By AKSteve
Now this looks fun! 0-60 in 4.5sec in a Wrangler? Yes, please.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-je ... ok-review/
By tooloud10
While I do enjoy FCA's recent antics of simply stuffing the largest engine they can in every vehicle they make, the Wranglers I've been in don't seem like they would benefit from more speed. :hiding:
By N_Jay
I remember the first V8 CJ-5s from back in my Jeeping days.

Pick your foot off the gas too fast in a manual and the rear end would skid and swing.
You didn't even have to be in a corner. No weight on the rear wheels and and way too much deceleration torque.

Of course for those crazier (and richer) than me, the AMC 304, 360, and 390 engines all shared the same block, so with very little work, after finding a 390 Ambassadors or Javelin (Or police Matador) in the junk yard you could have a 390ci CJ!
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
Drove a CJ5 for years, loved that thing. Straight 6 was the best motor for the CJ's. The V8's were too much motor for that 4x4. Although I a lot of fun breaking driveshafts and getting those V8's to "wheelie".
By N_Jay
amdavid wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:22 pm Drove a CJ5 for years, loved that thing. Straight 6 was the best motor for the CJ's. The V8's were too much motor for that 4x4. Although I a lot of fun breaking driveshafts and getting those V8's to "wheelie".
Don't forget the underpowered but unbreakable slant 152 (literally 1/2 a 304 V8) It even used the same distributor with half the lobes and half the wire posts gone.

I forget whose Straight 6 went in after the old flathead Willies/Ford unit.
By AKSteve
I have a 2012 Rubicon that I keep down at our fishing spot these days. It used to be my daily driver before I got my Ford Raptor. It's a lot of fun to drive, but could definitely use some more power, especially on the highway. I'll wait to read the reviews on the new 392, but I'll bet it's a blast to drive.
By DAVfoto
New jeeps apparently have better highway and road manners than JKs did. I'm sure we will see some sort of hellcat version at some point with 37s or 40s and Dana60 axles front and a Dana70 rear or something along those lines..
By Cuda911
I think my Jeep does 0 to 60 in 58 seconds. Downhill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:42 am I think my Jeep does 0 to 60 in 58 seconds. Downhill.
I need one of those for the beach. Once sand gets in the Cayenne it's impossible to get it all out.

As for the V8, I think with the latest generation the wheelbase is stretched out so it shouldn't be a problem. But the smaller models could be quite a handful with that power and high center of gravity.
By JDS968
The 392 is only available in the 4 door, not the 2 door, so no SWB shenanigans. The Jeep CJ-5 with the 304 V8 had an 83.5 inch wheelbase, compared to the Wrangler 392 with a 118.4 inch wheelbase. That's almost three feet longer.

I've also heard stories about people putting 426 Hemis in earlier CJ-5s (81 inch wheelbase) in the 1960s and immediately rolling themselves over.

I actually got to check one out in person the week we announced it, one of the SRT engineers I know was driving it around the first floor of the Chrysler Tech Center and we got to talking. I'd rather have a diesel, but it's a VERY cool truck either way.
By LPMM
Someone say V8 Wrangler? They are fantastic! Here's my old 2005 LJ, 5.7 Hemi, 18" coilovers, custom long arm, D60s F&R w/ ARBs, rear axle and gas tank relocated back, hydraulic steering, 40" MTRs, yadi, yadi, yada... There is nothing like flying up Vail and Eisenhower passes in a snow storm while everyone else is stopping to put chains on. Should have never sold it. :bigcry:
154_1007_01+2005_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+rock_crawling.jpg
P1010346.jpg

My 2014 JK is not as radical, Rubicon with some bolt ons and 35s, however thinking very hard about doing a Hemi conversion.
IMG_20200416_085904.jpg
AKSteve wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:07 am Now this looks fun! 0-60 in 4.5sec in a Wrangler? Yes, please.
I wish they would offer a 5.7, it would be a lot more affordable and plenty of power to move the JL. I am sure the 392 JL is nice, but I suspect its pricing will be in the stratosphere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
LPMM wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 pm Someone say V8 Wrangler? They are fantastic! Here's my old 2005 LJ, 5.7 Hemi, 18" coilovers, custom long arm, D60s F&R w/ ARBs, rear axle and gas tank relocated back, hydraulic steering, 40" MTRs, yadi, yadi, yada... There is nothing like flying up Vail and Eisenhower passes in a snow storm while everyone else is stopping to put chains on. Should have never sold it. :bigcry:

154_1007_01+2005_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+rock_crawling.jpg

P1010346.jpg

My 2014 JK is not as radical, Rubicon with some bolt ons and 35s, however thinking very hard about doing a Hemi conversion.

