8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
I can see the finish line…. Have all week off work with the goal to get the 928 running.

Yesterday:

Redid the bolts to the front floating calipers
Rear stainless brake hoses swapped out for new
R&R all rear suspension bolts & alignment eccentrics, and coated with anti seize
FOE harness

Today:
Swapped out front stainless brake hoses
Lubed all the front suspension bolts and alignment eccentrics with anti seize
Installed front skid plates
By linderpat
Really looking forward to hearing of this spectacular beast being back on the road, with videos!
By maddog2020
Fiddled around with a lot of small stuff. I had pulled out the carpet, so I had to finish up the firewall, so I could get the throttle linkage set up with my new linkage. Also re covered a few of the harness clamps. Raychem DR25 is the heat shrink tubing I used for the fuel injection harness and it makes old clamps better than new. I redid the one that holds the FOE and it goes thru the timing belt cover as well as the big one for the battery/alternator cables going to the starter.

Got the new linkage set up and this is the 1st time I’ve operated the ITB’s using the gas pedal… I know its a small thing but it took me a ton of time to decide on what I was going to do, and then find & make the parts to do it. I ended up cannibalizing an old factory cable along with new aftermarket parts to make a solid throttle cable.

Tomorrow is cutting a hole in the floor between the gas pedal and the firewall for the 2nd oxygen sensor harness, followed by bleeding the brakes, and getting the oil lines, alternator installed along with the new AC compressor.

Then it is down to :
1. finishing the connectors in the V for the Knock sensors, the crank sensor, TPS, fuel pressure sensor & alcohol content sensor.
2. Cleaning the ITB’s and installing for the final time
3. Testing injectors and fuel system for leaks
4 filling with coolant and installing belts and fans
5. ECU check

And fire it up ~! :burnout:
By Stepson
Here you go. I fixed it for you:
1. finishing the connectors in the V for the Knock sensors, the crank sensor, TPS, fuel pressure sensor & alcohol content sensor.
2. Cleaning the ITB’s and installing for the final time before starting the car since 2009
3. Testing injectors and fuel system for leaks
4 filling with coolant and installing belts and fans
5. ECU check
milrad liked this
By maddog2020
Getting a lot done. Wasted a whole day chasing down an electrical gremlin, and trying to get the GB tilton clutch bled. Alternator is in, Oxygen sensors done. Using the newer LSU 4.9 oxygen sensors and the plug has a small board in it, so the connector won't fit thru the factory hole. Unibit did the job. Finding a suitable place to drill the hole on the drives side ate up a couple of hours. I'm glad I chased down extra large (34mm) grommets a few months ago. Still chasing the clutch bleeding issue.
By maddog2020
left the clutch bleeding for later. got the car on the ground so I could get the ITB's off & finish the wiring in the V as well as the fuel lines. Learning on the go with some of the connectors. Good thing I ordered extras
By maddog2020
Wiring in the V is done.

Injectors tested, and ITB’s cleaned.

Working on Fuel hoses and heater hoses now.

I’m passing on getting the AC compressor installed before startup, as I don’t have a working HVAC controller anyway.
By maddog2020
Done for today. I’ve had this stuff mocked up before many times, for different systems, wiring, fuel lines, linkages, but I’ve never had it all together. It looks really busy.. more than I wanted but still have vacuum hoses yet to go…..and the 4th ITB after I get the heater valve installed. I did and redid the heater hoses in back and under the V as I hated all the hoses looped around the front and then going back along the passenger strut tower.

Damn… been going at it all day.
By maddog2020
I had a conversation yesterday with a fellow 928 owner. he wanted to know why it takes so much time to get it back together. Most of it is my OCD. I see something and don't like the way it looks, and to redo it takes hours. I spent 5 hours yesterday on 2 heater hoses. One of my biggest peeve's of the 928 engine bay is the heater hose that comes out the front of the water bridge and then loops back around the passenger side strut tower. I routed it back thru the V with a 180 degree fitting and it merges with the heater hose behind the engine instead of under the coolant bottle. I mad this decision years ago and modified the water bridge to have a fitting instead of a hose boss. I've had at least one of these rabbit holes every day for the last 9 days. It robs valuable time but I want it done correctly.
By maddog2020
Coolant is in…. Done for the weekend and the last week. (I took the pics before the coolant) I didn’t get it running but I did make some real progress.

Billet spark plug cable clamps work perfectly for 6mm vacuum lines.

