Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
I've been asking myself this question for quite some time now. Are the best racers the ones with the most skill or are they simply more daring and brave than others in the field?

I go back to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KR47csl2L8

There's a few moves there that I think to myself, "Wow, potential there to destroy your car and someone else's!"

So what is it? Maybe a little bit of both?
By David993S
A combination of several traits. But I like to think in terms of: A good racer is one who drives a clean race, and finishes the race without damaging the car or hurting him/her self. And that's the difference between a 20 yr. old racer, and a 60 yr. old racer. :wink:

The video reminds me of my days in SCCA Showroom Stock. I have an old in-car video of me in my Formula Ford in a SCCA National (now called Major) race at Mid-Ohio where I finished 2nd. . When I watch it these days, it wears me out. I don't believe I could today handle the intensity, pressure, stamina and incredible concentration it required. So maybe it is a big brass pair. :roflmao:
911Königin liked this
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 am I've been asking myself this question for quite some time now. Are the best racers the ones with the most skill or are they simply more daring and brave than others in the field?

I go back to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KR47csl2L8

There's a few moves there that I think to myself, "Wow, potential there to destroy your car and someone else's!"

So what is it? Maybe a little bit of both?
)(Skill + Car)*Wallet)*Balls!
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:56 am A combination of several traits. But I like to think in terms of: A good racer is one who drives a clean race, and finishes the race without damaging the car or hurting him/her self. And that's the difference between a 20 yr. old racer, and a 60 yr. old racer. :wink:

The video reminds me of my days in SCCA Showroom Stock. I have an old in-car video of me in my Formula Ford in a SCCA National (now called Major) race at Mid-Ohio where I finished 2nd. . When I watch it these days, it wears me out. I don't believe I could today handle the intensity, pressure, stamina and incredible concentration it required. So maybe it is a big brass pair. :roflmao:
When I look at videos from the old days of racing where safety was not even a concern, it makes the question even more interesting because one mistake almost certainly meant death.

I know when I'm doing a DE I'm a lot more cautious than when messing around with friends on a kart track. There I will go all out because my perceived level of risk is lower. Granted you can really get hurt on a kart but for some reason I feel it being safer than my street car running down the track.
N_Jay wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:05 pm )(Skill + Car)*Wallet)*Balls!
You are correct, almost everything in racing goes back to the money part of it. That component is in EVERY equation!
By 911Königin
Our first and second place racers had 'a tussle' today :roflmao: To answer the original question, I think it takes both.....but like David says, you can definitely tell those with experience.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]