Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ChrisZ
Well, thank you Fernando for setting this site up. Times change, and I managed a number of yahoo groups that imploded a year or so ago. Found the best place to host everything was on my little servers at home, I still have a /28 public IP block and I like running my own DNS servers and the like. So total respect for what you're up to and I'll drop some coin in the slot in lieu of my IB membership.

Chris
86.5 928S daily driver
87 944S that I have owned for 30+ years
Buy your dreams early :-)
By Bertrand Daoust
Tony wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:55 am I just gave a plug to this place. See what happens. :hitfan:
I just join this site today.
I read your post on Renn... today and decide to give it a try.
Thanks Tony for the hint! :thumbup:
By Daniel5691
Well, as of today around 3;30 Roger posted up on RL to announce he had been released from the re-education camp.
God bless you Roger you have the patience of Job himself.
I wish you every possible continued success with your business, and thank you again for all the help that you have given me over the years with my 928.
But honestly sir to hell with them boys I wish it were possible for you to just stay here.

It seems on Open Road at least we're the guys who believe in the same 3 things...
1) cars, 2)freedom, and 3) highly questionable and offensive personal behavior.

Piss on those thought troopers. let 'em eat their own....
checkmate1996 liked this
By fpena944
ChrisZ wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:08 pm Well, thank you Fernando for setting this site up. Times change, and I managed a number of yahoo groups that imploded a year or so ago. Found the best place to host everything was on my little servers at home, I still have a /28 public IP block and I like running my own DNS servers and the like. So total respect for what you're up to and I'll drop some coin in the slot in lieu of my IB membership.

Chris
86.5 928S daily driver
87 944S that I have owned for 30+ years
Buy your dreams early :-)
Thanks Chris!

That's quite a setup you have there! I considered hosting from home as that would ensure complete control over the experience but I knew I would be moving soon so keeping it at a central facility was really the best approach. As we grow I'll consider other options but for now the server we have is still cruising along without difficulty.

I know one thing is certain...We won't go to AWS or Azure at any point in the future knowing that they can turn off the lights if they don't agree with our viewpoints.
By RSMartin
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:18 pm my full membership over there expires in about 30 days so after that I won't care. I have some bits I need to sell, and get rid of so until that happens, I won't poke the bear too hard. I search over there for stuff, but I refuse to post technical stuff even when I see people asking questions or posting wrong stuff.
I understand many people are leaving Facebook as well
But this maybe is a link to sell off some parts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2080823 ... ?ref=share
By SeanR
RSMartin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:08 am
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:18 pm my full membership over there expires in about 30 days so after that I won't care. I have some bits I need to sell, and get rid of so until that happens, I won't poke the bear too hard. I search over there for stuff, but I refuse to post technical stuff even when I see people asking questions or posting wrong stuff.
I understand many people are leaving Facebook as well
But this maybe is a link to sell off some parts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2080823 ... ?ref=share

This is the open group Roger made many years ago for exactly this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/484684878341646
By JBRob007
I’ve dropped FB and now RL... for all the same reasons. Tired of being manipulated by people who just happen to have more $$ than me. Roger, Sean and the like do more for the 928 Community then any of those rat bastards combined! So, here we are... anybody got pics of cars, guns & scantily dressed seat covers!?!?
Landseer, Daniel5691 liked this
By fpena944
JBRob007 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:43 pm I’ve dropped FB and now RL... for all the same reasons. Tired of being manipulated by people who just happen to have more $$ than me. Roger, Sean and the like do more for the 928 Community then any of those rat bastards combined! So, here we are... anybody got pics of cars, guns & scantily dressed seat covers!?!?
You can find the scantily dressed right here! :eyepop:

https://openroad.site/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
By JBRob007
THANK YOU! Very nice :)
By Erik N
Daniel5691 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:17 pm It seems on Open Road at least we're the guys who believe in the same 3 things...
1) cars, 2)freedom, and 3) highly questionable and offensive personal behavior.
Amen, brother.

Try to make it to 3rd Coast sometime. You would fit right in with those derelicts. :thumbup:
By Don Smith
He is no longer a sponsor....just a regular good guy, like you or me.
By jej3
Sadly, for Roger, he's got to navigate the abuse of d!ckheads like GB to stay in touch with the RL community.

