General discussions related to cars and driving
By amdavid
My wife thinks I'm absolutely psycho because I keep looking at the tires on this BMW SUV we walk by just about everyday and wonder wtf. My psycho label came when I took a picture of the tire as we walked by....and she asked, WHAT ARE YOU DOING DAVID?

Anyway, I was really curious why these tires (or tyres) have large chucks out of them and what causes this type of wear.

By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 pm My wife thinks I'm absolutely psycho because I keep looking at the tires on this BMW SUV we walk by just about everyday and wonder wtf. My psycho label came when I took a picture of the tire as we walked by....and she asked, WHAT ARE YOU DOING DAVID?

Anyway, I was really curious why these tires (or tyres) have large chucks out of them and what causes this type of wear.

I think it has to do with the negative camber of the suspension. The inner portion is going to wear out much faster so when that happens sometimes chunks come flying off.

I get frustrated with tire wear on both of my P-cars because the outside might seem fine but the inside is quite worn. I guess in this case the tires might be older (dry-rotted?) or they ride on rougher pavement causing chunking while the wear out.

But maybe we have a tire expert here who can shed light on it?
By amdavid
I've had plenty of cars running excessive negative camber and have never seen "tire chunks" come off because of it.....only the normal, as you mentioned, inside wear.
By SeanR
I’m guessing that’s a Michelin tire. Have had a ton of customers sweat by them but they all started to chunk so they just get warranty replacements and continue on.
By maddog2020
combination of what Sean said, old tires, and driving hard. BMW Suv's eat tires, and if you put old used tires on them this is what happens.
tooloud10, mussberger liked this
By eflight
No need to worry about those tires, they will all be in the ditch after the next rain storm
By Scott at Team Harco
amdavid wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 pm My wife thinks I'm absolutely psycho because I keep looking at the tires on this BMW SUV we walk by just about everyday and wonder wtf. My psycho label came when I took a picture of the tire as we walked by....and she asked, WHAT ARE YOU DOING DAVID?

Really? That tire looks as though it's shot.

What is the build date? How many miles?

Agree with eflight - who ever owns it will be in the ditch in the next rain.
By worf
Cracking between the tread block: age. Or compound giving up the ghost; I’ve see ‘accelerated’ cracking when summer compound tires are allow to go through many freeze thaw cycles.

Inside wear: camber and/or bad alignment. There’s damn little tread on that tire so calling it uneven is a stretch.

Chunking? Alignment, age, etc,

BMW Suv you say? My bet is it’s an “XM” something and those are 10 to 12-year old Summer tires that have been used in all seasons.
By amdavid
As Sean suggested, Michelin tires, and they’re probably as old and run down as the house it sits in front of....

I’ll get my girl riled up on next walk and take a pic of it in front of its home, and share. You all went through the trouble of answering....why not give beck with some visuals.

Conclusion.....old ass Michelin tires.
By eflight
My money is on a leased car

I'll bet the engine oil looks even worse
By amdavid
^^Nailed it, oil spots all over the ground where it parks.^^.........looks like a 2012ish, so probably not leased, but definitely trashed. I've been trying to get pic with suv in front of house, but again, my wife thinks I'm out of my mind. I did do a drive by and got a pic of the house recently, but car wasn't parked in front. I'll keep trying, just for the giggles.
By jcnesq
amdavid wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am ^^Nailed it, oil spots all over the ground where it parks.^^.........looks like a 2012ish, so probably not leased, but definitely trashed. I've been trying to get pic with suv in front of house, but again, my wife thinks I'm out of my mind. I did do a drive by and got a pic of the house recently, but car wasn't parked in front. I'll keep trying, just for the giggles.
Keep trying. And also get a pic of the date code. And maybe ask your wife to pose in one pic. Tell her she's hawt and that your lecherous friends on OR demand a pic. Maybe nudge her to do a nip slip?
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
jcnesq wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:47 pm
Keep trying. And also get a pic of the date code. And maybe ask your wife to pose in one pic. Tell her she's hawt and that your lecherous friends on OR demand a pic. Maybe nudge her to do a nip slip?
So we walked by said house yesterday and I told her how good she looked and that I wanted a pic of her in front of the Adams family (not Terry's!) house, she laughed and said, yeah, go ahead, get in front of the car/house and I'll take a pic of YOU....arg. I tried.

I did take a pic of the house last time I drove by....I know, not nearly as interesting as potential nip pic of wifey in front of the Adams family house.

By 3.2 Targa
I've seen chunking like that on pickups that drive on rocky roads and rough caliche-type roads.
By Chaos
Leave a note for the owner, those are dangerous…
By David993S
Bad camber alignment is part of the problem (can't tell if that was the inside or outside tread from the pic), but that's not what caused the cracking/chunking. tires are probably as old as Methuselah and hard as rocks. I agree it can be caused by temp changes and overheating can cause chunking. So they're probably under-inflated too. But most likely just age. Check the date code and see how old. That should be fun when the owner comes out and asks why you're looking at his tires that closely.
By mussberger
To say those tires are beyond their best by date is an understatement
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]