By ny991
I saw one yesterday on the way to work. I didn’t get too close to it, but, from what I saw it looked like a piece of crap. At first I couldn’t tell if it was a Jeep Compass or a Bronco, but thought Bronco only because of what I thought said Bronco on the tailgate.

It reminded me of the Chrysler K car because of the huge piece of crap it looked like, but made the manufacturer a ton of money.

Anyone else seen one yet?

For the record I am a Ford guy, but the Bronco has some convincing work to do on me.
By JustBud
You may have seen the Bronco "Sport", it's a less aggressive version, a soccer mom version of the Bronco, if you will.

Bronco sport and Bronco (right).

tooloud10 liked this
By N_Jay
Sport is on an Escape platform, and full Bronco is on a bigger platform, Edge or Explorer, I would guess.
By AKSteve
There's something cartoony looking about the design that I don't like. I prefer the square looking 1990's era Bronco. I think the new Bronco should've been based on the Raptor. I'd kill for a 2 door SUV with Raptor styling and performance.
By JustBud
AKSteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:12 pm There's something cartoony looking about the design that I don't like. I prefer the square looking 1990's era Bronco. I think the new Bronco should've been based on the Raptor. I'd kill for a 2 door SUV with Raptor styling and performance.

Supposedly a Bronco "Raptor" edition is on the way, it's called the Warthog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48q3whIku4s&t
By AKSteve
JustBud wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:16 pm Supposedly a Bronco "Raptor" edition is on the way, it's called the Warthog.
If that rendering is at all accurate, that thing looks like a double dose of Ugly. I think I like the Jeep Wrangler 392 better.
By ny991
JustBud wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm You may have seen the Bronco "Sport", it's a less aggressive version, a soccer mom version of the Bronco, if you will.

Bronco sport and Bronco (right).

I think you're right. I think the Sport is the only model they've shipped yet. They should have called it the Filly. :lol2:
By JustBud
ny991 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:38 am
I think you're right. I think the Sport is the only model they've shipped yet. They should have called it the Filly. :lol2:
It definitely would have been more truthful. :biggrin:

AKSteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 pm
JustBud wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:16 pm Supposedly a Bronco "Raptor" edition is on the way, it's called the Warthog.
If that rendering is at all accurate, that thing looks like a double dose of Ugly. I think I like the Jeep Wrangler 392 better.
I completely agree with you. The Warthog is an appropriate name for something so ungainly.....

It's much more :puking: than :eyepop: (although I do like the Bronco Badlands, I'll wait to see it in person to decide 2 or 4 door)
By LPMM
AKSteve wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:12 pm I think the new Bronco should've been based on the Raptor. I'd kill for a 2 door SUV with Raptor styling and performance.
With modular panels, it's only a matter of time until someone makes a Raptor look alike. I am waiting for the Bronco to be in the showrooms to see if I like it enough to jump ship and be Jeepless for the first time in nearly 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st47SH8wDJc
amdavid liked this
By sh944
Yeah, my wife and Idecided not to wait. The real Bronco (not the Sport) looks too big so we just pulled the trigger on a J(h)eep Wrangler 4 door and are very happy with it.
By fpena944
When I first saw it I thought to myself, "Oh a new Toyota FJ" :biggrin:
By SeanR
Pulled up behind one in my Rover and was pretty surprised at how small it was. Nice looking ride but it was more the size of the old Bronco II.
By N_Jay
SeanR wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am Pulled up behind one in my Rover and was pretty surprised at how small it was. Nice looking ride but it was more the size of the old Bronco II.
Guessing that was a Bronco Sport (Escape platform)
By LPMM
SeanR wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am Pulled up behind one in my Rover and was pretty surprised at how small it was. Nice looking ride but it was more the size of the old Bronco II.
Must have been a POS Sport. I went to the dealer today to take a look at a 4-door Bronco, and it is the same size as my Wrangler Unlimted. Overall fairly decent but hard pass based on lack of availability and stupid pricing.
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:22 pm Saw one going down the road today….
That's an Escape, err I mean "Bronco" Sport. :evilgrin:
By AKSteve
LPMM wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm I went to the dealer today to take a look at a 4-door Bronco, and it is the same size as my Wrangler Unlimted. Overall fairly decent but hard pass based on lack of availability and stupid pricing.
I watched a review that said the new Bronco model is like if Ford took a Wrangler and modernized every detail of the design. Did your dealer have a huge markup on the Bronco you looked at?
By LPMM
AKSteve wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:00 pm
LPMM wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:45 pm I went to the dealer today to take a look at a 4-door Bronco, and it is the same size as my Wrangler Unlimted. Overall fairly decent but hard pass based on lack of availability and stupid pricing.
I watched a review that said the new Bronco model is like if Ford took a Wrangler and modernized every detail of the design. Did your dealer have a huge markup on the Bronco you looked at?
I would not say the Bronco is a modernized Wrangler, they are similar yet very different IMO. In addition, I view the Bronco more as an overland type vehicle or a rig you take on a beach/forest trail day trip. The Wrangler is definitely better suited for the serious offroader.

