Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
I had planned on taking my son for the entire weekend but at the last moment he was invited to a neighbor's kid's birthday party. Since we're a small community and he plays with them all the time, it would be rude not to show up.

So it appears our Saturday is now booked but considering maybe heading up early on Sunday to see the conclusion of the race.

Anyone here going?
By jsabatini
Leaving early in the morning for the weekend with my son. Will send you a PM with my digits if you decide to come on Sunday, would love to meet and buy you a cold beverage for setting this place up. :beerchug:

And check out the last 2 laps of the Miata race today, what a great finish.

https://youtu.be/4KR47csl2L8
NSXguy liked this
By fpena944
jsabatini wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm Leaving early in the morning for the weekend with my son. Will send you a PM with my digits if you decide to come on Sunday, would love to meet and buy you a cold beverage for setting this place up. :beerchug:

That was UNBELIEVABLE racing!!! Wow that must have been a sight to see in real life. I would argue this is seems to be more exciting to watch than a lot of the stuff in the pro ranks. WOW!!!

I'm about 2 hours away so I'll just have to see if my boy is up to it and if the wife approves. I'll PM you my # right now.

Have fun!
By Gator_86_951
Considered it, but decided against it because of all the distancing rules. If more local like you guys, for sure. But this is an airplane ride deal for me into Tally and then driving with BIL. Do keep in mind the distancing protocol and access to the in-field before you go. It is always a great event either way. Especially because of all those glorious clean terlets in the grandstands, which are AMAZING compared to any other racing event in the world.
By fpena944
Gator_86_951 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:55 am Considered it, but decided against it because of all the distancing rules. If more local like you guys, for sure. But this is an airplane ride deal for me into Tally and then driving with BIL. Do keep in mind the distancing protocol and access to the in-field before you go. It is always a great event either way. Especially because of all those glorious clean terlets in the grandstands, which are AMAZING compared to any other racing event in the world.
That's one reason I'm not as upset about not being able to attend the whole event. This will be the first time in the last three years though that I won't be in a corporate suite.

But yeah it's going to be more subdued and access will be restricted. Still comparing this track to Sebring, this is like the Trump Tower to a trailer park.

Next year I threw out the idea that we'll rent an RV and camp in the infield. Anyone know how far in advance those tickets sell out?
By linderpat
jsabatini wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm Leaving early in the morning for the weekend with my son. Will send you a PM with my digits if you decide to come on Sunday, would love to meet and buy you a cold beverage for setting this place up. :beerchug:

With my best Scottish accent - "I got no clu, no clu at all...." :rockon:

Will Porsche have anything at Daytona this year, now that they've dropped IMSA and WEC?
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:59 am

With my best Scottish accent - "I got no clu, no clu at all...." :rockon:

Will Porsche have anything at Daytona this year, now that they've dropped IMSA and WEC?
Porsche itself won't have any cars there but some privateers are running 911s this year. I think 3-4 in total will be racing. Even Patrick Long will be behind the wheel of one of them!

https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/01/27/59 ... m-by-team/
linderpat liked this
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 pm Some Daytona atmosphere
I like how every dude basically has their tongue hanging out of their mouth! :tongue:

Not sure how festive it will be this year with restrictions in place. Sebring didn't feel too affected by everything but with Daytona being on a different level we'll see if it changes anything.

Trying to decide on whether to bring the CTT or the 996 for the trip. Will take me about 2 hours each way and we plan on driving up and heading back afterwards.
By fpena944
I can't believe one of the few 911s got hit right when the green flag came out. WTF?!?
By linderpat
Yeah, and by a freakin Beamer too😤
Not much Porsche presence. Also I don’t see Dempsey Racing on the bill either
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:30 pm Yeah, and by a freakin Beamer too😤
Not much Porsche presence. Also I don’t see Dempsey Racing on the bill either
Insert BMW driver joke right here...

Planning on heading up tomorrow to watch the end of the race so I'll take some pics.
By jsabatini
In spite of the CHINA VIRUS it was a great weekend. Great weather all weekend and great racing except for the fucking Bimmer spinning the Porsche out before the start of the race.

No factory 911 in the GTLM class so Weathertech entered I guess it is last years factory 911 in the GTLM class and they were on pace with the other 5 GTLM cars. After being spun by the Bimmer before the start they spent 20 minute in the pits for repairs and came back out 10 or 11 laps down and they finished around 9 laps down and on pace with the others.

In GTD there were 3 or 4 911's, not sure how they did.

They pushed the start back to 3:40 so we had to leave before the end to get home but listened and monitored the race on our way back. Great battle for the overall win.

Lower capacity because of the CHINA VIRUS so that was strange. Funny at the entrance they had the thermometers to check our temps as we entered but more often than not they did not check. It was a great father-son weekend.
By fpena944
jsabatini wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:53 pm In spite of the CHINA VIRUS it was a great weekend. Great weather all weekend and great racing except for the fucking Bimmer spinning the Porsche out before the start of the race.

No factory 911 in the GTLM class so Weathertech entered I guess it is last years factory 911 in the GTLM class and they were on pace with the other 5 GTLM cars. After being spun by the Bimmer before the start they spent 20 minute in the pits for repairs and came back out 10 or 11 laps down and they finished around 9 laps down and on pace with the others.

In GTD there were 3 or 4 911's, not sure how they did.

They pushed the start back to 3:40 so we had to leave before the end to get home but listened and monitored the race on our way back. Great battle for the overall win.

Lower capacity because of the CHINA VIRUS so that was strange. Funny at the entrance they had the thermometers to check our temps as we entered but more often than not they did not check. It was a great father-son weekend.
Sorry we couldn't meet up but honestly I don't know how much conversation we would have been able to have since it's so loud there! We stayed about 4 hours today and my son enjoyed it too. Left with about 30 minutes to go as I didn't want to get stuck in traffic at the end of the race. I guess we'll find another event to meet where there's an opportunity to catch up.

I took some pics, not a lot though because every 30 seconds my kid was tugging on my arm asking a question so hard to take shots that way! :biggrin:

I'll post a link once I'm done uploading.
By jsabatini
fpena944 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:42 pm Sorry we couldn't meet up but honestly I don't know how much conversation we would have been able to have since it's so loud there! We stayed about 4 hours today and my son enjoyed it too. Left with about 30 minutes to go as I didn't want to get stuck in traffic at the end of the race. I guess we'll find another event to meet where there's an opportunity to catch up.

I took some pics, not a lot though because every 30 seconds my kid was tugging on my arm asking a question so hard to take shots that way! :biggrin:

I'll post a link once I'm done uploading.
Glad your son liked it. Started taking Cooper to Sebring in 2015 when he was 10 and this was our 4th year going to Daytona. Coop took a ton of pictures, just not sure when he will get them sorted.

Did you make it to the Porsche Corral and get the PCA Goodie bag? If so, we probably just missed each other. Coop and I were in the tent off and on yesterday and today handing out the "Survival Kit" but we left around 12:30ish because we were wiped out. We were at the track all day Friday, all day Saturday until 1:30 AM Sunday, and then back around 8:00 am this morning. Plus he had to get home and do some homework.

Yep, conversation is a little difficult during the race. We will be at Sebring for several days in March if you go then.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]