That latest Water Pump thread is going to be a great example of Greg springing his commercial trojan horse on the RL sheep.

I'm only on RL at this point to ensure people are up to date on the Rendezvous 928 : Sharks Circling Amelia Island event.

The best thing we can do for Roger is KEEP buying parts from him :)
Bertrand Daoust liked this
By linderpat
yes, I wish the hell GB would cut that shyte out. It's almost like he is baiting Roger, and anyone else at this point, and his ego maniac posts are getting tiresome - nobody has done it longer, better, more perfect, etc than him. Common. There are lots of great indy providers out there who never exist on these various web outlets. Soembody close to him should be nudging him. His son should let him know that all the good will he has earned over the years is being squandered away with these toxic posts.
Getliquid88 liked this
By SeanR
Truth be told, Hacker went to great lengths in a battle against IB to get stuff straightened out for Roger on R-list. Going to be interesting to see how things progress in the future.
checkmate1996 liked this
By worf
Made me look. :banghead:
jej3 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:11 am That latest Water Pump thread is going to be a great ...
... waste of my time.

They only way to respond within ‘the rules’ is if I have installed a water pump that has failed and if I’m willing to spend the time to go back through 20+ years of invoices to get date and mileages. And then I’d probably have to defend the veracity of each and every example.

I have pulled failed water pumps I didn’t install. Most came with no records of installation so I can only make educated guesses about manufacture, age etc.

During The Great Rebuilt Water Pump Pandemic of 2006-2008 I installed and replaced a 1/2-dozen-ish rebuilts. But that doesn’t count.
By Addlight
worf wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:24 pm
... waste of my time.

They only way to respond within ‘the rules’ is if I have installed a water pump that has failed and if I’m willing to spend the time to go back through 20+ years of invoices to get date and mileages. And then I’d probably have to defend the veracity of each and every example.
It's a pretty transparent attempt at baiting. He says in the thread he has removed hundreds of water pumps (or is it thousands?). If this is really for the sake of the community, he should just post the results of his own efforts. How many miles,
when did they fail, what engine, what brand were they, what coolant, what mode of failure?

He apparently already has more than enough data in house, but he is asking others to provide him with a few responses of what he already has plenty of? And he is asking for data most of us probably don't have, like photos of our failed water pump, the exact mileage, etc.

His request is obviously not for the benefit of the community or for science. If it were, he'd share his hard numbers.

Matt
By SeanR
I read that thread and I'm not sure what he's going for. I've replaced hundreds of water pumps, replacing them with one Porsche unit, one Geba (the one that failed and returned to Roger) and the rest were Lasos. Have not had a single Laso failure in 14 years.
By maddog2020
when it comes to stuff like water pumps, individuals doing DYI are usually looking to save money. Shops are looking at profit margin. When you are looking at profit margin there is markup and labor. From a shops viewpoint doing the job twice is not part of the business model so shops use the most reliable part so they don't loose money on labor. DIY'ers don't want to do it again, either but everyone has different levels of risk.

GB keeps opening threads to bait Roger, and it serves no purpose but to make himself look bad.
By Landseer
Only thread rules that resonate with me are no pic, no post. ( the Mongo / AO rules )

I like conjecture and random injections of philosophy and the like. Others should too, so I'll try to add some occasionally. There.
By worf
Landseer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am Only thread rules that resonate with me are no pic, no post. ( the Mongo / AO rules )
By Getliquid88
linderpat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 pm yes, I wish the hell GB would cut that shyte out. It's almost like he is baiting Roger, and anyone else at this point, and his ego maniac posts are getting tiresome - nobody has done it longer, better, more perfect, etc than him. Common. There are lots of great indy providers out there who never exist on these various web outlets. Soembody close to him should be nudging him. His son should let him know that all the good will he has earned over the years is being squandered away with these toxic posts.
GB loves to see/hear himself....and overly promote. Sad dude. Roger and Mark get my business. No if’s ands or buts.
By ROG100
I am my own worst enemy sometimes. I should not respond to his baiting but in the case of the Water Pump thread I really had something to offer in real statistics. However that was of no interest to GB - why let facts get in the way of trying to trash Laso pumps. GB knows full well that there are only two pumps that are both new and use a composite impeller. He wanted everyone to endorse his love of the use of Porsche pumps and debase the Laso. Did not work out the way he planned.
By Gretch
worf wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:07 pm
GT6ixer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:46 pm I assume the mods don't monitor PMs correct?
PMs are transparent to mods, IIRC.

