Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Fox_
I've got an annoying vibration/feedback in the steering wheel at around 80mph.

All four wheels have been road force balanced on a hunter machine.

I'd lost tape weights on the rears. That fixed a vibration I was getting from the rear, now my attention is focused on the front. To me, it's very specifically coming from the front and through the steering wheel. The vibration due to the lost tape weight in the rear was noticeably different.

I'm going to check the wheel bearings again this afternoon.

Had anyone else solved a similar issue?
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:53 pm Had anyone else solved a similar issue?

Often.

Download my inspection guide (URL in signature block), follow directions for testing ball joints for steering rack and a-arms.

You’ll need ramps, or a 4-post and a helper; Suspension *must* be loaded.

My bet is worn inner tie-rod ball joints and alignment.
By Fox_
Wheel bearings(so far).

Surprised they didn't make noticeable noise.
By Fox_
Changed wheel bearings, major improvement.

Both sides were clicky, appeared to have been done before, and I could not see any noticable wear on the bearings. No bearing noise. Makes me wonder if I could have got away with just tightening them.

Driver side spindle was almost perfect, passenger side had grooves that were barely visible, but couldn't feel them. Inner race didn't wiggle.

Hub was well designed, easy to work on. Honestly, the whole assembly was a dream. From the trap door for the pads, the easy to access caliper mounting bolts, to the access cut outs in the hub.

The only thing that really fought me was one stubborn caliper screw, even with an impact driver, pb blaster, and heat didn't want to budge.
By MFranke
I've always been impressed how rock solid a 928 is at speed. There should really be no steering vibration at 80 mph. Glad you found the bearings needed snugged. Not always as easy to see, but another culprit for vibration can be the rubber rack bushings, which can degrade from exposure over time.
Racing garments

Let me call my son ~ you can never have too many […]

Rear Brake line Seized

Now I will need to pass the new right line over […]

my #3 restoration thread

many thanks Dave, its for the 87 S4. pet shows u[…]

what does anybody use for an auto box sump plug as[…]