The one the dealer had was a fairly basic stick shift, 4 banger, soft top unit with an MSRP of just under $49K. I saw the MSRP online since they would not show it to me nor tell me the selling price unless I was serious and wanted to sit down and purchase it that day. :rolleyes:

The Bronco is a good looking rig but I was somewhat disappointed. However if you want one, by all means get on the waiting list and start saving your pennies. OTOH, if you want a fun vehicle doubling as a fantastic offroader, a diesel Rubicon should be a the top of your list.
By tooloud10
My SO has been heavily hinting around about wanting an OG Bronco lately but I have zero desire to deal with an old car right now, so we're possibly compromising on a new Bronco. I actually prefer the 4-cyl + 7-speed manual, but it seems like adding almost any other options pushes you to the 10-speed auto, so the manual kind of feels like a unicorn at this point.
By ny991
I agree, the manual trans is hard to get. I guess it shows their target market.
By SidViscous
tooloud10 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 pm My SO has been heavily hinting around about wanting an OG Bronco lately but I have zero desire to deal with an old car right now, so we're possibly compromising on a new Bronco. I actually prefer the 4-cyl + 7-speed manual, but it seems like adding almost any other options pushes you to the 10-speed auto, so the manual kind of feels like a unicorn at this point.
Wait... have you SEEN one?
By N_Jay
Just saw one today.
By JustBud
N_Jay wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 pm Just saw one today.
Saw one last weekend, it was the EXACT Bronco I've built on the simulator a hundred times. Badlands with Lux Package and the Sasquatch package in Area 51. It was good looking. Of course I embarrassed my better half by walking directly over and talking to the couple that had just parked it.... stuck my head in to check out the interior (after asking permission of course). They absolutely raved about it. Said it was worth every day of the wait and every penny they paid.
By N_Jay
JustBud wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:49 pm
N_Jay wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 pm Just saw one today.
Saw one last weekend, it was the EXACT Bronco I've built on the simulator a hundred times. Badlands with Lux Package and the Sasquatch package in Area 51. It was good looking. Of course I embarrassed my better half by walking directly over and talking to the couple that had just parked it.... stuck my head in to check out the interior (after asking permission of course). They absolutely raved about it. Said it was worth every day of the wait and every penny they paid.
Well, the one I saw, just made left turn in front of me when I was trying to make a left out of a side street.
It was a quick look.
By tooloud10
SidViscous wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:45 pmWait... have you SEEN one?
Have I seen a manual Bronco? No, that's why I'm worried they're unicorns.

Have I seen a new Bronco at all? Yes, and they look and work worlds better than the uncomfortable, cheesy eBay modified Wranglers that abound. I have a couple of buddies with newer lifted Wranglers and they're among the cheapest vehicles around.
By SidViscous
Only angle it looks somewhat good is directly head on.
By ny991
I’m just starting to see some of the larger models and, from a quick view, may have some hope. I haven’t seen any with the larger tires on them yet.
By tooloud10
SidViscous wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 pm Only angle it looks somewhat good is directly head on.
Meh, that's fine but looks are totally subjective. Look at how many people get butt hurt over 996 headlights--meanwhile, mine has been the best car I've ever owned. The Bronco and Wrangler are the only vehicles in their category and I've had so many crappy experiences with Jeeps and lately a lot of good experiences with Fords, so the choice is a no brainer to me.
By Fox_
I saw a video of whats under the hood.

The last ford I worked on that looked like a epic rats nest like that was a nightmare.

Imagine this will be the same.
By tooloud10
Fox_ wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 pm I saw a video of whats under the hood.

The last ford I worked on that looked like a epic rats nest like that was a nightmare.

Imagine this will be the same.
That describes every new car. The 2.3 and 2.7 engines in the Bronco are both pretty good engines and viewed favorably by most--just saying that the powertrain probably isn't the weak link here.

