8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ALKada
About 75,000 and 8 years on the internal pump. Failed in driveway and not on the way to Sharks in the Mountains, Third Coast, South Dakota….. I’m one lucky SOB. Now I have to figure out how to get the rest of the pump out without damaging the tank threads.
By SeanR
That is nuts, how the hell did it get so bad in there if it's only 8 years old? That tank has to be a mess internally.

As far as getting it out, get a cork screw and have at it.
By worf
Not too hard to take out the sender and reach in and get the in-tank portion of the in-tank pump if you can’t fish it out.

fWIW, if you’ve got an in-tank pump you need to pull it every 6-ish years and replace the hose section.

Too much evidence that the OE hose lasts not a day more than 10 years. Nobody - AFAIK - knows how long GB’s replacement blue hose will last.
By ALKada
Plot thickens….. this appears to be drywall material in the pump after examination. I have home remodelers here and the car was left outside because all of their shit is in my garage being stored. Pissed is not even close to how I feel right now. Revenge is more like it.

I need Polecat justice.
By SeanR
ALKada wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 pm Plot thickens….. this appears to be drywall material in the pump after examination. I have home remodelers here and the car was left outside because all of their shit is in my garage being stored. Pissed is not even close to how I feel right now. Revenge is more like it.

I need Polecat justice.
You have to be fucking kidding me..................they put drywall dust in your gas tank?

Yea, Polecat justice is warranted.
By maddog2020
holy chit... If it was pieces of drywall put in there, the cardboard should be intact in the tank. I'd pull the tank and put all of the evidence in bags and have a discussion with the GC. you could get a piece of drywall and put it in a small container to see how long it takes to sludge like that.

too bad you don't have cameras.... remember you aren't paranoid if they are out to get you.

It could also be coincidence that the car was parked outside and not usually. Could have been neighborhood kids with powdered sugar or flour as well.

that sucks.
By worf
ALKada wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 pm Plot thickens….. this appears to be drywall material in the pump after examination. I have home remodelers here and the car was left outside because all of their shit is in my garage being stored. Pissed is not even close to how I feel right now. Revenge is more like it.

I need Polecat justice.
Yeah, I thought that the build up on the inside of the threaded fitting was suspicious. Definitely worth spending some time to investigate the origin. And, then, if the origin can be determined with very-little doubt, pursue justice.

Note to self: always make sure gas cap (and car) is locked when outside.
By jschiller
How would it get in there? No locking gas cap? Have you had any conflicts with the workers? This is bizarre and major suckage...
By worf
SeanR wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:41 pm If you need a repair estimate produced I'm sure I can assist on that Alex.
Oh yeah…!

tank, in-tank pump, main pump, filter, sender, all fuel lines hard or soft, injectors, dampers, regulator, R&R labor…

I mean… no way to know what might have been damaged.

Probably need to do the vapor system too, just to be sure.

Who ever did that needs to be screwed to a (dry) wall.
SeanR liked this
By Stepson
Alex,
I would definitely be taking the evidence to the GC and having a serious conversation with him about this. Probably some level of a criminal mischief charge could be forthcoming.
By SeanR
Stepson wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:08 pm Alex,
I would definitely be taking the evidence to the GC and having a serious conversation with him about this. Probably some level of a criminal mischief charge could be forthcoming.
Felony destruction of property. This can easily cost more than $7k.
worf liked this
By worf
SeanR wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:11 pm Felony destruction of property. This can easily cost more than $7k.
Oh Hell yes!
By Bertrand Daoust
Polecat702 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:42 am I've got a pump if anybody wants it. It's new never been in a car.
Nice to see you here Polecat! :thumbup:

Welcome to Open Road!
By Sazerac
...oh! ... welcome Polecat!

Yeah, I was looking at those pictures and thinking, "WTF, that is not a typical failure mode of an intake pump."

Dry wall material or something of that nature might explain it! Good luck finding the reason and getting revenge!
By Polecat702
Bertrand Daoust wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 pm
Polecat702 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:42 am I've got a pump if anybody wants it. It's new never been in a car.
Nice to see you here Polecat! :thumbup:

Welcome to Open Road!
Bertrand,
I've been here since the beginning. Thanks!
By Bertrand Daoust
Oups! Late to the party. :smile:

Anyway nice to see you here.
Hope you're doing good Joe. :thumbup:
By ALKada
Thanks everyone, appreciate the support. Thanks Sean for the offer. Going to work on pulling what is left of the internal pump/screen today. Will post up pics.
By checkmate1996
Seriously that is f’ed up. I too was like I have never seen a gas tank that bad …

Hopefully you get very very luck and most if not all was captured between the two filters and pump.

Is there a way to get an external pump and back flush from the engine ?

I am thinking drop the tank . Then disconnect the primary fuel line to the engine and pump fuel back through the return line and see if any sludge comes out. If you do-well you know the rest. If you don’t, that could be a good sign …

Thoughts?
By ALKada
So far I have removed the internal pump and flushed the tank from above with sender out. Got a few replacement parts from Roger including the in tank strainer, not going to put a new in tank pump back in. Also invested in a new locking gas cap….
Crap that came out of the tank.

After full tank flushing. Clean as a whistle.

Had to repair a small gap in the top of the tank spout that could potentially be a leak area.

This is the in-tank pump strainer. The rubber line between it and the tank had to have failed for nothing to be on this filter and my pump to be completely seized up with gunk.
By ALKada
I did get the in tank sleeve out after some dremeling and cursing. New tank sleeve fix from 928sRus going in today.
By ALKada
And she’s done. I could not get the in tank repair sleeve to fit inside the baffle, through to the tank outlet to screw in the intank screen so I melted away both sides of the baffle and it fit like a charm. No need for help getting the screen in, fitting was really tight. Car runs great, in tank pump must have caught almost everything and the filter - the rest. Injectors and fuel regulators etc. appear to be OK.
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]