General discussions related to cars and driving
By Alansglide
Went to the Barrett Jackson auction on Saturday just to do a walk around . While there was plenty of the typical Camaro/Mustang restomods there were a few unique cars to see.

The Maserati Ghibli was Frank Sinatra's car . The convertible was Wayne Newton's Mercedes with a one off custom body. My favorite was the 1966 red Ghia hard top convertible. Was a fun way to waste a few hours. :)
David993S liked this
By linderpat
cool. More of the American muscle traditional auction houses are getting into the Euro classics. Big $ in them.
Alansglide liked this
By fpena944
Alansglide wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:22 pm Went to the Barrett Jackson auction on Saturday just to do a walk around . While there was plenty of the typical Camaro/Mustang restomods there were a few unique cars to see.

The Maserati Ghibli was Frank Sinatra's car . The convertible was Wayne Newton's Mercedes with a one off custom body. My favorite was the 1966 red Ghia hard top convertible. Was a fun way to waste a few hours. :)
Very cool!

Did you stay for the auction part of it? Was wondering how the energy is in person since it seems pretty intense on TV.
By Alansglide
We walked around for about three hours . All of the cars that were for sale or had already sold were in the hall with the sale price marked on the windshield . It was interesting to see which cars were Bringing big money and which cars weren't on the hot list . The action during the auction seemed to be about the same as pre covid levels while I was there. Not many Porsches but a few of interest. Don't remember what year but a black 928 S4 sold for 33k. Paint was reasonable but not great. A 993 cab tiptronic sold for 33.5 k. Again the paint was ok but needed work.
By David993S
Thanks for posting those Alan - cool cars. The silver Ghibli is beautiful. I watched some of it on TV. Saw a few cars that interested me, but not the ones in your pics. Every once in a while I would see something in the background coming up next that interested me (usually European sports or exotic) and the coverage would almost always go to a commercial or some back stage feature. I can only watch so many red Corvettes and custom Camaros, pickup trucks, and restomods before I turn it off.
Alansglide liked this
By linderpat
David993S wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm .... Every once in a while I would see something in the background coming up next that interested me (usually European sports or exotic) and the coverage would almost always go to a commercial or some back stage feature. .....
I know, that drives me nuts too!
By XR4Tim
My friend has a '66 Ghia 450SS. I wonder what this one went for.
By Alansglide
I didn't stay for that part of the auction so have no clue but if your friends car looks like the one at BJ he's got a great looking car.

After doing a little research BJ said the Ghia would auction for 250k plus. Don't know what the final price was.
By XR4Tim
Alansglide wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:38 pm I didn't stay for that part of the auction so have no clue but if your friends car looks like the one at BJ he's got a great looking car.

After doing a little research BJ said the Ghia would auction for 250k plus. Don't know what the final price was.
Yup, same colour, too. And his was the first one built.
Alansglide liked this
By ny991
Alansglide wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:38 pm I didn't stay for that part of the auction so have no clue but if your friends car looks like the one at BJ he's got a great looking car.

The Ghia sold for $220k. It says only about 35 of them left around.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/ ... BLE-247795
Alansglide liked this
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]