Gary Knox liked this
By Stepson
Looking good SG. A lot of behind the scenes work there. You are the only one who knows how much, but it pretty apparent just by looking.
By linderpat
I got a morning stiffy looking at that. :hiding:
By maddog2020
it is insanely slow going. tons of stuff going on under the intake.
  • 2 knock sensors
  • connection for crank sensor
  • tps sensor
  • flex fuel sensor with a fuel line loop
  • fuel pressure sensor
then there is all 8 of the vacuum lines and the vacuum manifold under the throttle quadrant. the vacuum manifold ties to the MAP sensor mounted to the drivers side of the engine bay under the fender lip near the brake master.
By Tony
When you repainted the car...did you reinstall the hood foam under the hood? Im having a tough time deciding to or not. The paint under the hood is as good as the top. It just looks nice ,clean and shiny
By maddog2020
I did replace the foam.... but now with this intake I had to remove the foam to get the hood modified...
By Tony
Did i miss the pics of the hood...what mods have you done to it..?
By maddog2020
A few, more detailed pics of the vacuum lines, and some of the fuel lines and wiring in the V.

amdavid liked this
By Tony
SeanR wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 am Amazing work Sterling. Simply amazing.

yeah, this is a very special car. WOW :beerchug:

i believe a DFW area parking lot...2000? i first saw the inklings of all this...
By maddog2020
that was actually the VarioCam at Papa's BBQ. I didn't acquire the ITB's until 2008.
By hessank
Wow Stirling, great job :drunk:

I have Louie's setup to install on my car but life keeps getting in the way.
I'm jealous.

Question: So you are ditching the fuel dampers? What about the fuel pulses everyone cried about in the last site every time the words 'damper delete' got mentioned?
By maddog2020
I'm doing sequential injection so not an issue like factory that batch fires all injectors at once. the kit is a fantastic starting point. you will need to decide if you are going to port adapters to the head on the bottom and the top of the adapters to the 50mm round. This does create a really awkward transition for air flow. I had the heads ported to the ITB's and the adapters. I'm the only one who has done this. good for high RPM flow but could detract from torque in the low and mid range.

hessank liked this
By ALKada
Nice work. Can’t wait to hear this beast fire up. Shall I alert your neighbors or would you like to just fire it up around 11 pm on a Friday night?
By maddog2020
ALKada wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:14 pm Nice work. Can’t wait to hear this beast fire up. Shall I alert your neighbors or would you like to just fire it up around 11 pm on a Friday night?
I'm thinking about 7:30 on Sunday morning........ :hiding:
By maddog2020
starting "take two" tomorrow morning. Menu consists of

• checking all clutch hardware
  • installing the starter/bellhousing
  • Installing cooling fans
  • Wiring up Plugs V & W to CE Panel
  • ECU updates and config checklist
  • completing startup checklist
  • Cranking for ignition timing
  • Final Fuel system pressure test
  • Startup
:burnout:
SeanR liked this
By h2pmr
gorgeous attention to detail seen in the pictures ,very time consuming and very impressive.
hope all goes well on the first start up.
and keep the pictures coming.
:popcorn:

cheers
Phil
By maddog2020
Foiled again by custom stuff. The GB flywheel is thicker than the Porsche one where the timing ring is. When using the 78-79 lower bell housing with the integrated starter bracket it requires quite a bit of clearancing….. f me…. More grinding tomorrow….
By milrad
I sure know that feeling…
By maddog2020
Clutch is sorted. Cooling fans in and wired. Redoing a fuel line as I didn’t like the routing. After I finish grinding on the bell housing everything else happens in the passenger floor board @ the ce panel.
By maddog2020
Bell housing grinding…. 3rd pass finally.

Cooling fans… kind of a home hacked together Derale kit from summit racing and modified.

Installed

Obligatory overhead of the ready to start engine bay.

Link Thunder ECU bracket. I used the factory ECU bracket so I could install the ecu in the factory location

And everyone needs a bag o relay’s. These are new Bosch replacements for all of the 53 relays in the CE panel.

That’s all for this weekend. Have a pre planned dinner with friends.

Yesterday was ironic. I ran to a local hardware store to pick up a few things, and ran into Simon. Didn’t realize that we haunt the same hardware store. He followed me to the house and we were talking about the Tilton hydraulic release bearing. We poked around and we had the pedal actuating the RB by the time he left. That allowed me to get the lower bell housing buttoned up hopefully for final time.

Again, I didn’t get it fired up, but I’m so much closer…..
By linderpat
good stuff Sterling!
By Mrmerlin
I just found this thread well Sterling, your attention to detail is amazing
By maddog2020
I can't count how much time I've spent obsessing about minute details.

