8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
I thought I’d start a favorite tool of the day thread. Lots of cool stuff out there and they don’t have to be expensive as long as they get the job done.

This is a kit to be able to trouble shoot spark, and set ignition timing on cars with recessed spark plugs.

It gives you the ability to get a timing light on a lead, and it also has a little light bulb in it to blink so you could trouble shoot coil on plug or plug wires.

Summit racing $25

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sng-23970
By worf
I have a lot of favorite tools.

I get a lot of use out of my Wera ratcheting screw driver with it's integrated "magazine" of bits.

https://products.wera.de/en/kraftform_k ... b_sis.html
By worf
Haahahaha…. Sterling? Bertrand just called you a tool. :roflmao:

Wait… :cussing:

Might not mean exactly what you think it does in modern interweb speak.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tool

Or maybe Bertrand knows exactly what he means. :roflmao:
By worf
Really? I just did a search.

Don't be a tool. Post the URL to this solid cool tool thread.
By N_Jay
I hope I am doing this right
image.png
Oops! Sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by N_Jay on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
checkmate1996 liked this
By Addlight
I just got an ozone generator in hopes of finally getting rid of the stale, faint cigarette smell from the previous owner of my son's car. It was a bit of a flier, since some people seem to believe they are miracle workers to the point they sound ridiculous.

It's not, but for $50 it is pretty damn good at demolishing old odors. The smoke smell was gone after a half hour of running. I ran it in the room my dogs sleep in and it got rid of old, dirty dog. Pretty simple to use, set it, leave the room and close it off, let it run for a while then let the ozone half-life itself into a negligible amount before going back in the room (or car).

Way better than all the sprays and air fresheners.

Matt
Last edited by Addlight on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Addlight
N_Jay wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm I hope I am doing this right
Probably not if you're bringing politics into a thread that isn't about politics.

Matt
By N_Jay
Addlight wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 pm I just got an ozone generator in hopes of finally getting rid of the stale, faint cigarette smell from the previous owner of my son's car. It was a bit of a flier, since some people seem to believe they are miracle workers to the point they sound ridiculous.

It's not, but for $50 it is pretty damn good at demolishing old odors. The smoke smell was gone after a half hour of running. I ran it in the room my dogs sleep in and it got rid of old, dirty dog. Pretty simple to use, set it, leave the room and close it off, let it run for a while then let the ozone half-life itself into a negligible amount before going back in the room (or car).

Matt

$50 sounds like a deal.

Might be worth it to get eh musty smell out of my old Touareg now that I have finally fixed the roof leaks.
By N_Jay
Addlight wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:44 pm
N_Jay wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm I hope I am doing this right
Probably not if you're bringing politics into a thread that isn't about politics.

Matt
Sorry, did not see it was in the 928 Forum.

Well in that case, I'll have to wait till I can get back to working on my car.
Addlight liked this
By Hey_Allen
N_Jay wrote:
Addlight wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 pm I just got an ozone generator in hopes of finally getting rid of the stale, faint cigarette smell from the previous owner of my son's car. It was a bit of a flier, since some people seem to believe they are miracle workers to the point they sound ridiculous.

Matt

$50 sounds like a deal.

Might be worth it to get eh musty smell out of my old Touareg now that I have finally fixed the roof leaks.
Just a quick word of warning on ozone generators, and the ozone that they produce.
You don't want to be breathing any significant quantity of it, as it will degrade your respiratory system just as easily as it will eliminate odors.

I bought a couple of small battery powered ones, normally intended for refrigerator deodorizing purposes.
One went in the fridge, the other I decided to use in my room, since the central heating blower hasn't been on this summer, and the room was a little musty due to lack of air flow.

I didn't think anything of it when I went to bed a few hours later, until I woke up in the early morning, nauseous, itchy eyed, and hoarse in the throat. I heard the ozone generator turn on again (timer based operation on the battery powered ones I purchased) and turned it off.
The next morning I thought to do a check on symptoms of ozone inhalation, and I had most of the list, at least at low levels, and a slight cough that is still around a couple of weeks later.

Don't take this as a "don't buy or use them" warning, just as a caution about using them in inhabited spaces. They work wonders when used appropriately, and I'll likely be using mine in the 928 once I get it out of the garage and moving again.
By N_Jay
Hey_Allen wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:14 am
N_Jay wrote:

Matt

$50 sounds like a deal.

Don't take this as a "don't buy or use them" warning, just as a caution about using them in inhabited spaces. They work wonders when used appropriately, and I'll likely be using mine in the 928 once I get it out of the garage and moving again.
Anyone used these on the musty/mildew odor often found in older cars that have sat closed?
I know they work on chemical odors and "bio" odors, but wondering if it is going to help much.

And thanks for the reminder, I know not o breath ozone that but never hurts to be reminded.

You also don't want to drink or inject bleach. ;)
By Addlight
Hey_Allen wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:14 am Just a quick word of warning on ozone generators, and the ozone that they produce.
You don't want to be breathing any significant quantity of it, as it will degrade your respiratory system just as easily as it will eliminate odors.
This is really important. It is not something you can use while in the same space or even in a space you will occupy right after using the ozone generator. The generators have times for exactly this reason, and some even have a delayed start to let you get out of the room. You need to run it, then leave the space alone until the ozone has dissipated. For a car, I ran it for a half hour and then left the car alone for about five hours. After that, I opened it up let it air out. For a room in my house, I ran it as I was leaving for the day and then opened the room up later. I still didn't spend time in there but just opened it up to air it out.

