Mid-engine cars
By sh944
Figured I might as well give a landing place for Boxster a Spyder content... since I have one (2011 version), I’d like to start dragging some traffic over here and hopefully get a sub forum set up for it.
By Marine Blue
Good call Scott, we need a dedicated Spyder forum!
By worf
I down with this. But PLEASE let's organize it sanely unlike Rennlist!

Can we do:

- Spyder
- GT4

- Spyder/GT4/4.0

Let's not subdivide it like RL did into "non-911-coupe" and "non-911-convertible" and 'four-cylinder"
By fpena944
If we get enough demand for it, I'll create it!

I just didn't want 100 forums each with 2 topics in them. Seems daunting and makes the board look really dead.

But if we start getting requests for it I'll expand what we have.
By sh944
Personally, just a thread should suffice until we get traffic to warrant it. I agree making some arcane directory of empty forums wouldn't be worthwhile.
By Fox_
Right now, a simple "automotive" section is about all we have the traffic to justify, imo.

Which is exactly what we have.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm If we get enough demand for it, I'll create it!

I just didn't want 100 forums each with 2 topics in them. Seems daunting and makes the board look really dead.

But if we start getting requests for it I'll expand what we have.
That’s fine and I’m “down with it.” Let’s just not forget sanity when the time comes :)
By worf
On topic: Late May, June build. Hoping for non-quarantined ED. Build near-final. 2-way seats, PCCB, silver-stitch interior package and some other odds and ends. I don’t get a lot of say in the build as it will be CarChick’s. My build is final with October allocation, but we don’t have a non-Spyder thread yet into which I could post.
By jamie140
Love me some spyders!
IMG_0166.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By XR4Tim
jamie140 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am Love me some spyders!
It's a full-blown infestation!
By sh944
BF27AC1F-535F-4C59-AE28-E0509C561CEF.jpeg
Just cuz...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mark Dreyer
Best car I’ve ever owned. There is no substitute even when compared to other Porsches. :D
sh944 liked this
By worf
Mark Dreyer wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 pm Best car I’ve ever owned. There is no substitute even when compared to other Porsches. :D
That’s the “classic interior” yes?
By Mark Dreyer
yes
By Marine Blue
Here’s mine
sh944, Mark Dreyer liked this
By jamie140
Peak first world problem: PTS deadline tomorrow and my original choice viola metallic with classic red and black interior was denied.

Really wanted that combo.

Could do viola with just black interior with white stitching or maritime with blue stitching which might be cool.

Thoughts?
By worf
jamie140 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:58 am Peak first world problem: PTS deadline tomorrow and my original choice viola metallic with classic red and black interior was denied.
Good to know that Viola Metallic is approved for PTS.

I would only want VM with a red interior if I could have HEMATOMA as my personal plate. Surprised though that it was denied by PAG. It shows an intolerance for diversity in taste that I find disturbing.
By sh944
Crap...

Bumped my rear bumper pads today, and although I am probably the only person in the world that would notice it, there is a slight wrinkle in them. Can you buy these already painted from the factory or do I need to get my paint guy to shoot them for me?
By XR4Tim
sh944 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:48 pm Crap...

Bumped my rear bumper pads today, and although I am probably the only person in the world that would notice it, there is a slight wrinkle in them. Can you buy these already painted from the factory or do I need to get my paint guy to shoot them for me?
I believe they come primer-coated, but will need to be painted.
By sh944
God love my wife but...

So she and I were walking past the Spyder and she had heard me griping about the bumper pads a few days earlier and so she points directly at them and say “those, no one would ever notice...”. Lol. Yeah, just like YOU didn’t!

I guess I’ll be getting them fixed.
By amdavid
^^Doesn't matter who see's it, you'll get it fixed, for your own sanity.^^

Nice spyders in the wild.
By DAVfoto
Found this Spyder, high priced but I want it so bad....

I drove a 981 Spyder summer of 2019 and I loved it. I do think the 718 with front 911 gt3 subframe and GT4 suspension would be a better buy. For those who have had a 981 and are going 718 route, let us know your thoughts on the differences. Plus I love the wheels of the 718 and never liked the 981 Spyder wheels.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... TCsavedcar

By AKSteve
Is there a big difference in interior room between a Cayman and a Boxster? I'm considering getting a Boxster Spyder, but I've never sat in a 718 Boxster before. I did have a Cayman as a loaner car and I was surprised that I fit in it so comfortably. I'm 6'6" and a rather large person. I'm mostly wondering about headroom and seat travel. Does the seat lean back just as far in a Boxster as it does in a Cayman? I don't believe the local dealership has a 718 Boxster in stock at the moment, so I can't go sit in one and check things out.

Next question: Manual or PDK? I'm leaning towards manual, but I've heard the PDK improves performance a lot.
By worf
AKSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 am Is there a big difference in interior room between a Cayman and a Boxster?
No. The main difference is no rear storage above engine cover in Boxster. But that space is hard to find use for in the Cayman.

AKSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 am I'm mostly wondering about headroom and seat travel. Does the seat lean back just as far in a Boxster as it does in a Cayman?
Yes.

AKSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 am Next question: Manual or PDK? I'm leaning towards manual, but I've heard the PDK improves performance a l ot.
You gonna drive it in stop and go traffic?

How many car manufacturers even bother to make a three-pedal car?

You’ll have the rest of your like to by cars without three pedals. Seen any manual gear boxes in EVs?
By DAVfoto
AKSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 am Is there a big difference in interior room between a Cayman and a Boxster? I'm considering getting a Boxster Spyder, but I've never sat in a 718 Boxster before. I did have a Cayman as a loaner car and I was surprised that I fit in it so comfortably. I'm 6'6" and a rather large person. I'm mostly wondering about headroom and seat travel. Does the seat lean back just as far in a Boxster as it does in a Cayman? I don't believe the local dealership has a 718 Boxster in stock at the moment, so I can't go sit in one and check things out.

Next question: Manual or PDK? I'm leaning towards manual, but I've heard the PDK improves performance a lot.
Headroom will be better as it being the droptop it should be good! The Spyder cover over the back opens up and has storage in both the rear and front.

I'd go manual, but the will the summer be enough to use the Spyder for yourself being in Alaska?
By AKSteve
DAVfoto wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:39 pm
AKSteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 am Is there a big difference in interior room between a Cayman and a Boxster? I'm considering getting a Boxster Spyder, but I've never sat in a 718 Boxster before. I did have a Cayman as a loaner car and I was surprised that I fit in it so comfortably. I'm 6'6" and a rather large person. I'm mostly wondering about headroom and seat travel. Does the seat lean back just as far in a Boxster as it does in a Cayman? I don't believe the local dealership has a 718 Boxster in stock at the moment, so I can't go sit in one and check things out.

Headroom will be better as it being the droptop it should be good! The Spyder cover over the back opens up and has storage in both the rear and front.

I'd go manual, but the will the summer be enough to use the Spyder for yourself being in Alaska?
Unlimited headroom!

It turns out the local dealer has a used 718 Boxster in their inventory, so I'm going to try to check it out sometime in the near future. Hopefully it will be just as comfortable for me as the Cayman I drove.

It will definitely be a summer-only car as I have a 992 C4S that I plan to keep and which I drive year-round. I just really love the design and looks of the 718 Boxster Spyder. And this might be the last chance to buy a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder roadster with a manual transmission.
By XR4Tim
I had a customer when I was in Anchorage who bought a 987 Spyder as his daily driver. I never got to find out how well that worked for him in the winter, but that top did not offer much for insulation.
Any Boxster Spyder will be a lot of fun. Headroom in the Cayman isn't that bad either though!
By worf
This place needs some action.

By fpena944
worf wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:17 am This place needs some action.

Keep those EVs in fireproof containers on that boat!!!
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:24 am Keep those EVs in fireproof containers on that boat!!!
That and worried about Russian attack subs and mistaken identity. At least for the first few days out of port. After that, EVs, giant squid, random ro-ro eating whirlpools. Closer to our coast: Kaiju.

It’s been 3+ years since I put down the deposit. We’ve skipped allocations three times and dodged bullets (recalls, like the con-rod fiasco) as a result. This last time, delay for CXX approval resulted in it *not* being at the bottom of the ocean.

If the car transporter out of Davisville Port gets hit by a meteor I’ll be like “Meh, I knew our luck had to run out at some point.”
sh944 liked this
By worf
No water damage. No fire damage. No bruises. No tooth marks. :thumbup:

See the corner of the Frozen Berry Metallic Boxster? It has a bordeaux red interior. :barf:

I asked our SA about it; a $15k deposit was required. :lol2:

XR4Tim, sh944 liked this
By worf
Back from PPF.

AKSteve, linderpat, XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
worf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:32 pm Back from PPF.

How is this beauty doing these days? Probably put away for the winter I imagine?
By sh944
worf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:32 pm Back from PPF.

Verrry nice but have you thought about swapping out those amber light covers? I am keeping my Spyder as original as possible but I swapped mine and think it looks much better. That amber, especially on Carrera White, is just too jarring for me.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:41 am How is this beauty doing these days? Probably put away for the winter I imagine?
Yup. It’s been sitting under a 4-post for a while now waiting for Spring and for construction at CarChick’s office to be over whichever comes last.

sh944 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:23 pm Verrry nice but have you thought about swapping out those amber light covers? I am keeping my Spyder as original as possible but I swapped mine and think it looks much better. That amber, especially on Carrera White, is just too jarring for me.
It’s my wife’s car: not mine to mod. If she wants clear markers she’ll tell me. I’ll probably put clear markers on my T one of these days if I ever get bored.

By sh944
Not enough action here...

By worf
Or winter.

Just took this for y’all:

By sh944
My Spyder eats bugs….
DB5974C8-825F-4C9B-ADB8-E9344FB63906.jpeg
worf, fpena944 liked this
By fpena944
sh944 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:45 pm My Spyder eats bugs….
DB5974C8-825F-4C9B-ADB8-E9344FB63906.jpeg
It looks like it's smiling after a satisfying meal.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]