8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By linderpat
Yesterday I lifted my Ford Edge onto the QJ 5000 SLX to do a routine oil change. Because it is an SUV and sits high, I use a double stack block on each pad - the bottom is the larger block, and the top is the grooved block to fit the underside jack point of the vehicle. My understanding from the instructions is that this method is acceptable. I then use jack stands as a back up. Sometimes I do no bother, for instance when I lift the 911 to the low position only.

Anyway, lifted the car to the highest position. Pushed on it to make sure everything was secure, like I always do, then crawled under and started to put the jack stands in. I set one under the first front point, and the moment I set the second one under the drivers side, something shifted and the whole thing almost came down on me. Holy Effen Christee I damn near crapped myself but got out fast. Had the jack stand not been under there, it would have been on me and I would not be typing this.

I looked at everything - the double stack block arrangement shifted, and the blocks popped out on one side, and failed on the other. The frame itself shifted, and the back of the car was hanging in the air by a literal hair, just waiting to fall. I gathered my wits then got my two floor jacks, and after some very careful manuevering, got the car down (the front jack stands were jammed on the car at this point, so I had to re-lift it with the QJ in order to get the stands out and lower the car - not fun and scary).

Moral of the story - ALWAYS, 100% OF THE TIME, USE JACK STANDS AS A FAIL SAFE WHEN WORKING UNDER A CAR WITH THE QUICKJACK (or anything else frankly). I have done this many times and this was a first. I do not know why it happened. I much prefer my liftbars for the 928 and 997, as they are rock solid and lift those cars about as high, and are much faster to put in place.

Epilogue - I got the vehicle back up with the QJ, using only the grooved blocks, no double stacking, and was able to complete the job. Fail safe jack stands were in place all around.
i am not a traitor liked this
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:54 am Yesterday I lifted my Ford Edge onto the QJ 5000 SLX to do a routine oil change. Because it is an SUV and sits high, I use a double stack block on each pad - the bottom is the larger block, and the top is the grooved block to fit the underside jack point of the vehicle. My understanding from the instructions is that this method is acceptable. I then use jack stands as a back up. Sometimes I do no bother, for instance when I lift the 911 to the low position only.

Anyway, lifted the car to the highest position. Pushed on it to make sure everything was secure, like I always do, then crawled under and started to put the jack stands in. I set one under the first front point, and the moment I set the second one under the drivers side, something shifted and the whole thing almost came down on me. Holy Effen Christee I damn near crapped myself but got out fast. Had the jack stand not been under there, it would have been on me and I would not be typing this.

I looked at everything - the double stack block arrangement shifted, and the blocks popped out on one side, and failed on the other. The frame itself shifted, and the back of the car was hanging in the air by a literal hair, just waiting to fall. I gathered my wits then got my two floor jacks, and after some very careful manuevering, got the car down (the front jack stands were jammed on the car at this point, so I had to re-lift it with the QJ in order to get the stands out and lower the car - not fun and scary).

Moral of the story - ALWAYS, 100% OF THE TIME, USE JACK STANDS AS A FAIL SAFE WHEN WORKING UNDER A CAR WITH THE QUICKJACK (or anything else frankly). I have done this many times and this was a first. I do not know why it happened. I much prefer my liftbars for the 928 and 997, as they are rock solid and lift those cars about as high, and are much faster to put in place.

Epilogue - I got the vehicle back up with the QJ, using only the grooved blocks, no double stacking, and was able to complete the job. Fail safe jack stands were in place all around.
This scenario has always freaked me out about the "portable" lifts I've seen in the market.

Glad you are ok!

Do you know if this bent the Quick Jack or permanently damaged it at all? I would be very cautious using it going forward.
By Bertrand Daoust
That's scrary...

Very happy that you're ok Ed.

To use the jack stands too is the way to go with these lifts...
By linderpat
Hi Guys. Fernando, no damage to the frames at all. They very nearly got knocked off sideways though. I think the Good Lord was watching over me. He must have plans for me, and I am definitely going to think more on that. This was a freakin close one. (perhaps I am destined to have a post-covid drink with Bertrand at Frenzy :beerchug: )
fpena944 liked this
By Bertrand Daoust
:thumbup:

The border is still closed but I feel fairly optimistic that it will be open by the end of September.
Realy hope but time will tell...
Will have a lot to talk about after two years! :biggrin:
By sh944
Very good to know, since I have the same QJ unit. In your opinion, would that have been an issue if you had not stacked teh blocks?

I'll be doubly sure to use jacks stands as a back up in the future. I appreciate the PSA.
By linderpat
sh944 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:57 am Very good to know, since I have the same QJ unit. In your opinion, would that have been an issue if you had not stacked teh blocks?

I'll be doubly sure to use jacks stands as a back up in the future. I appreciate the PSA.
Yes. I think the double stacked blocked were the main culprit here. Don’t do it. And always use Jack stands or wood blocks or whatever as back up
By N_Jay
From my understanding, Jack Stands don't work well for back up, because they don't take sudden and shifting loads well.
Better to have the weight of the vehicle on the jack stands, and have the jack for back up.
By worf
Scary. Glad you are ok.

I wish Ken made liftbars for everything!
By Booch
Wow, glad to hear you're ok! That's a great reminder to wear a belt AND suspenders when you're under a car.

I would never stack those blocks up, they are not stable enough as you saw. I felt a little sketchy with a single block when I saw how much they compress, but they have proven to be stable as I've left the car on the lift for months at a time without an issue using just one block. I did cut a groove in mine to fit around the pinch weld on my STI, which also helped it not 'crush' so much.

