By fpena944
I know we've talked about VW Corrados a bit in the past but ran across this one today that does an 8 second run. Check out the engine and the wild front end. Not the prettiest but sure seems to do the job!

https://youtu.be/bbNNS_jYfco
TheDeckMan, Flat6Noise liked this
By TheDeckMan
One fast Corrado! VR6's are boost containers for sure with stock bottom ends good for 700-800hp with just ARP rod bolts and ARP head studs. Speaking of which I have been contemplating tossing some boost at mine, since it will take about 6 hours to bolt on 250whp into a 2300lb car :burnout:
By FlatSix
TheDeckMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:55 pm One fast Corrado! VR6's are boost containers for sure with stock bottom ends good for 700-800hp with just ARP rod bolts and ARP head studs. Speaking of which I have been contemplating tossing some boost at mine, since it will take about 6 hours to bolt on 250whp into a 2300lb car :burnout:
Can you do this to a GTI and if so which version had this engine? That sounds like the poor man's Golf R killer.
By fpena944
My Corrado knowledge is kind of from a long time ago but I thought only the G60 could be easily modified? Is the VR6 that easy to upgrade as well?
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 pm My Corrado knowledge is kind of from a long time ago but I thought only the G60 could be easily modified? Is the VR6 that easy to upgrade as well?
G60 was the tuners choice initially until turbo setups became more widely available in the early 2000's. Basic turbo kit these days is about 3-4k with intercooler/software to throw down over 400hp at the motor. Of course once you cross 300whp a LSD is a solid investment which can be installed without super crazy technical experience.

The G60's often were a problem with the chargers being over spun and results in them blowing up, so many were swapped to VR6's for reliability over the years.
FlatSix wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:26 pm Can you do this to a GTI and if so which version had this engine? That sounds like the poor man's Golf R killer.
Mk3 VR6's made from 1995-1998 as well as both 2000-2004 MK4 VR6's in the 12v and 24v. Takes a little while more on some of the newer VR6's but overall the biggest hurdle is to put a heavier clutch setup in. My Corrado is a freak as it has standalone and just about anything that is not needed removed. It takes a little longer to do a turbo setup on a MK3 GTi/Jetta that does not have head studs as you have to deal with bolts ect, but normally use to turbo a car with a upgraded clutch in a weekend to go from 172hp at the motor to 375whp :rockon:
By TheDeckMan
Buddies Corrado JE Pistons, bigger turbo and lots of fuel/standalone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjFDzpKuVoY

He is running a real fast Mk3 Golf VRT now as turning the Corrado back to more street driving.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thecorradokid24i/videos
By fpena944
Wow! :rockon:

So they seem to make terrific dragsters, anyone having success using them as track or DE cars?
By TheDeckMan
Driven this one of my buddies at LRP who uses it entirely as a track car for 20 years. 1.8t powered car weighing in at 2200lbs, it is quick running 1:02's on street R-Comps. Enough to give just about most Porsche/Vette/BMW guys a good solid run for the money. It is a hoot to drive on the street.
fpena944 liked this
By FlatSix
I would have thought that so much HP and the torque that goes with all that boost would be unmanageable in a FWD car. How does that work?
By TheDeckMan
FlatSix wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm I would have thought that so much HP and the torque that goes with all that boost would be unmanageable in a FWD car. How does that work?
Like driving a 935 ish.....

Boost then lots of brakes, lift throttle to rotate rear. Point and squeeze the power trigger. Repeat.
New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

I've got the P Zero Rossos, which I'm happy with. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]

Thanks for getting back to us.

good forum "engine"

was busy typing a response to a question :typin[…]