8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By fpena944
Received an alert from one of the programs I used to track our search engine metrics and wow what a pleasant surprise...

We're #2 in Google when someone searches for "928 forum"!!!

The number one site has a 25 year head-start so really excited that the word is getting out within the community and the search engines are recognizing the contributions of the users on this forum.

Thank you to all here for making this your new home! :bowdown:

By worf
Holy Click Metrics Bat Fernando!

I guess we’d better start taking our answers to questions a bit more seriously.
By maddog2020
everyone on the 928 forum search google for 928 forum click on openroad. lol keep the ball rolling
By MFranke
Awesome!
By JBRob007
Nicely done!!
By linderpat
Wow, impressive stat :rockon: that doesn’t bode well for the bird site though :lol2:
By Mrmerlin
I have been checking in here more often ,
I got my renewal notice from TOS and I think its time to NOT reeup.
Glad to see there is more traffic here.
SeanR liked this
By linderpat
Mrmerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:34 am I have been checking in here more often ,
I still frequent TOS, and will re-up when the time comes. I do check in here every day too. I think ol renny is still the deepest ocean of knowledge. Facebook is an unmade bed of a cluster fVck, and totally useless as a resource, except if you stumble on something useful in the moment. Hell, I still visit the bird from time to time.
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:27 am
Mrmerlin wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:34 am I have been checking in here more often ,
I still frequent TOS, and will re-up when the time comes. I do check in here every day too. I think ol renny is still the deepest ocean of knowledge. Facebook is an unmade bed of a cluster fVck, and totally useless as a resource, except if you stumble on something useful in the moment. Hell, I still visit the bird from time to time.
That old saying, "No replacement for displacement" that the Muscle-car addicts would use also applies here with RL. They've got the huge archive collected from decades of being the go-to source, that's not going to change for a long time. But like I've said before we can mold and shape this into whatever it is we want it to be and there's enough room on the Internet for all of us to coexist and fulfill a specific need.

Most important thing though is for owners to get the info they need to keep these cars on the road - doesn't matter where that info comes from as long as it's put to good use!
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:12 am Most important thing though is for owners to get the info they need ...
And on that topic, search functionality on this site will need thought and work.

The TOS method of using a "site:" and "inurl:" constrained search won't work well here because topics don't have meaningful URLs.

Without the "google" method above you cannot do something like search for all threads with "Tool" in the title in the 928 forum.

The advanced search here is missing useful functionality as compared to TOS. In particular searching for posts/threads by author.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:24 pm
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:12 am Most important thing though is for owners to get the info they need ...
And on that topic, search functionality on this site will need thought and work.

The TOS method of using a "site:" and "inurl:" constrained search won't work well here because topics don't have meaningful URLs.

Without the "google" method above you cannot do something like search for all threads with "Tool" in the title in the 928 forum.

The advanced search here is missing useful functionality as compared to TOS. In particular searching for posts/threads by author.
I didn't realize search wasn't satisfactory so thanks for that feedback.

There is a different option where I can utilize the power of the underlying database for search instead of the built-in function the forum provides. That should give us more options and help overcome some of the gaps you're seeing. I'll make that change once we move to the new server.

In terms of the URLs not being human-friendly, I actually have that capability here but it does add some overhead and the software natively doesn't offer that feature. I had it enabled early on when the forum first started but if you remember we had a bunch of weird issues at first so I turned it off during troubleshooting and never turned it back on. However in my research Google claims that URLs with descriptive text in them really don't matter and other factors like relevancy and incoming links are more important.

I ran a Google in-site search for the word "tool" and here is what I came back with. It seems like it is able to function but might not be as targeted as you're looking for. We'll keep working on it though. Keep in mind we also have tagging on this forum so users can tag their posts and you can also search on those too. Only thing is we'd want to standardize the tags so we all know what we're searching for.

In any case here is my Google search screen shot I just captured:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm I didn't realize search wasn't satisfactory so thanks for that feedback.
It's probably half me.
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm There is a different option where I can utilize the power of the underlying database for search instead of the built-in function the forum provides. That should give us more options and help overcome some of the gaps you're seeing. I'll make that change once we move to the new server.
It's probably - I think - worth gathering some search use cases before doing anything.
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm In terms of the URLs not being human-friendly, I actually have that capability here but it does
It is worth noting that the "inurl:" search method was a workaround for TOS's difficult to use search functionality.

The use case behind it is "search thread titles only."

(Which btw, it appears is available in the advanced search here.)
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm In any case here is my Google search screen shot I just captured:
Not too bad actually.

One feature always missing (or so retardedly-hard to use that it was the same as missing) from TOS was the ability to combine search keywords with boolean operators and to search for phrases.

For example:

("in-tank" OR "intank" OR "tank" AND "fuel pump"

Or in Lisp:

(and ("fuel pump") (OR "in-tank" "intank" "tank"))
By Fox_
phpBB search has always been terrible.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 pm
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm I didn't realize search wasn't satisfactory so thanks for that feedback.
It's probably half me.
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm There is a different option where I can utilize the power of the underlying database for search instead of the built-in function the forum provides. That should give us more options and help overcome some of the gaps you're seeing. I'll make that change once we move to the new server.
It's probably - I think - worth gathering some search use cases before doing anything.
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm In terms of the URLs not being human-friendly, I actually have that capability here but it does
It is worth noting that the "inurl:" search method was a workaround for TOS's difficult to use search functionality.

The use case behind it is "search thread titles only."

(Which btw, it appears is available in the advanced search here.)
fpena944 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:18 pm In any case here is my Google search screen shot I just captured:
Not too bad actually.

One feature always missing (or so retardedly-hard to use that it was the same as missing) from TOS was the ability to combine search keywords with boolean operators and to search for phrases.

For example:

("in-tank" OR "intank" OR "tank" AND "fuel pump"

Or in Lisp:

(and ("fuel pump") (OR "in-tank" "intank" "tank"))
Fox_ wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:41 pm phpBB search has always been terrible.
I just switched us from phpBB search to MySQL search. Hoping the database is a better provider of search services than the forum software.

Let me know if you see any improvement in results and performance. Hopefully this will help a bit.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]