Finding a Bronco sure is, though. Every dealer I've spoke to that will order one for MSRP says it might be a '23 model by the time it's delivered.
By tooloud10
There are still few dealers willing to sell Broncos and Raptors for MSRP. I am in no major hurry to buy but am making a mental list of dealers that look me in the eye and ask for $20k over sticker. I’ve actually been really happy with my new Fords but this is kinda souring me on the whole thing and I can live with my current cars for quite a while.
By AKSteve
tooloud10 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 pm There are still few dealers willing to sell Broncos and Raptors for MSRP. I am in no major hurry to buy but am making a mental list of dealers that look me in the eye and ask for $20k over sticker. I’ve actually been really happy with my new Fords but this is kinda souring me on the whole thing and I can live with my current cars for quite a while.
Feeling the same way about the latest Jeep Wrangler with the Hemi V8. Every local dealer is constantly sold out and never has anything incoming. I've checked dealers out of state and they all seem to want $20k over MSRP. Plus I wold have to ship the thing up to Alaska. The latest thing I found was that the local Mercedes dealership is bringing in two USED V8 Wranglers and they're selling each one for....$95k!

I have a feeling that car dealerships LOVE the pandemic and don't want things to ever go back to normal. My saleswoman at the local BMW dealership told me recently that she had her best year ever last year.

As for Ford dealers, I'm hoping to trade my 2017 Ford Raptor soon in for a F250 with the Tremor off-road package. We'll see how that goes. I need something that's better at towing an RV.
By tooloud10
I found a somewhat local dealer that was offering to order a Bronco for invoice recently, which obviously sounded too good to be true but I figured they would just spring MSRP on me at some point, which I am fine with paying. We went through three conversations of what I wanted ("everything") and how I knew it would take a while to come in (but no specifics).

Last week the salesman casually mentions "you know, this Bronco delivery might take 3-5 years". :banghead:

C'mon man, why TF are we even talking then? Literally no one is going to buy a mainstream car with those kinds of strings attached.
By AKSteve
tooloud10 liked this
By tooloud10
I really like the idea of the new Bronco Raptor, but good luck getting one. Sounds like all existing 'regular' Bronco reservation holders will be able to convert their reservation to the Raptor if they want, so most are expected to be taken that way.
By AKSteve
tooloud10 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:35 am I really like the idea of the new Bronco Raptor, but good luck getting one. Sounds like all existing 'regular' Bronco reservation holders will be able to convert their reservation to the Raptor if they want, so most are expected to be taken that way.
Yeah. Automakers have figured out a way to make me feel like a "have not" even though I have the money to spend on any number of new vehicles at the moment. There's just nothing cool out there right now that isn't either priced like a rip-off or totally unavailable.
By lupo.sk
AKSteve wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am
tooloud10 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:35 am I really like the idea of the new Bronco Raptor, but good luck getting one. Sounds like all existing 'regular' Bronco reservation holders will be able to convert their reservation to the Raptor if they want, so most are expected to be taken that way.
Yeah. Automakers have figured out a way to make me feel like a "have not" even though I have the money to spend on any number of new vehicles at the moment. There's just nothing cool out there right now that isn't either priced like a rip-off or totally unavailable.
Get a russian lada, bet ya don’t find a lot of them on the road even in AK.
Priced just above a bigger costco run, unique af, sometimes even runs as it should.
By AKSteve
lupo.sk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:02 am
AKSteve wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am
Get a russian lada, bet ya don’t find a lot of them on the road even in AK.
Priced just above a bigger costco run, unique af, sometimes even runs as it should.
"Put it in H!!"

XR4Tim liked this
By UDPride
Maybe Im asking a rhetorical question here, but is there something special about the Ford Bronco that I'm not aware of that's creating this incredible demand and pricing? It looks like a Toyota FJ Cruiser ripoff (with potentially an extra set of normal doors) if you ask me. You can buy a used FJ for $25,000 (same price when they were new...they have had 0 depreciation) and drive it home today. And despite it having 100,000 miles on it will still probably outlast a new Bronco at half the price. And 10 years from now the FJ will still have 0 depreciation.

