. All metallics. Most recent one was a Aventurine Green Porsche (which to my visual processing unit looks more blue than green).

Gary
By amdavid
Amazon Green, one of my favorite Porsche colors....next to a blue car the paint looked green, and next to a green car, the paint looked blue. Fantastic color.

I'll answer the OP question with a firm, YES.
By Sazerac
Thanks for posting that. I never would have guessed it. I would have thought that blue would have commanded more money and that all the common colors like red and white would have also been under valued. (With the exception of black, men seem to have something for black anything or so it seems to me.)

Finally, I personally buy classic cars based on condition. Given the same condition, I would go for a rarer or more interesting color. But, that's just me. I have 2 red 928s. The condition just said "buy" and prior to that I would never have imagined buying a red car...

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]