Several 928's have been done with ITB's and they all ran amazing, however looking at them was painful for someone with OCD.

It's easy to make stuff functional, but to make it look good and function takes an order of magnitude longer. Deciding that I wanted to engine bay to be as artful as the rest of the car has been a curse.

Getting off TOS and FB allowed me to focus even more intently on the minute details. Hundreds of hours spent scouring the web looking for little fittings or bits I could repurpose. It does crack me up that I used a $10 set of billet spark plug wire clamps for managing the vacuum hoses.

I struggled with how to make the factory throttle quadrant work and look good. I struggled with that for years. I made 6 different brackets and hacked up numerous quadrants. In the end I decided to ditch the cruise control and just use a simple throttle cable. Functional and it blends in. there goes several hundred hours. lol

I still don't even have an airbox figured out yet. Once it is running and I can dyno and tune for different lengths of horns, will determine the airbox shape and design.

I would love to find someone that could make a clear airbox for it... most of the time my budget does not allow for the really cool stuff so I have to make due.
Mrmerlin liked this
By maddog2020
do not take the instrument pod off and leave it out for 2 years. sure I bagged most of the hardware.... friggin jigsaw puzzle to get it back in. taking a break for the rest of today. I'll be working on the ECU wiring tomorrow.
By maddog2020
wired up the oxygen sensors and connected the ecu to the rear harness for the transmission today. (trans temp, reverse lockout, speedometer, backup lights.

Connected the battery, and passed the smoke test. Tested the reverse lights, LED headlights, and reverse lockout.

Not a very productive weekend, but I need some more heat shrink tubing and I needed some down time.
By Tony
maddog2020 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:19 pm wired up the oxygen sensors and connected the ecu to the rear harness for the transmission today. (trans temp, reverse lockout, speedometer, backup lights.

Connected the battery, and passed the smoke test. Tested the reverse lights, LED headlights, and reverse lockout.

Not a very productive weekend, but I need some more heat shrink tubing and I needed some down time.

Slacker...
By ALKada
Sterling, take it from ol Sparky, sometimes ya just gotta fire the architect and just finish the build.

I was replacing my fuel system at the tank, as you know, and thought…gee I could do this, and fix that but then reminded myself to not go all “Sterling” on this and just get the f*er back on the street. As you can see, my OCD is quite dead.
By maddog2020
and now you know how I got the title "Resident Sadistic 928 Modi-holic"
By amdavid
Good stuff, look forward to the fire, looks like you can see the finish line.
By maddog2020
had to backtrack today and re-pin one of the connectors.

adding a completely heat shrinked motorsport harness to the factory CE panel is crazy time consuming. Every time I route some wires, I look at it and picture Sean standing there looking at it and saying "holy mother of god, who dicked with that wiring". Then I re route it. ECU & associated wiring is quite a bit more busy than the factory stuff, sequential injection COP, & a ton more sensors. Adding the transmission harness and an extra O2 sensor really makes this space compact.

Using the factory relays (EZK and LH) to power the Injectors and COP’s, should make for a clean install.

The ecu has the ability to light up multiple check engine lights during different scenarios. The 90 model instrument cluster has a check engine light, (but was not used) and the CE was wired for it, so that will be a low level warning. For a critical warning, I’m going to use the animated timing belt warning if something really needs my attention. I’m using the porkensioner, and since all of us 928 owners are hardwire to skip a few heartbeats, I figure that would get my attention.
By maddog2020
Got the rest of the ECU wired in. Tested fuel system for leaks. Having some issues with the starter logic in the ECU. Either that or some starter logic in me. Made good progress, and was able to crank it with the bump trigger, so I know the FOE and starter are solid.

I felt a good bit like a mad scientist in a movie with me going thru the motions trying to get it started with lightning and thunder rolling.

I know I have been saying I’m really close but this is 99.9 percent there.

Fuel pressure is bleeding off, hopefully it is the pressure regulator & or the check valve & not a stuck injector. I really like the link software, as you can set up digital gauges when you are testing stuff, so I can see I’m just not getting the right signal to the ECU from the ignition key in the start position.

I actually took the tape off the ITB’s because I thought I was going to get it running.
amdavid liked this
By linderpat
soooo close :thumbup:
By maddog2020
getting the cam and crank triggers dialed in. still need to get timing dialed in. I picked up a COP adapter so I can get my timing light on the lead (it won't read COP)
By maddog2020
finally got the cam and crank sensor signals working properly. now I smell a faint combustion smell when cranking. getting closer.
By Tony
maddog2020 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 pm

That is going to sound so good when its dialed in. :rockon:
By ALKada
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]