However, unless IB has found someone that can actually write code... :kickbutt:

... only active suspicion would cause a mod to look through PMs.
I had "admin" access when I was a mod there and even that level access did not include the ability to see PM's.

All the folks I invited over here after the "lynching", I invited via PM. I bet I sent out 30 or more..... FWIW.
By worf
Gretch wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:35 pm I had "admin" access when I was a mod there and even that level access did not include the ability to see PM's.

All the folks I invited over here after the "lynching", I invited via PM. I bet I sent out 30 or more..... FWIW.
I guess then that it is correct to write “some IB employees have ...”
By Gretch
Pedantic, worf be thy nom de plume..... :roflmao:

You have to believe someone can delve into PM's.....................
By maddog2020
I sent some very inflammatory PM's about mod's and Rob, as well as JD to test the waters. I never got any responses. I had several accounts (for testing purposes) and kept ratcheting it up to see if I could get a response. I finally quit as I didn't want to cross a line. IB employees probably do have access to PM's but I think several hurdles would have to be crossed for them to do it ( procedure and company policy type stuff not tehcnical) I would think a request from LE would open them right up.
By fpena944
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:50 am I sent some very inflammatory PM's about mod's and Rob, as well as JD to test the waters. I never got any responses. I had several accounts (for testing purposes) and kept ratcheting it up to see if I could get a response. I finally quit as I didn't want to cross a line. IB employees probably do have access to PM's but I think several hurdles would have to be crossed for them to do it ( procedure and company policy type stuff not tehcnical) I would think a request from LE would open them right up.
The stock version of vBulletin does not allow admins or moderators to read PMs. But if someone has access to the database itself, they could parse out the data to read it.

Also there are plugins available where reading a PM becomes pretty easy. There are a lot of online discussions around the ethical use of such tools as most see it as a blatant invasion of privacy and violation of user trust.

So in other words it shouldn't be happening but it absolutely could happen.
By worf
Gretch wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 am Pedantic, worf be thy nom de plume..... :roflmao:
I'll wear that name tag.

Gretch wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 am You have to believe someone can delve into PM's.....................
fpena944 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am But if someone has access to the database itself, they could parse out the data to read it.
Admin console access to the DB instance is all that's required. Unless some of the data are encrypted. I think I'm safe betting a testicle that there's no encryption on PMs.

fpena944 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am So in other words it shouldn't be happening but it absolutely could happen.
I recall reading some posts over the (20) years from folks who presented reasonable evidence that their PMs had been read by Admins/IB-orkers/Mods. Thus I'd formed the tentative conclusion that it was not only possible but something that happened from time to time.

Gretch threw water on that though. On the other hand, since he was always an ornery cuss, maybe they just didn't let him read PMs... :roflmao:
By Gretch
RV was known to do some nefarious things, for sure............. When BTO became the site admin, he laid down a set of rules that made the place a benevolent monarchy as opposed to the dictatorship that it was under jd and rv.

jd was good at soothing the angry beast when rv went rogue........but it always came across as shallow and patronizing. The real draw to RL in the early days were the tech forums, and they likely still are, though once the cars went all electronic and millenials piled in to ownership, the content devolved to deviated stitching colors and all those lofty automotive subjects. Then of course Cancel culture took over............ wonderful.

Even the 928 forum moved to a higher level of ego wars over the last 20 years. That got too tedious for me to moderate and I foisted it off on Hacker.......... ages ago.

I am glad I am out of the place............ I had not realized how much the site had changed for the worse.
"ornery" but lovable............. for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
By Crumpler
So I guess I showed up on RL around 2010. At that time RV was still a moderator in some capacity I think but seemed most apt at mercilessly trolling every thread.
I was just trying not to get stepped on each time I posted. I honestly thought that was just how RL functioned.
As I got to know some solid people I would get defensive when he would take pot shots. I don’t know the guy but I didn’t get the impression that he turned a lot of wrenches.
I called him out publicly, I think when he was shitting all over Matt Mariani’s RS project.
All I got was a Hurrumph from him back, so maybe one of you guys were protecting me, I don’t know ;)
Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I "think" they are straight. […]

Okay, so I pulled the trigger on going with a Must[…]