8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By checkmate1996
After trying different things to cure pod lighting problem eg paint the mirrors silver, putting tinfoil on the mirrors, purchasing various led bulbs that don’t fit or wrong polarity or tired of the having those 3w bulbs consuming a lot of energy and giving off a lot of heat or potentiometer problems I decided to try this solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-928-94 ... 632-2357-0

The package arrived within a week and contents were well packaged. Instructions had misspellings and grammar issues. Overall, poorly written. Like step 1: remove pod. Step 2 insert new ones. Ok. A little exaggerating with step 2. First thing I noticed is they did not fit my test 79 gauge cluster however they did fit my 85. I’m guessing 80 and up pre-digital dash would work. Moving on.

Next thing was to take a 9/64 drill bill and ever so slightly drill out each six posts holding the mirror. You only have to drill just enough for the plastic to get below surface of the mount. So basically like a few seconds worth. Then using a very small flat blade screwdriver, pop each side off. Rinse and repeat two more times. Then wirh a 7/64 bit, so the same with the small black plastic light bulb covers.

Picture of existing mirror showing light transfer.

Ok. Clean the area with alcohol or other cleaner to get a clean surface. Now mount the three LEDs with the supplied double sided tape. You may need to take a small flat blade and slight expand the original bulb receptacle just a bit for the led ends. You will also need to check polarity after installation.

Bench test sample:
LED OFF
Ambient light with Led lighting on
Minimal ambient lighting
No ambient light

Overall, I think I’m pleased so far. Still need to see installed in car… more to come…
By Addlight
Thanks! Do you know or have you tested how this setup will work with the rheostat? I'm curious whether it will go from dim to bright. Of course, if it isn't very right to begin with it won't matter.

This setup looks interesting, but a little janky/homemade, so I will be curious as to how it holds up. I assume that the old socket is now wired to a a few LEDs or a strip in the slot where the diffused light used to escape into the gauge cluster. Is there any sort of diffuser over those lights that helps spread the light evenly?

In any case, this has gotten my juices flowing to experiment on my spare cluster and see if I can improve the lighting.

Matt
By checkmate1996
Unless you buy an LED digital rheostat then yes it’s no longer valid. Although I have to say in person it’s not too bright or too soft. Actually these are not jenky. He uses a similar glass diffuser wirh the LED Built Into it. It slides right into the existing diffuser slots. Each pair of reb/black wire goes into the old bulb with the exact same fitting an OEM bulb. Personally I think it’s well done.

Hearing things like this make me really glad I wen[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]