IMG_20200416_085904.jpg

AKSteve wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:07 am Now this looks fun! 0-60 in 4.5sec in a Wrangler? Yes, please.
I wish they would offer a 5.7, it would be a lot more affordable and plenty of power to move the JL. I am sure the 392 JL is nice, but I suspect its pricing will be in the stratosphere.
Wow what is the suspension travel on that thing?!?
By tooloud10
LPMM wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 pm I wish they would offer a 5.7, it would be a lot more affordable and plenty of power to move the JL. I am sure the 392 JL is nice, but I suspect its pricing will be in the stratosphere.
The regular 5.7 Hemi makes way more sense to me in the Wrangler than the 392 engine does. I suspect the customer take rate would be significantly higher, too.
By LPMM
fpena944 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 pm Wow what is the suspension travel on that thing?!?
I can’t remember the exact numbers, but the travel was insane. Sway-A-Way 18” coilovers on custom mounts.
tooloud10 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:47 pm
LPMM wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 pm I wish they would offer a 5.7, it would be a lot more affordable and plenty of power to move the JL. I am sure the 392 JL is nice, but I suspect its pricing will be in the stratosphere.
The regular 5.7 Hemi makes way more sense to me in the Wrangler than the 392 engine does. I suspect the customer take rate would be significantly higher, too.
Exactly.
By Streck-Fu
SeanR wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:26 pm With the diesel version out I really wouldn't want more power than that. That thing scoots already.
It is sad that a 3.0 diesel Rubicon is $60k .... I'd love one but that is rich indeed.
By LPMM
tooloud10 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm It's a no for me, dawg.
Agreed. The hood is hideous, the engine ridiculous, and the price insane. Not to mention some idiotic designs like the quad exhaust below the bumper that will get pancaked the first time the Jeep goes rock crawling; or the 2” taller ride height with, wait for it, puny 33” tires; and no Dana 60s? :lol2:

I am sure they will sell them but a standard Rubi with a 5.7L would have been better suited, better looking, easier on the wallet, and have the same sell through or better. I’ve had a Wrangler (CJs, YJs, TJs, LJs, JKU) for the past 25 years but I am at a point to either drop a 5.7L in my JKU, or sell it and leave the brand.

I don’t know why they keep dropping in these ridiculous engines that do nothing but raise the price into the stratosphere. Same with the Ram TRX which I was contemplating, but 700hp seriously? and the price is stupid crazy for a truck. I love the looks of the truck, but no thanks.
By Streck-Fu
"Not to mention some idiotic designs like the quad exhaust below the bumper that will get pancaked the first time the Jeep goes rock crawlin"

You write that as though you expect people to actually rock crawl an $80k Wrangler.

I totally agree with your assessment in that a 5.7 driven Wrangler would be both, more practical and sell a shitload more. maybe Jeep plans for the 392 to be the lead for attention and 5.7 models will follow.

Pick a slightly used JK and call these guys.... https://www.rubitrux.com/wrangler-jl-jk ... swaps.html
By JustBud
I'd buy one if I could choose "the Boss" option.........having Springsteen strapped around one of the tires. :biggrin:
By N_Jay
I'll take a pre-AMC CJ-5 or CJ-6 and build from there.
By AKSteve
These are trickling into dealerships now. The price is crazy ($75k+), but it's actually got me kind of tempted. Huge upgrade over my 2012 Rubicon. I REALLY want that sky one-touch sunroof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7OrIur8jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszUky4GtTQ
By Streck-Fu
This discusses some of the engineering decisions made in the development. Pretty neat to learn about the water mitigation approach.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/wr ... ve-review/
By SeanR
If I were to spend $65-$75 on a jeep I'd just get the diesel version and kit it out. Buddy of mine bought a 2020 and that thing is powerful, comfortable and does everything I'd ever want in a jeep.
image.png
image.png
image.png
By AKSteve
I'm leaning in the direction of getting one of these. I'm really happy with my other vehicles that I currently own and don't see a reason to upgrade any of them at the moment. But my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is 10 years old. Still, it's an awful lot of money for a Jeep and I won't pay any kind of markup. Hopefully I can find one locally at one of the dealerships, but I'm not against getting one out of state and driving it back up to Alaska. Is Canada cool now with letting people in if they've been vaccinated?
By Gregs04.5
I priced one at $77k, want to pull the trigger on it, but that's a lot of money for a Jeep.
By AKSteve
It's just such a tempting indulgence. And MotorTrend says 0-60 in 4.2 sec....

The best Wrangler you can buy today: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/w ... st-review/
By DAVfoto
AKSteve wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 am It's just such a tempting indulgence. And MotorTrend says 0-60 in 4.2 sec....

The best Wrangler you can buy today: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/w ... st-review/
Interesting, same engine as the base Jeep GC SRT right? That only gets to about 4.6 ish 0-60, a Jeep on thicker tires and solid axles I feel like would be hard to get it faster than a GC SRT.
By AKSteve
DAVfoto wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:36 pm
AKSteve wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 am It's just such a tempting indulgence. And MotorTrend says 0-60 in 4.2 sec....

Interesting, same engine as the base Jeep GC SRT right? That only gets to about 4.6 ish 0-60, a Jeep on thicker tires and solid axles I feel like would be hard to get it faster than a GC SRT.
Lighter maybe? I don't know if you've ever owned a Jeep Wrangler, but they kind of feel like vehicles you could assemble at home with some time off.
By N_Jay
AKSteve wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:39 pm
Lighter maybe? I don't know if you've ever owned a Jeep Wrangler, but they kind of feel like vehicles you could assemble at home with some time off.
I think you are on top something.

They should offer a Jeep in kit form!
By AKSteve
These things are all over on CarGurus.com, but when you go to an actual dealership's website, they don't show anything in stock. I tried Jeep.com, but you can't really do a nationwide search from that site, only 250 mile radius from a zip code. Anyway, it's starting to look like this model might be a tough buy. I just found one in stock at a Puyallup, WA dealership, marked up by.... $25k!
By Fox_
Does it still have toothpick axles?

At the posers in jeeps with massive tires on the stock axles going down the road is a good laugh.
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]