General discussions related to cars and driving
By Fox_
I've been wanting to consolidate to one vehicle for awhile now. I'm bored with the 928 after five years. I've been happy with my Q5 the last three years, but I'm not sure how much longer I want to keep it. The interior seems to fall apart on these cars as they age. I also took a big depreciation hit on the Q5 even buying used.

What's interesting in the $30K range? What badly depreciated luxury car can I bottom feed on? Something I can daily drive, leave outside, and have it be somewhat practical.

Occasionally a wide body 996 dips down into my budget.

The c63 AMG

What else?
By XR4Tim
There's a lot of good stuff out there in the $30k range. I have a 2010 Audi S6, which is very reliable, fun and comfortable. A really nice, low-mile example might touch $20k. My next purchase will be a 2003-2006 E55 AMG. Those will be mid-$20ks for a really nice example or up toward $30k if you find a wagon. A 996 isn't a bad choice. A Cayenne Turbo isn't a terrible option either (I prefer the 957 Turbo S), but it is more likely to nickle & dime you than the others I mentioned.
By Fox_
I like the v10 in the S6, but I've heard of reliability issues. I really like the v10, don't like air suspension. :jumper: As well the nice-but-built-to-a-cost fragile interior of the Audi cars concerns me. The vinyl has already torn on my Q5 on the arm rest where I put my elbow.

The cayenne, I looked at them last time and bought a Q5 instead.

I'm looking for more of a sports oriented car this time around.
By lupo.sk
Then go for an S4 with the 3.0 V6T. I have a 2013 S5 sportback for DD, not sure they were available in the US. It’s a liftback so very usable.

APR tune it and you have an 11s 1/4 mile DD AWD car.
By Fox_
lupo.sk wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:49 pm Then go for an S4 with the 3.0 V6T. I have a 2013 S5 sportback for DD, not sure they were available in the US. It’s a liftback so very usable.

APR tune it and you have an 11s 1/4 mile DD AWD car.
I've already got the 3.0T in the Q5.

I got the Q5 over the S4 as I thought it'd be slightly more practical, it's not. At the time I bought it I was also occasionally having to take a personal vehicle to offroad job sites, no longer an issue.

It's a shame they didn't start selling the Sportback in the USA until 2018.

Might move to another Audi. Might just say fuck it and keep the Q5. It's the "one" to have, outside of the SQ5. The 3.0T with the S-Line package, only missing the flat bottom steering wheel.
By XR4Tim
Fox_ wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:28 pm I like the v10 in the S6, but I've heard of reliability issues. I really like the v10, don't like air suspension. :jumper: As well the nice-but-built-to-a-cost fragile interior of the Audi cars concerns me. The vinyl has already torn on my Q5 on the arm rest where I put my elbow.

The two issues you'll have with the V10 are carbon buildup on the valves (as with any direct injected Audi), and occasionally I've heard of the intake manifold flapper failing. I've got a spare intake just in case. For the carbon, you'll have to pull the intake manifold and clean the valves every 60ish thousand miles, or install meth injection and it will clean them on it's own. There's no air suspension on the S6.

If you want a little sportier, the B7 RS4 is good fun, but you'll have hydraulic suspension, and the 4.2 is an even tighter fit in that engine bay than the 5.2 in the S6.
By Fox_
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:27 pm
Fox_ wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:28 pm I like the v10 in the S6, but I've heard of reliability issues. I really like the v10, don't like air suspension. :jumper: As well the nice-but-built-to-a-cost fragile interior of the Audi cars concerns me. The vinyl has already torn on my Q5 on the arm rest where I put my elbow.

The two issues you'll have with the V10 are carbon buildup on the valves (as with any direct injected Audi), and occasionally I've heard of the intake manifold flapper failing. I've got a spare intake just in case. For the carbon, you'll have to pull the intake manifold and clean the valves every 60ish thousand miles, or install meth injection and it will clean them on it's own. There's no air suspension on the S6.

If you want a little sportier, the B7 RS4 is good fun, but you'll have hydraulic suspension, and the 4.2 is an even tighter fit in that engine bay than the 5.2 in the S6.
Some certainly do have air suspension.

What about the Panamera? Any of those in that range that are decent?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264998727095

Quick search says maybe.
By linderpat
What experience are you looking for? I love my 928's, but I also love my 997.1. You can get a very good one in that price range.
By TheDeckMan
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
High Mileage 996tt
Bentley Continental GT
S5 3.0t
TT-RS
By Fox_
TheDeckMan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:06 pm Aston Martin V8 Vantage
High Mileage 996tt
Bentley Continental GT
S5 3.0t
TT-RS
Aston Martin. Amazing looking cars, don't think I could get a manual in my price range. Autos had issues?

996 Turbos seem to be appreciating if anything, still $50K cars, no?

I saw an S5 yesterday. I like them, would rather have the Sportback. However, I have 90% of an S5 in the Q5 I already have.

