8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Stepson
I'll send it today.
By Fox_
Good news, car was back on the road Saturday.

Backed off the passenger side one tooth and the timing was within 1-2° with eyeballing. Left driver side +1 and spent far, far too long trying to retard the passenger side to -1.

Bad news:

Anyone see an issue here?

https://youtu.be/8hCjWp_g7K4
By Fox_
No, seriously, any ideas why the cam gear is rotating that out of true?

How big of an issue is it? Wonder if that's the answer to the mystery of increased wear on that side.
By Stepson
Cam gears are new. If they were used cam gears, I would say that the gear got bent during a previous removal. That leaves the cam snout being bent. That sucks.
By MFranke
Cam snouts seem pretty sturdy.. .what causes them to bend? Should you check the sprocket mounting... play or wear on the camshaft bearing surface?
By Stepson
What causes them to bend is using a gear puller on the cam and excessive force being used to get the cam gear off. This was done prior to the OP probably.
By Fox_
Stepson wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm What causes them to bend is using a gear puller on the cam and excessive force being used to get the cam gear off. This was done prior to the OP probably.
That side the gear & hub came right off.

Other side cam hub wouldn't come off, just left it.
By MFranke
We must be talking about the hub. If it were me, I would verify the runout on the gear sprocket and then the hub. The gear sprockets have a slight amount of play in their fitment to the shaft. I imagine a bent hub arm or fitment issue could cause a wobble.

I've found that the woodruff key can bind up the hub if the key is nicked or scored in any way. A file can help fix that. Otherwise, it seems gentle tapping, heat and penetrant usually free these up.
Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

Agreed, I was yelling at my screen during SQ3. V[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Just watched a video on that tool...that's bad a[…]

100% the new bearings. The others were completely […]

1985 Speedo Issues Part 2

Hey everyone! I've been working on the guards red […]