I'm not very bright, so I'm probably missing something obvious. It just feels like on my social media feeds and on TV its as if Ford has pulled fairy dust out of thin air and given the market something we have never seen before.
By N_Jay
Is Ford leveraging all the old Broco hype over the past 5 or so years, or did they create it by placing Broncos in TV shows, movies, and in commercials?
By tooloud10
UDPride wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:13 am Maybe Im asking a rhetorical question here, but is there something special about the Ford Bronco that I'm not aware of that's creating this incredible demand and pricing? It looks like a Toyota FJ Cruiser ripoff (with potentially an extra set of normal doors) if you ask me. You can buy a used FJ for $25,000 (same price when they were new...they have had 0 depreciation) and drive it home today. And despite it having 100,000 miles on it will still probably outlast a new Bronco at half the price. And 10 years from now the FJ will still have 0 depreciation.
That's easy--the last FJ Cruiser was MY '14 in the US, and also they're quite possibly the ugliest vehicles ever sold here short of the Pontiac Aztek. I'm sure they were good cars in their day, but they don't have modern tech and they do have those goofy rear doors that nobody wants to deal with. Beyond that, the biggest problem with the FJ Cruiser is the same problem that exists on all Toyotas--somehow they manage to build the toughest, most reliable vehicles and still make them boring AF. There is absolutely zero sex appeal with these things.

None of the vehicles in this category have had a big problem with depreciation, so you might as well get the one you like the best. In my case it would be for my SO that is strictly buying it for nostalgic reasons but wants the modern tech she's become used to in modern vehicles. She absolutely does not want a Jeep because they drive like complete shit and I can't blame her.
I'm not very bright, so I'm probably missing something obvious. It just feels like on my social media feeds and on TV its as if Ford has pulled fairy dust out of thin air and given the market something we have never seen before.
Look, you know how this shit works. If 'bang for the buck' was the only reason for buying cars, we'd all be driving C8 Corvettes.

My dentist buddy drives a Camry with red leather seats and I'm sure it's a good car and as reliable as any other Toyota, but somehow it's still boring and I have no desire to own one. OTOH, we have been pleased with our late model Fords, so...Bronco it is. :)
By UDPride
^^^ That's all well and good, but I can't think of a single person that bought an FJ Cruiser who was concerned with the vehicle not being boring. It was never designed for that and its buying audience didn't care about that. What they wanted was a rugged vehicle capable of trekking around Moab, getting the kids to violin practice in the snowy weather, hauling camping gear, and Toyota reliability. And to compare its design to the Aztek is way overboard. The Aztek was such a flop they had to redesign it in year two. The FJ was never redesigned and people pay big money to own one. If it was so offputting to look at, it would be reselling for the same price as the Pontiac.

I think the Bronco audience is quite similar. Its like expecting someone buying a minivan to be making a purchasing decision based on excitement factor. It's not even a part of the equation. Im sure the Bronco is a capable off road vehicle and will be reliable. But, so are 100 other options. That's my point however. Why is the world goo-goo gaa-gaa over a vehicle that really doesn't do anything other vehicles don't already do and willing to pay $30,000 over sticker for the privilege? Its like Honda coming out with a new 4 cylinder sedan and people going apeshit and paying $20K over sticker like they have never seen such an automobile before.

I take no issue w/the people buying at MSRP or below. But to pay a premium for a vehicle that is in any way special that I can see just appears to be financial flexing by those with the fat pockets. Folks can do whatever they want with their own money, but I don't necessarily have to agree w/the logic of it.
By tooloud10
I'm not sure you're giving the new Bronco enough credit when you talk about '100 other options' that do the same thing. The Bronco really only has 1-2 competitors--the Jeep Wrangler and Land Rover Defender, and the latter might be a stretch because of the price, the fixed roof, and the fact that it's now a unibody vehicle unlike the body-on-frame Bronco and Wrangler.

A huge portion of these vehicles are emotional purchases and Ford arguably hit the sweet spot with the technology and the IFR. The Bronco probably doesn't do quite as good off road as the Jeep, but it's not like I or most other buyers are tackling Moab with stock versions of these SUVs anyway.

As for the dealer ADMs, they are unfortunately pretty common in this market. If one were willing to pay an ADM, it arguably makes more sense on vehicles like the Wrangler, Raptor, and Bronco that will likely depreciate much slower than more mainstream options. I still won't pay extra, but I don't care what anyone else does.
By Airkuhl
I love Wranglers and thought the FJ was pretty cool, but I don't get this thing at all. It's ugly not in a so-ugly-it's-cool way, but in a homogenized way, like it's been dumbed down by committee.