If I am working underneath it, I do always do something to make sure I don't get crushed if the lift fails. Floor jack, jack stands, wheel on ground, etc.
By Gary Knox
Ed,

Thank you for your report, and I hope everyone who uses a QuickJack pays attention. I was so GLAD to be reading the report, realizing that you were not injured in any way. Every time I use my asymmetric hoist, I double check the positioning of the pads (rubber lift pads on car steel or hard plastic lift spots), and then say a quick 'Thank You' to my wife for supporting that extravagance.

I also have to admit that I am amazed with the 'support' I've received from the Good Lord on many occasions back in the '50's and 60's when I crawled under a car to do an oil change or something. NOTHING but a bumper jack, no jack stands, no blocks fore and aft of wheels. Just that wobbly, insecure bumper jack, occasionally on a dirt surface holding one corner of the car with a wheel about 4-6" off the ground. Thinking about that even now gives me chills!!

SO, SO glad you escaped quickly and unscathed. By the way, thinking about it, I might suggest that if you need the double stacked blocks that they might be safer if securely fastened together.

Gary
Last edited by Gary Knox on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
linderpat liked this
By Gregs04.5
Glad all turned as it did, Stories like this serve to make us all a little more cautious.
I just recently took delivery of a 5000 SLX, and have only lifted the 911 one time so far, using one set of lift blocks, and at full lift, it felt very stable.
I will forever keep your story in mind, and use backup jacks just to be safe.
On the Quick Jack web site, they list a 6" lift block, looks to be more stable than stacking the supplied rubber blocks. May be worth a look.

Greg
By linderpat
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind words and thoughts but am mostly glad everyone is hearing the story. We don’t always get to provide the cautionary tale the next day. Also, @N_Jay I have often thought about the use of the Jack stands as back up and whether they would support a sudden drop. What I do is make sure they are extended to touch the support point or at least be very close, in order to minimize the shock force of the drop. In this case, the stand worked - it held the SUV long enough for me to get out and the figure out how to get the whole thing down without losing the car.
By N_Jay
It's not so much about the shock force, as the fact that Jack stands usually need to be carefully located as they have a small mating surface.

Can't wait for my shop to be done so I can get a proper lift.
By milrad
Thanks for posting this. I'm just about to order a set to keep at my garage at the track for tire changes and light maintenance on my GT4. Maybe I'll think a little more...but for sure I'll bring some jackstands too now.
By linderpat
milrad wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:49 pm Thanks for posting this. I'm just about to order a set to keep at my garage at the track for tire changes and light maintenance on my GT4. Maybe I'll think a little more...but for sure I'll bring some jack stands too now.
I think you'll be fine so long as you do not double stack the blocks. On a GT4 you won't have to. Make sure everything is lined up, and always back up with Jack stands, wood blocks, etc. Also, PorKen's liftbars will fit the GT4, and that is the best, and far more economical solution IMHO.
By worf
linderpat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:15 pm Also, PorKen's liftbars will fit the GT4, and that is the best, and far more economical solution IMHO.
This ------^

(Although, if you have a set of old "928-only" lift bars you'll need one of the new sets that fit everything.)
By Cuda911
SeanR wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am Wow. Glad you are still with us man. That's some scary stuff.
Indeed! And you are not the first person who has told me similar stories. Sheesh, when I think back about how stupid I was as a teen.... never thought much about safety at all then. As you say, always use Jack stands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
linderpat liked this
By linderpat
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:04 am
SeanR wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am Wow. Glad you are still with us man. That's some scary stuff.
Indeed! And you are not the first person who has told me similar stories. Sheesh, when I think back about how stupid I was as a teen.... never thought much about safety at all then. As you say, always use Jack stands.
:lol2: that's the pic that came to mind when I read Gary's post!
By milrad
worf wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:10 am
linderpat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:15 pm Also, PorKen's liftbars will fit the GT4, and that is the best, and far more economical solution IMHO.
This ------^
I'm fine with buying a new low-pro jack and more jackstands to use with the lift bars at the track, but do you guys know if a low-pro jack plus lift bars will fit under a GT4? It's pretty low, and unfortunately not here for me to measure. I do not want to dick around with trying to drive up on pieces of wood.
By worf
milrad wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 pm I'm fine with buying a new low-pro jack and more jackstands to use with the lift bars at the track, but do you guys know if a low-pro jack plus lift bars will fit under a GT4? It's pretty low, and unfortunately not here for me to measure. I do not want to dick around with trying to drive up on pieces of wood.
The lift bars won't fit under any of the "new" Porsches even with a low-profile jack (at least not one I've ever seen) because the sills are so close to the ground. I always have to jack up one wheel on each side and place a block under it before I can get the lift bars under. GT4, 991, 981, 718, doesn't matter. About the only difference is that with a non-PASM car once you get one side up you don't need a block under a tire on the other side (IIRC.)

For "track work" are you planning on getting *under* it? If only to change wheels, bleed brakes, etc., I wouldn't want to lug around a lift bar.
By milrad
I have a small garage at the track. So I can leave stuff there, but there isn't a whole lot of space. I'm just looking for the quickest and easiest way to get it up in the air to swap out wheels and brake pads primarily, and occasionally getting underneath to move my sway bar settings. Maybe change the oil. Not much more than that. More involved work and it will go to the shop.
By Polecat702
I have a Workhorse lift, it was 3K, but worth every cent, and it's portable. Safety, costs money! :soapbox:
By checkmate1996
Wow Ed! I am very glad you are ok. That is very scary stuff. I had a close call fixing a car on the side of the road once. I don’t think I’ve ever moved so fast …

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]