Watercooled 911s
By fpena944
Before we moved from FL I started recognizing that the battery on my car was straining to start it. I assumed it was because I wasn't driving very often and these cars can sometimes drain batteries while sitting around for a while.

When we moved recently I left my car in storage. I have one of those portable jump start battery packs but right before I was able to put it in the trunk of the 996, the movers packed it. I figured I'd probably have to get the car jump-started when pulling out of storage but then it would charge and I would be good to go.

This past Saturday I flew down to FL with the intent to drive the car back to NC. Got to the storage facility and just as suspected, it wouldn't start. No problem, I called over the owner of the place and he jumped me. Thankfully I had cables with me which would prove to be quite valuable later in the trip!

I then drive about 7 miles to close out an account at a local business and when I get out to start the car...nothing! I thought about calling AAA but know they take forever so I found a guy about to go to work at a grocery store and asked him to help. He willingly did so but to show my appreciation handed him a $20.

Drove about another 150 miles towards my destination without incident. Decided to stop for a brief break and when I go to start the car - nothing again. Ok now I realize I have a dead battery. I made this determination because I did replace the alternator "recently" so I figured the battery was at fault here.

The reason I put "recently" in quotes is because since I've had this car for almost 13 years, I'm starting to lose track of when repairs actually took place. You see I thought I replaced this battery 3 years ago, well it was actually closer to 7 years ago!

So at the gas station I run into the stereotypical "Florida Man" driving in a busted up SUV and with a sob story. He helps to jump me and then begins to go on about how the state impounded his other vehicle and he has $1600 coming to him tomorrow if I could just help him with his predicament. He even promised to reimburse me via CashApp. Goes on to tell me he runs a deep see fishing business and next time I'm in town he will set me up with the VIP treatment. Well in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "If you can't keep your car maintained and are begging me for money, I don't think I want to be out 10 miles at sea with a boat you own." So this stop cost me $40 but at least I saved the hassle of waiting for a tow.

Headed to the local auto shop, bought a new battery and the rest of the trip was pretty uneventful with the exception of a slow Chick-Fil-A drive-through.

Anyway, the 996 is back home as it was a Carolina car since new and has only been registered in three states (NC, SC, FL) during it's lifetime.

I guess I have two morals to this story...Don't travel on an old battery and make sure you put things away before movers can get to them!

Wet and dirty but still kicking:
SeanR, XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:15 am good PSA, but great looking car. I love the color.
Appreciate it! The car is a 10-footer now though as from a distance looks decent but up close the concours crowd would have a heart attack. :evilgrin:
N_Jay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 am What is a road trip without a little adventure.
Not to mention my driver was almost an hour late picking me up from the airport and the line at Chick-Fil-A in Georgia was so slow. But the most important thing is I got home safe and with the car in one piece!
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:56 am

Not to mention my driver was almost an hour late picking me up from the airport and the line at Chick-Fil-A in Georgia was so slow. But the most important thing is I got home safe and with the car in one piece!
But did you set a personal best time?
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 am
fpena944 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:56 am

But did you set a personal best time?
Not this time as it was raining and I was pretty exhausted with getting up early and going through everything I had been though.

I've done that trip before though only stopping twice in 650 miles!
By NCporsche
Brother in PA called wanting me to diagnose his RAV4 problems. Lots of dash lights on, AC stopped working, power steering with no power. Told him to see if he lost a belt.

Yesterday AM started car up and everything seems to be normal again. Suggested he buy a new battery if it is seven years old.
By N_Jay
NCporsche wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am Brother in PA called wanting me to diagnose his RAV4 problems. Lots of dash lights on, AC stopped working, power steering with no power. Told him to see if he lost a belt.

Yesterday AM started car up and everything seems to be normal again. Suggested he buy a new battery if it is seven years old.
Sounds like his RAV caught a case of Touareg-itis!
By JBRob007
I'm intently listening to this story line. I just crossed over to the dark side with a 2000 996 Cab w/ Tiptronic in Paladio Metallic (fancy name for beige metalflake pearl). Actually, it's very striking in direct sunlight. Aaaaany waaaaaaay... it has a 7 year old battery and is getting tired. I'll take your advice and buy a new battery tomorrow.

I'll post a new thread about the car, but here's a peek:
911 Gold.jpg
Yeah, I know... it's NOT a GT3... :lol2:

Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By NCporsche
NCporsche wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am Brother in PA called wanting me to diagnose his RAV4 problems. Lots of dash lights on, AC stopped working, power steering with no power. Told him to see if he lost a belt.

Follow up. Battery was checked and it was ten years old, replaced battery and all symptoms went away.
amdavid liked this
By N_Jay
There is nothing wrong with an old batter, but the DAY it shows any inkling of a problem, get a new one.
My wife's E350 battery was was 14 years old, and I noticed a very slight different in it cranking one day.
I did not even wait for a random error light.
By fpena944
JBRob007 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:26 pm I'm intently listening to this story line. I just crossed over to the dark side with a 2000 996 Cab w/ Tiptronic in Paladio Metallic (fancy name for beige metalflake pearl). Actually, it's very striking in direct sunlight. Aaaaany waaaaaaay... it has a 7 year old battery and is getting tired. I'll take your advice and buy a new battery tomorrow.

I'll post a new thread about the car, but here's a peek:

911 Gold.jpg

Yeah, I know... it's NOT a GT3... :lol2:

Joel
Great thing about the 996 battery is that it is located in an area clear of any obstructions so it takes just seconds to remove and replace.
NCporsche wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Follow up. Battery was checked and it was ten years old, replaced battery and all symptoms went away.
Crazy how cars today are so dependent on a fully charged battery. Glad he was able to get it resolved.
N_Jay wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:37 pm There is nothing wrong with an old batter, but the DAY it shows any inkling of a problem, get a new one.
My wife's E350 battery was was 14 years old, and I noticed a very slight different in it cranking one day.
I did not even wait for a random error light.
Good idea, why wait for something to go wrong when you can get ahead of it for relatively little investment now.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]