But that's just a personal opinion that doesn't matter. I can't figure out why it exists. If you want to really go off-road, a Wrangler is much better. Maybe even a used Wrangler with some useful off-road mods and a few redneck pinstripes to pop that cherry and move on. And if you're not going to do serious off-roading, then why? Anything north of a Subaru will be just as good offroad and probably MUCH better on-road, including other Ford products. I just don't get it at all. I understand buying impractical cars for looks, but this ain't that either. Hell, even one of those MB Sprinter overland type things makes more sense.
By tooloud10
Airkuhl wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:43 am But that's just a personal opinion that doesn't matter. I can't figure out why it exists. If you want to really go off-road, a Wrangler is much better. Maybe even a used Wrangler with some useful off-road mods and a few redneck pinstripes to pop that cherry and move on. And if you're not going to do serious off-roading, then why?
Most buyers aren't really using Wranglers or Broncos to go off road--they're choosing them over crossovers in the same way that some people buy 3-row crossovers instead of minivans even though they'd be better off with the van. That's why I think the Bronco is such a hit--it looks 100% of the part, it's probably 90% as good as a Wrangler off road, it's newer with more tech, and it's the shiny new thing.
Anything north of a Subaru will be just as good offroad and probably MUCH better on-road, including other Ford products. I just don't get it at all. I understand buying impractical cars for looks, but this ain't that either. Hell, even one of those MB Sprinter overland type things makes more sense.
Don't you have a Raptor? Could argue the same thing--spent more to get less utility and a Wrangler does better off road.

My Raptor has a 1052 lb payload rating. The Ford Maverick has a 1500 lb payload rating. It's really not good at being a truck, and I bet you're doing exactly the same number of high speed desert runs as I am.
By LPMM
AKSteve wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am And now....the Bronco Raptor.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2022-fo ... 00266.html
These have to be the ugliest fender flares I have seen. :puking:

tooloud10 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:06 pm In my case it would be for my SO that is strictly buying it for nostalgic reasons but wants the modern tech she's become used to in modern vehicles. She absolutely does not want a Jeep because they drive like complete shit and I can't blame her.
A properly setup Wrangler with the right components does not drive like shit. The problem is that most drive their Jeep through a Quadratec catalog with a crap magnet and then wonder why it rides like shit. As for tech, I have all I need in my Wrangler and I definitely wouldn’t want some of the nanny off-road “features” the Bronco has. However, I can see their usefulness to tackle the fire trail/gravel road on the way to the weekend cabin. :tongue: :wink:

Looks aside since it is very subjective, the Bronco rides better onroad and it has better acceleration than the Wrangler, which fits the daily driving habits of most people. But for a more analog, reliable, easy to maintain, and superior off-roader, the Wrangler can’t be beat.
By tooloud10
LPMM wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:54 am These have to be the ugliest fender flares I have seen. :puking:
I don't care for them myself but they don't look any more 'tacked-on' than the ones on the Wrangler. Both vehicles look like they're wearing front flares intended for a totally different vehicle. Not a dealbreaker for me, though.
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 11.54.32 AM.png
A properly setup Wrangler with the right components does not drive like shit. The problem is that most drive their Jeep through a Quadratec catalog with a crap magnet and then wonder why it rides like shit. As for tech, I have all I need in my Wrangler and I definitely wouldn’t want some of the nanny off-road “features” the Bronco has. However, I can see their usefulness to tackle the fire trail/gravel road on the way to the weekend cabin. :tongue: :wink:
You're right about the modifications making them worse but my definition of 'drives like shit' in 2022 is basically going to include anything with a solid front axle and recirculating ball steering.
Looks aside since it is very subjective, the Bronco rides better onroad and it has better acceleration than the Wrangler, which fits the daily driving habits of most people. But for a more analog, reliable, easy to maintain, and superior off-roader, the Wrangler can’t be beat.
Just to be clear, I have no problem with the Wrangler existing and it certainly probably is the best place to start for someone that does lots of hardcore off-roading, but I don't think that describes as many of the buyers as Jeep would like to think, and I think that's the reason for the Bronco's popularity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By N_Jay
I think they were going for the look of the generic rubber extension people screwed onto old CJ fenders.
By tooloud10
A good friend has a Bronco reservation that he had been considering letting me have so I could order a Bronco Raptor for MSRP, and he just told me that it looks like the dealer gave his reservation to another customer for more money. He was pretty pissed.

Just another reminder that a reservation or the word of a dealer doesn't mean anything without a signed contract.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]