Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
Just saw this video and it really is amazing how substantial the differences are between these vehicles on the track.

So next time you think your street 911 is "basically the same as a GT3", think again!

Enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/festivalofspee ... 056110338/
Asquared, David993S liked this
By SeanR
When we (928 crowd) went to Atlanta for an event at PEC I was totally blown away by how capable the base 911 was on the track. Simply stunned. I have a hard time imagining how a ride in the Cup car would be. I'm sure it would be a blast though.
By fpena944
SeanR wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 am When we (928 crowd) went to Atlanta for an event at PEC I was totally blown away by how capable the base 911 was on the track. Simply stunned. I have a hard time imagining how a ride in the Cup car would be. I'm sure it would be a blast though.
That's why this video is so intriguing to me...The base 911 is no slouch, in fact there are few that can match it yet the GT3 Cup here catches up to it like an Olympic track star compared to a middle-aged jogger. It's crazy how on paper they might seem pretty evenly matched but in the real world there is a tremendous difference!
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am ... www.facebook.com ... 417795056110338
Too bad it’s a facebook video. Safari wants *nothing* to do with it.

*race cars* - as in: professionally purpose built - are no joke. Got a ride-along in a cup car a long time ago. The violence inside is not imaginable. PEC ATL (and other) ride-alongs in street cars are a next level from driving on the road. Race cars are a level or three above that. LMP and top VLN-spec race cars nutso fast and just below F1 cars.

Here’s some comparos from a long time ago (if anyone can find higher-res; ‘twould be cool):

https://youtu.be/JvIg1_rlipE

https://youtu.be/kZGU5mRvQFA
By linderpat
SeanR wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 am When we (928 crowd) went to Atlanta for an event at PEC I was totally blown away by how capable the base 911 was on the track. Simply stunned. I have a hard time imagining how a ride in the Cup car would be. I'm sure it would be a blast though.
This is something I'm struggling a bit with. My 997 is what I use for HPDE, and that car is fantastic. It is set up well, has a few mods to give it more power and responsiveness. Very capable.

However, I have 2 928s as well. I really don't need 3 Porsches. I'm a driver and weekend tinkerer, and not a collector. So one has to go. It's too much to keep up 3 of them (I don't have a "guy" :smile: ). I love the 928s. Each one is different. Blumaxx is the early one, and somewhat collectable now, so I don't want to thump on it anymore, but it is hard to imagine not having it. My red 85 is the combination I've looked for for a long time, and it is nearly fully sorted. Then there is the 997. Watching that track video and already being registered for the first track event of the new season, it is hard to think of selling it. Can't really track the 928's. Decisions :drink:
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:47 am
This is something I'm struggling a bit with. My 997 is what I use for HPDE, and that car is fantastic. It is set up well, has a few mods to give it more power and responsiveness. Very capable.

However, I have 2 928s as well. I really don't need 3 Porsches. I'm a driver and weekend tinkerer, and not a collector. So one has to go. It's too much to keep up 3 of them (I don't have a "guy" :smile: ). I love the 928s. Each one is different. Blumaxx is the early one, and somewhat collectable now, so I don't want to thump on it anymore, but it is hard to imagine not having it. My red 85 is the combination I've looked for for a long time, and it is nearly fully sorted. Then there is the 997. Watching that track video and already being registered for the first track event of the new season, it is hard to think of selling it. Can't really track the 928's. Decisions :drink:
That's going to be a really tough decision. If you like tracking you really don't want to use your 928s on the track because of the risk of damaging/losing one of them.

Sorry can't help but I do feel the pain!
By linderpat
amdavid wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:43 pm Based on that.....sell the 997, and 1 928 and bring yourself home a 992 for a daily/thumper. Damn that stock 992 is fast, but yeah, no GT car.
Now there's something I hadn't considered. The 992 is really like the modern iteration of what the 928 would have become had it continued (albeit with engine still in front). I like those 992's a lot. I like the 991's also. Shit, I like them all :rockon:
amdavid, milrad liked this
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:36 pm
amdavid wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:43 pm Based on that.....sell the 997, and 1 928 and bring yourself home a 992 for a daily/thumper. Damn that stock 992 is fast, but yeah, no GT car.
Now there's something I hadn't considered. The 992 is really like the modern iteration of what the 928 would have become had it continued (albeit with engine still in front). I like those 992's a lot. I like the 991's also. Shit, I like them all :rockon:
I have this same dilemma because if it were up to me I'd be like Seinfeld with one of each generation and model sub-type!
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]