I like the five cylinders in the TT-RS, could never shake the feeling I was driving a New Beetle. :hiding:
linderpat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm What experience are you looking for? I love my 928's, but I also love my 997.1. You can get a very good one in that price range.

I saw a video of guys taking 996 C4s and stripping out the AWD to make a widebody 992 C2. I really liked that idea. I'm not a fan of the narrow body 996s, but the wide bodies are another story.

When looking into that, I did some research on the IMS solutions for these cars. The 997.1s are engine out to address this?
By TheDeckMan
Mid 30's AMV8's can be had in manuals, just have to hunt around. Inflation this year has pushed them up like everything else but there are still deals out there similar to 996 Turbos.

The 997 4S uses the same front diff setup as a 996tt/4s so you can convert them to RWD wide bodies. For 10-15k you can get a really clean MK1 TT which is way more special than a TT-RS with some simple mods. 30's to 40 gets you into other fun things like a Lotus Esprit from what I have seen.
By linderpat
Fox_ wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:28 pm
When looking into that, I did some research on the IMS solutions for these cars. The 997.1s are engine out to address this?
Depends - the 05's are not engine out, you can change it by accessing through the rear, which is fairly easy. The 06's and beyond through 08 are engine out, but have a much more robust bearing, so nobody changes it, as failure rate is very low. Note, there is a serial number break where this occurred, and some 06's could have the earlier style bearing. The early builds.
By Fox_
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 am Mid 30's AMV8's can be had in manuals, just have to hunt around. Inflation this year has pushed them up like everything else but there are still deals out there similar to 996 Turbos.

The 997 4S uses the same front diff setup as a 996tt/4s so you can convert them to RWD wide bodies. For 10-15k you can get a really clean MK1 TT which is way more special than a TT-RS with some simple mods. 30's to 40 gets you into other fun things like a Lotus Esprit from what I have seen.
The later V8 Esprit looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/oFLlnkEpdNk
linderpat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am Depends - the 05's are not engine out, you can change it by accessing through the rear, which is fairly easy. The 06's and beyond through 08 are engine out, but have a much more robust bearing, so nobody changes it, as failure rate is very low. Note, there is a serial number break where this occurred, and some 06's could have the earlier style bearing. The early builds.
Interesting, thanks.
By FlatSix
linderpat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm What experience are you looking for? I love my 928's, but I also love my 997.1. You can get a very good one in that price range.
Any 3x5 card sized points on how to avoid the dreaded IMS explosion? I'd be happy with a three pedal 997.1 from a performance perspective but feel like I don't know how to avoid a bad one. [edit: whoops I see you did this; thanks]

To the original topic, I like a lot of Audis but they are not good cars with high miles; the electronics are a disaster waiting to happen, too many plastic parts in the engine compartment, and the interior leather is wafer thin.

996.2 cars are great performance for the dollar cars. Any v8 mercedes is going to be fun to drive and pretty reliable, especially the AMG cars. (E550s, e.g.).
By linderpat
FlatSix wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Any 3x5 card sized points on how to avoid the dreaded IMS explosion? I'd be happy with a three pedal 997.1 from a performance perspective but feel like I don't know how to avoid a bad one. [edit: whoops I see you did this; thanks]

To the original topic, I like a lot of Audis but they are not good cars with high miles; the electronics are a disaster waiting to happen, too many plastic parts in the engine compartment, and the interior leather is wafer thin.

996.2 cars are great performance for the dollar cars. Any v8 mercedes is going to be fun to drive and pretty reliable, especially the AMG cars. (E550s, e.g.).
Actually, the 997's regardless of iteration are getting harder to get at reasonable prices. But the IMS is an easily and fairly inexpensive (in the grand scheme of things) in the 05, and something not to worry about in the 06 and beyond.
By FlatSix
@linderpat And I've noticed that it's getting harder and harder to find any 997 in a non-boring color.
By linderpat
FlatSix wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:40 pm @linderpat And I've noticed that it's getting harder and harder to find any 997 in a non-boring color.
Agree. I'm not a fan of ubiquitous whites, blacks and silvers. Mine is slate gray, which is okay, but I have a full leather terra cotta interior that just pops, especially against the slate gray. Also, you can always wrap. Personally, guards red is one of my favorite Porsche colors, although many do not care for it. My 85 928 is guards red.
By FlatSix
@linderpat If I recall correctly, Slate was a non-standard gray on the 997 (Weren't Seal and Meteor the standard grays?) and look great with the brown/TC/sand interiors.

If I found a Dark Olive Metallic 997.1 these days, I think I'd go for it. Very cool color but unloved by the people more worried about resale value and leasing managers.
By linderpat
yes, I think that's correct. It is a bit darker than meteor metallic gray. Here's a picture of it:

Also, dark olive would be gorgeous. I like colors too, and most anything in the green palate.
amdavid liked this
By David993S
A well-maintained SL500 would easily be in your budget range, and they are great cars. I recently bought a newer SL550 and can't believe I didn't buy one long ago. It's an amazing machine. Here's mine:
amdavid liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]