From what I've read, ozone has a half life of 30 minutes. So, an hour after running the ozone generator, only a quarter of the ozone is left, after two hours, only a sixteenth. It may deplete even faster if it is attacking strong odors, dust, etc. I don't know what level is dangerous, but I would always err on the side of caution and never be in the room while it's running and always wait several hours to open a space up, and then air it out before occupying it.

For a car, it might be good to run it in the early evening. Open all the car windows at bedtime, and by morning you should be safe.

One other thing to be careful with is overusing it around plastics. I have heard that too much ozone will make plastic brittle. So, given the advanced age of our car interiors and the mediocre quality of the plastic to begin with, I would use it only when really needed.

Matt
By N_Jay
To get to where I bet the remaining mildew is worse will require more than just stagnant air. (Under the seats, and around the standing fibers of the carpet, etc.
My thought was to put it and fan in the car and run them for 30 to 60 min.
Then open the windows and for a good while before taking for a drive with the windows open.
I won't be doing it more than once, so I am not too worried about the interior decomposing that much more than that last 17 years have done.
Just figure it might sell faster if it does not smell like a locker room.

By the way, anyone want a 2004 V8 Air Suspension, Center and real locker Touareg?
By Addlight
I think most of them come with a fan built in. Mine does, so you can just set it in the car. I would go 30 minutes, see where you're at and whether it is necessary or worthwhile to go 30 more. It definitely won't make the car smell worse.
By N_Jay
Addlight wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:51 pm I think most of them come with a fan built in. Mine does, so you can just set it in the car. I would go 30 minutes, see where you're at and whether it is necessary or worthwhile to go 30 more. It definitely won't make the car smell worse.
Yep, I saw they had little fans and if I was dealing with an open room, and typical home furnishings, it would be a different story. This is a car with lots of nocks and crannies.

Why have the dash get 80% of the exposure when 80% of the smell is under the seats.
By h2pmr
tool of the day, and the next and the next etc is a torque wrench.
and knowing what to set it to helps.
otherwise the below can happen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Gregs04.5
N_Jay wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:18 pm To get to where I bet the remaining mildew is worse will require more than just stagnant air. (Under the seats, and around the standing fibers of the carpet, etc.
My thought was to put it and fan in the car and run them for 30 to 60 min.
Then open the windows and for a good while before taking for a drive with the windows open.
I won't be doing it more than once, so I am not too worried about the interior decomposing that much more than that last 17 years have done.
Just figure it might sell faster if it does not smell like a locker room.

By the way, anyone want a 2004 V8 Air Suspension, Center and real locker Touareg?
Maybe interested, p.m. me with details/price/and where it is.

Greg
By maddog2020
N_Jay wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:18 pm
The irony of someone trying to sell a car on a thread about tools, is not lost. :hiding:
By N_Jay
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm
The irony of someone trying to sell a car on a thread about tools, is not lost. :hiding:
I wasn't trying to sell it on the thread, I was asked about it on the thread.
By maddog2020
N_Jay wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:09 pm
Don't be a tool. :nono: You specifically posted "By the way, anyone want a 2004 V8 Air Suspension, Center and real locker Touareg?" If that's not pimping a car on a forum I don't know what is. :banghead:
By N_Jay
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:46 am
N_Jay wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:09 pm

Don't be a tool. :nono: You specifically posted "By the way, anyone want a 2004 V8 Air Suspension, Center and real locker Touareg?" If that's not pimping a car on a forum I don't know what is. :banghead:
I meant it more as a quip.
By worf
My Grandma! What a big tap you have.
By hans14914
For the impossible M16 hardline fuel connectors, I found this to be a really great way to get them off. Especially if the only corners you can get a normal flare wrench on are already rounded:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094QB7F94?ps ... ct_details

Its a ratcheting flare wrench so you can rotate the business end around to the back side of the fitting, or any sides that still have good corners.
41b+NL9OPML._AC_SL1000_.jpg
By Stepson
That's cool for sure.
By 7-51
Magnetic pickup, gets me out of trouble every time I work on the car.
By linderpat
telescoping mirror; not the shitty little round dental ones, but a good size rectangular one that lets you actually see in places.
By chalkboss
I second the mirror and magnetic pick up and add a Matco right angle pick. Found it laying on the street years ago. Super strong and sharp, it's a go-to almost every time I wrench.
By Stepson
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 pm
Stepson wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:03 pm That's cool for sure.
so cool I'm tempted to buy a set.. I need to find one of these for AN fittings...
I think you SHOULD buy a set just so I'll know someone close who has a set of these. LOL
By maddog2020
looking for recommendations on a good quality benchtop drill press. I purchased one that had some promise from home depot made by Wen but the chuck wobbled like a coked up stripper on 8 inch heels, so I returned it. Looking for something that is accurate, and well made. variable speed and a laser system would be nice. I'm definitely looking for one that has a crank to raise and lower the bed.
By WyattsRide
I don't have a ton of tools. But, these wrenches were recommended to me and they're great. The 19mm for the top bell housing bolts were a life saver!!

milrad liked this
By Tony
ROG100 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm As the actress said to the Bishop!

Funny..my dad..Irish/English, uses that phrase. :beerchug:

Favorite tool would have to be the small magnet on the fishing line, passed through a straw that retrieved a small washer inside my #1 cylinder. via the spark plug hole. Perfect example of why you ALWAYS turn a motor over by hand before you crank it!!
N_Jay liked this
By The Fat Man
WyattsRide wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:12 pm I don't have a ton of tools. But, these wrenches were recommended to me and they're great. The 19mm for the top bell housing bolts were a life saver!!

Rick, you are not kidding! When I pulled the engine out of the Red Witch, that 19mm Mountain ratcheting wrench was the ONLY thing that would break loose the upper bellhousing bolts. That set is worth every penny.
milrad liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]