8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
if your smog pump is noisy, or usually has been removed as it was noisy or seized up, the bearings can be replaced.
all 77-95 pumps use the same bearings.
i have done 5 pumps now and as my day job is a mechanic they are lovely to strip and rebuild, quality is in a different league to any units fitted to today's vehicles which are none repairable.

the bearings needed are:
1x 62032RS Budget Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 17x40x12mm
1x Major Branded B188 Imperial Drawn Cup Open End Type Full Complement Needle Roller Bearing 1-1/8x1-3/8x1/2 inch
4x BA65ZOH Imperial Needle Roller Bearing 3/8x9/16x5/16 inc

hope this helps someone

cheers
Phil
Bertrand Daoust, SeanR liked this
By worf
h2pmr wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:21 pm if your smog pump is noisy, or usually has been removed as it was noisy or seized up, the bearings can be replaced.
I’ve done a couple myself.

Have you found a source for replacement graphite sliders?
By Fox_
What about gutting the smog pump so it just acts as an idler pulley?
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 pm What about gutting the smog pump so it just acts as an idler pulley?
I’d need to look at the guts to be 100% sure, but it’s either trivial or almost trivial (once you have everything in pieces):
- just eliminate the two internal impeller vanes and dispense with the four small bearing purchase.
- replace the two big bearings.
By h2pmr
worf wrote:
h2pmr wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:21 pm if your smog pump is noisy, or usually has been removed as it was noisy or seized up, the bearings can be replaced.
I’ve done a couple myself.

Have you found a source for replacement graphite sliders?
i use 5mm acrylic sheet for the slider with the sprung metal behind it,hardest part is getting an even curvature to the surface that rubs on the blade, 5k miles on the first one and still going strong.
Fox_ wrote:What about gutting the smog pump so it just acts as an idler pulley?
yes this is by far the easiest option, just do not fit the blades or slides etc nobody would ever know and it would still look 100% original.

i use black brake caliper spray paint on the rear housing and pulley, most time consuming job is the cleaning and prep to get it looking and working like new, as more people are wanting to get their 928's 100% original,there is a small market for them on this side of the pond anyway.
which makes my orange one worth about £1k , but the SE is all original which makes up for it :thumbup:

cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By h2pmr
forgot to add pictures of acrylic sheet used for the sliders, i got the smallest sheet of acrylic i could so i could have one side perfectly straight and i could round over the edges on my cut side.
not all pumps need new ones, i guess it depends how many miles the pumps have done before the belt /pump gets removed for noisy bearings.
cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]