Boats, Planes, Motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, and all other fun non-automotive vehicles
By Streck-Fu
Yes, they conceived the idea but never executed. Convair, shortly after the Air Force took delivery of the F-106s in the late 50s, in an effort to increase sales in the potential corporate market, drew up a F-106 with the military equipment removed and replaced with 4 passenger seats.

By fpena944
Seems like an incredibly tight fit for the passengers. But I guess supersonic speed has compromises.
By Streck-Fu
@SeanR Several years ago, I bought a digital magazine that covered obscure aviation information and this was in an issue.

@fpena944 Sure they compared it to a Bonanza but I bet it felt cramped after the first hour.
SeanR liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 am Seems like an incredibly tight fit for the passengers. But I guess supersonic speed has compromises.
Yeah - but it would certainly be one hell of a ride. :rockon:

Not the same plane, but not far off...

By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:22 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 am Seems like an incredibly tight fit for the passengers. But I guess supersonic speed has compromises.

The first aviation themed model I built as a kid was an F-106. Strange coincidence, eh?
By Streck-Fu

The F-102, older brother to the 106.
By Scott at Team Harco
Streck-Fu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm

The F-102, older brother to the 106.
Correct. I had to do some research to verify. I'm not sure they had an F-106 at March Field.
There would likely be a photo in my collection, it there were.
By Streck-Fu
Close enough... :)

The easiest way to tell them apart is the location of the intakes. The F-102 has them inline with the wing chord and forward of the cockpit and the F-106 has the higher than the wing cord and behind the cockpit.
By ny991
Sign me up! I’ll take a quick round trip ticket and buy dinner for the pilot!
By 911Königin
^^^Around these parts, it is called the "$100.00 burger!" Interesting that they compared it to a Bonanza :cool:
By SeaCay
FANG still had them as alert interceptors at Homestead when I first went there in late 1986. Wiki says they cashed-in in March of '86, but they were still there and operational in September '86, and at least a few months after. Perhaps the other Florida ANG detachments received their F-16's before Homestead. The Homestead det had near routine scrambles to the south for druggies crossing the ADIZ. Was cool to watch the 106's (and later 16's) climb out on full burner as far as one could see.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]